Pirep for MDW

N467PS

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
I'm going to be visiting children this week. Flying out of my home base of Gillette WY (GCC) to Iowa City (IOW), a flight I've done many times. Later in the week up to Chicago to visit another kid who has just moved there. I've always flown into DuPage (KDPA) and I've loved their service and ease of access. However, this will be a quick trip and Midway (KMDW) would put me nearly in my son's back pocket.

I'll be flying a Mooney Ovation, VFR, with flight following. Any advice, experience, pointers?

It's relatively easy. Try to avoid coming or going during the SWA pushes. Keep your speed up. Expect some fees but the convenience makes up for it. I used Atlantic And had no complaints.

Been a few years but have flown in there many times without a problem.

The few times I flew into MDW VFR with flight following I was dropped around Gary coming from east and told to squak 1200 and contact MDW 20 miles from airport. Not a big deal but a little strange. They didn't give me the option to switch to ORD appch or center.

The controllers were real easy to work with and brought me in directly from the south over mid field for visual right or left base. I also remember the first time landing ground control noticed hesitation in my voice and started progressive taxi without even asking.

Pretty easy, and neat crossing over mid field with big jets landing and departing below you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back