Pirep: Garmin Pilot on iPad

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I was on a long x-c with a student this week (423 nm in a C-150!) which gave me ample time to play with Garmin Pilot both on iPad and multiple Android devices. I found the new vector maps on the iPad version make track-up orientation a nice option. Having right-reading text elements helps a lot compared to the raster VFR charts.

Combine that with the split screen and instrument panel results in a pretty useful navigation tool. I hope they get the vector charts on the Android version soon.

20130615-224007.jpg

I did notice a strange anomaly on the sectional charts. There was a red dot with some strange text. First time I've seen something like that. Anyone else seen anything similar?

20130615-224135.jpg

No clue on the red dot, but I have flown ALL of my logged time using Garmin Pilot.

It is a blessing to have that instant view of the sectional while flying, without folding/unfolding the various charts

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

No clue on the red dot, but I have flown ALL of my logged time using Garmin Pilot.

It is a blessing to have that instant view of the sectional while flying, without folding/unfolding the various charts.

Tablet technologies are a godsend to pilots.

I did notice a strange anomaly on the sectional charts. There was a red dot with some strange text. First time I've seen something like that. Anyone else seen anything similar?

Copyright notice or similar, looks like the C in a circle. DCI(Digital Cyclone) is the Garmin Subsidiary that actually makes Pilot.

What do u like better garmin or foreflight? Do u notice foreflight estimated time arrival to be off?

What do u like better garmin or foreflight? Do u notice foreflight estimated time arrival to be off?

ForeFlight's user interface is much more intuitive than Garmin Pilot, thus much easier to use, in my opinion. I get exactly what I wont from FF without ever scratching my head. With GP, not so much.... Having to constantly go through their Home menu to get somewhere is very tedious. Their whole bifurcated flight planning is VERY unintuitive....and for me, frustrating. FF is also better in the general flight planning, weather briefing and filing process...very simple, very straight forward and just works. I also find their airport info page much easier to use and like the integrated A/FD. Oh, and the documents feature in FF is wonderful....I use it heavily!

What I DO like about GP are the new vector maps. I also like the little timer widget that's always available at the top of the screen. I like the erase feature on their notepad which FF doesn't have. I REALLY like their split screen capability and pseudo instrument panel with the HSI representation. I just find that very easy to navigate with. I also LOVE that they create dynamic binders for the departure and destination airports, making approach plates readily available for both...such a simple thing, but very powerful.

Since there was a solid dozen threads on Garmin Pilot, I revived this one rather distracting from the Android thread. I have Pilot on both an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I opted for the 7 rather than a mini iPad due to price alone. Although it works fine, I am getting tired of always seeing it in catch up mode with iOS version.

So, when the next mini is released, I am looking to go back to iOS versions only. I have a question for those who may have both an iPad and an iPad mini with Pilot. Are the versions the same? Do they share the same updates? I would expect so, but you never know...

Since there was a solid dozen threads on Garmin Pilot, I revived this one rather distracting from the Android thread. I have Pilot on both an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I opted for the 7 rather than a mini iPad due to price alone. Although it works fine, I am getting tired of always seeing it in catch up mode with iOS version.

So, when the next mini is released, I am looking to go back to iOS versions only. I have a question for those who may have both an iPad and an iPad mini with Pilot. Are the versions the same? Do they share the same updates? I would expect so, but you never know...

An iPad is an iPad is an iPad....there are not different versions for mini vs. full-sized iPad. It's one version.

I wish Pilot had the option for extended centerlines. I really like that in Foreflight, it makes pattern entry a snap.

I wish Pilot had the option for extended centerlines. I really like that in Foreflight, it makes pattern entry a snap.

I have to agree...it's handier than I originally thought. With the wide variation of runway layouts it's nice to see the numbers displayed when you can't remember if they have RWY 13 or RWY 12.

I have to agree...it's handier than I originally thought. With the wide variation of runway layouts it's nice to see the numbers displayed when you can't remember if they have RWY 13 or RWY 12.

And you don't have to look at the DG or HSI when approaching the airport to figure out the best way to maneuver to enter the pattern gracefully. I think with the number of times people get set up on the opposite runway from what is intended that this is a big safety tool.

Absolutely agree! I also like the pattern entry algorithm they have put into the flight planning section as well. Makes for a nice visual reference when approaching an airport when flying under VFR.

repyde3y.jpg

Last edited:
An iPad is an iPad is an iPad....there are not different versions for mini vs. full-sized iPad. It's one version.

Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be disappointed by them turning something off on the mini because of screen size.

the red dot..........could be where Jimmy Hoffa is buried?

I hate to ask repetitive questions, but maybe someone can point me to the right thread.....is Foreflight ONLY for ipad, but most of the others are for any device? I'm considering the new nexus 7 just for price alone, but am leaning towards foreflight as an app. also don't mean to hijack the thread.

the red dot..........could be where Jimmy Hoffa is buried?

I hate to ask repetitive questions, but maybe someone can point me to the right thread.....is Foreflight ONLY for ipad, but most of the others are for any device? I'm considering the new nexus 7 just for price alone, but am leaning towards foreflight as an app. also don't mean to hijack the thread.

ForeFlight and WingX only will work on iOS devices. I have a Nexus 7 and can only run my Garmin Pilot on it although I have ForeFlight as well.

Last edited:
ForeFlight and WingX only will work on iOS devices. I have a Nexus 7 and can only run my Garmin Pilot on it although I have ForeFlight as well.

If AOPA gets enough requests they will consider putting FlyQ EFB on Android. The boys in Seattle are ready to do it and have the Android experience.

If AOPA gets enough requests they will consider putting FlyQ EFB on Android. The boys in Seattle are ready to do it and have the Android experience.

That's an app I haven't tried yet.

Is there any particular place to contact them? Their FlyQ app is handy enough on Android (though it doesn't really handle portrait mode efficiently on tablets - lots of wasted space and the weather radar map looks comical when stretched horizontally). It would be nice to have more options than just Garmin Pilot.

Back