PIREP - FLITELite headset-mounted light

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I've used a variety of headset mounted light systems over the years - starting with the Blackout Light and then a small green light, both fastened onto headset ear cup. They were nice as they offered hands-free illumination wherever I turned my head. Recently I lost the green light and tried making a night flight with "just" a small handheld flashlight. Was a comparitive PITA, so I set out to replace my headset light. No joy - none of the systems I'd used before were still manufactured. But then at pilotmall.com I saw the FLITELite which mounts to the mic boom and slings some LEDs underneath the microphone. I traced that back to the manufacturer site (www.flitelite.com) and found that there was a second-generation version available for less money than the first gen system available on pilotmall.com.

So I ordered one for .05 AMUs (that's $50) and it arrived today. I'm very impressed by the manufacturing - the mount for my lightspeed headset mic fits perfectly. I took it into a windowless room for testing and it worked as advertised. Touching the mouth-facing sensor with a lip for about half a second turns the light on or off, and I can adjust the brightness by touching the front-facing sensor. The light illuminates whatever I'm facing with a soft white-green light that allows for easy reading of charts.

So far I'm pretty happy - we'll see how it stands up to routine use over the next 90 days or so.

Oh, and they sent me a free finger-lite to test as well.

I have played around with this type of thing and found that if a "head mount" light is below my eyes it causes a problem when I am writing on my kneeboard -- my hand's shadow covers the writing area. The lower the light, the bigger the problem.

Yes - I'm sorry I forgot. Took it night flying a few weeks ago. Worked quite well, and it's since stood up to normal use. So I would recommend it.

Yes - I'm sorry I forgot. Took it night flying a few weeks ago. Worked quite well, and it's since stood up to normal use. So I would recommend it.

What color did you get? White?

Military aviatiors have used lip lites and finger lites for many years. I keep them on my headset and in my bag. They are very nice for poorly lit airframes.

Back