Piper's first flight!! (LONG!)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
After getting the advice on where to let Piper "go" I decided it was time to see if he'd be my flying buddy afterall!

He was so well behaved, but I learned a few things about dogs and where to put him on the one flight (after a few stops). My original plan was to go to Socorro (KONM) as I needed that one for my 57 in 365 challenge. It is just over 60nm away from my home, and figured it'd be a good test.

It was HOT! HOT HOT HOT! and Piper was showing signs of overheating before we even got into the plane. I figured things would cool off a bit when we got higher so I muscled on after giving him some ice water right before we left.

While it did cool down, it didn't cool down enough and even in the air Piper was hot and panting. I had him in the passenger seat with me, on the leash, which was hooked around the seat to keep him from moving too much. It didn't work, as he started to search for the source of the flowing air (the back seat air vent was open) so he worked his way around to where he was half in the front seat and half on the rear seat in a very uncomfortable position. I kept moving him to the front seat (keeping my eye on the flying also) and after a while gave up. I had his "room" (the crate) set up in the back as well in case he freaked out I could quickly toss him in the crate so I wouldn't wind up being a statistic.

I landed at Belen (E80), which is about half way to Socorro so that I could find a better way to arrange him and to get him some water. I haven't yet found a way to give him water without the turbulence sloshing all the water out on the new leather interior. At Belen, one of the really nice line guys gave me a bottle of cold water for him so I wouldn't have to give him hose water and both Piper and I appreciated it. The ramp asphalt was hot as hell, so I took him for a walk around to a dirt patch where I figured he'd want to "go". He didn't.

When we went back to the plane, Piper sought out the shade of the wing and I tied his leash to the tie down ring on the airplane so he wouldn't wander off while I preflighted. He seemed to like watching me from the shade, and I don't blame him. I could have used some shade myself :D.

I had a bit of a stroke of genious at that point and found an excellent way to keep him in the plane and still give him room to screw around if he wants (without him getting into trouble). His leash has an extra hand hold right by the collar hook for people to stop their dogs in a hurry. I fit the rear seatbelt through the hole in the leash and hooked Piper up. He has about 1.5 feet to move around in if he needs to, which keeps him on the seat but still able to stand up and move around if he needs! And he doesn't mind either.

Up we went again, and headed back north (I had given up on Socorro. At this point I was getting a bit tired and so was Piper. I hadn't realized how much walking we had done on the ramp, but it was a lot in the heat). I decided to hit up Albuquerque International Sunport (6nm away from home) because I still needed to do that one for my quest. I landed, snapped some pictures, talked to a really nice (and attractive) female pilot that had come in a Citation who just loved my dog (he's a chick magnet for sure). She pet my dog and we BSed for a while about how great it was to fly out west.

There's another story here, but I'll save it for the report on KABQ for the quest. We headed back to Double Eagle at this point and called it a day. Piper fell asleep in the back seat (with the air vent dumping cool air right in his face) and all was good.

The turbulence was nuts. Piper floated a few times, and he didn't care one bit. I found a winner in that dog. He's a good flyer and very well behaved! Yay!

Sorry if this is too many pictures. This was an exciting day!

Pictures:
1) Piper's ready to go. Here's my leash daddy!
2) On the back porch. Come on daddy, lets fly
3) In the truck, waiting for me to get in
4) While preflighting, Piper finds shade in the hangar
5) Taxiing to runway 17, Piper climbs on daddy's lap to look outside
6) Piper finally stops trying to get in the backseat and lies down in the passenger seat's airflow
7) At Belen, while I'm securing the airplane
8) "What are you doing, daddy?"
9) Boy he's good at finding shade
10 and 11) Piper in shade during preflight
12) Piper in the backseat, secured, and smiling
13) Hey look - Piper finds shade at KABQ!
14) On the way back home, he finally just falls asleep.

Attachments

• Piper is ready to go.jpg
    Piper is ready to go.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Lets go flying daddy.jpg
    Lets go flying daddy.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 63
  • On the way to the airport.jpg
    On the way to the airport.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Piper finds shade in hangar.jpg
    Piper finds shade in hangar.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Looking out window during taxi.jpg
    Looking out window during taxi.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 59
  • After He Calmed Down.jpg
    After He Calmed Down.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Hot Dog on Hot Leather.jpg
    Hot Dog on Hot Leather.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Piper in front seat E80.jpg
    Piper in front seat E80.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 44
  • Piper on ramp E80.jpg
    Piper on ramp E80.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Piper under wing E80.jpg
    Piper under wing E80.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 37
  • Piper under wing E80 2.jpg
    Piper under wing E80 2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 33
  • Piper Backseat.jpg
    Piper Backseat.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Piper and Cutter.jpg
    Piper and Cutter.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Piper Sleeping Backseat.jpg
    Piper Sleeping Backseat.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Great pics, Nick - and you've got a good lookin' dog, there!

I'm reading a book called Marley and Me about a pooch that looks a lot like you're guy!

Nick,

First it sounds like you have a great flying partner. Second you might want to try a large (rabbit type) water bottle and place a bowl under it so when it drips the bowl will catch it and Piper can drink as needed. I used the water battle in the crate when I was crate training and it worked well.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Hi Nick,

Awwwwww, so cute! It sounds like you have a great flying partner and I'm sure he's going to be enjoying more trips with "Daddy" in the near future. Maybe once he gets a little bigger and more comfortable, he'll need a brother, "Cessna" to take a ride with him...heh

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Hi Nick,

Awwwwww, so cute! It sounds like you have a great flying partner and I'm sure he's going to be enjoying more trips with "Daddy" in the near future. Maybe once he gets a little bigger and more comfortable, he'll need his brother, "Cessna" to take a ride with him...heh

Jason

Nah, then he'd have dogs fighting all over the back seat. Or Cessna would simply refuse to get into the low-wing. :D

wbarnhill said:
Nah, then he'd have dogs fighting all over the back seat. Or Cessna would simply refuse to get into the low-wing. :D

...such aviation geeks we are. That one gave me a laugh, William.

rmciottijr said:
I used the water battle in the crate when I was crate training and it worked well. Hope this helps,Bob
So you're sayin' you never got thirsty, then? :D

Once I stopped peeing on the floor my wife let me out and I was able to drink out of the toilet.:vomit:

Your story is a great illustration of why I love dogs and hated living in the SW. It's too hot! Our dogs like the NW better, too!

He sure is cute. I'd leave him in the back seat with the vent. I'm not sure I get how you could "quickly" get him to the back seat if he starts acting up.

The only thing I worry about with my dogs is the noise, but I have yet to see a workable solution for protecting their ears. I haven't taken them up, partly for that reason. But lots of people do fly with dogs, so it's just me, and I'm not saying others shouldn't.

What a great companion!

Judy

judypilot said:
Your story is a great illustration of why I love dogs and hated living in the SW. It's too hot! Our dogs like the NW better, too!

He sure is cute. I'd leave him in the back seat with the vent. I'm not sure I get how you could "quickly" get him to the back seat if he starts acting up.

The only thing I worry about with my dogs is the noise, but I have yet to see a workable solution for protecting their ears. I haven't taken them up, partly for that reason. But lots of people do fly with dogs, so it's just me, and I'm not saying others shouldn't.

What a great companion!

Judy

Thanks! As far as getting him into the cage quickly, I had it in the back, door open. I would have literally grabbed him, thrown him him, and closed the door. Then landed and made sure he was ok. Its a moot point now that I've found a way to keep him in place and comfortable now!

I thought it was a good idea. Maybe it wouldn't have worked tho. Guess I'll never know :D :D

SkyHog said:
Thanks! As far as getting him into the cage quickly, I had it in the back, door open. I would have literally grabbed him, thrown him him, and closed the door. Then landed and made sure he was ok. Its a moot point now that I've found a way to keep him in place and comfortable now!

I thought it was a good idea. Maybe it wouldn't have worked tho. Guess I'll never know :D :D

Might work while he's still a puppy, but I dunno. I know you're a guy and therefore have upper body strength that I don't have, but one thing I have learned over the years is that dogs are REALLY strong. Trying to get them to do something they don't want to do when you're in an awkward position is really tough.

I'd hate for Piper to become a statistic. And you, too.:yes: ;)

Judy

rmciottijr said:
Nick,

you might want to try a large (rabbit type) water bottle and place a bowl under it so when it drips the bowl will catch it and Piper can drink as needed. I used the water battle in the crate when I was crate training and it worked well.

Hope this helps,
Bob
www.pet-supply-store.us/products-about-Lixit.php

Last edited:
I'm glad you both had a good trip. But if it's really hot, you might want to consider leaving him home. Pups can get heatstroke and die very quickly from overheating and it would be awful to have that happen.

Dogs release excess heat by panting and through their pads (bottom of feet). If he seems very hot, get his feet into water. You don't want it freezing cold; even a puddle is good. Hosing him down on a hot day at the airport (if you are going to be there for a while) will also help. Also, don't force him to drink freezing cold water, it isn't great for his tummy. Any water that isn't smoking hot will do.

Best wishes for you and your new copilot, Nick!

terry

Bertha D. Bulldog could not handle heat. She used to look at me as if to say, "I'm hot! Fix it!"

I used to drape a cold wet towel over her. That helped a lot. Make use of evaporative cooling. They can't do it on their own like we can.

Nick'

There was an ad for "doggie ear muffs" in this month's AOPA magazine. He probably would be most comfortable in his crate.

Scott

redcloud said:
Nick'

There was an ad for "doggie ear muffs" in this month's AOPA magazine. He probably would be most comfortable in his crate.

Scott

Perhaps there's a market for an ANR kennel?

Thanks for the kind words guys. I decided against the mutt muffs until hes a bit older because his head is so small right now, I don't think they'd stay on.

When he's older, I'll try them. Not sure how they'll work tho.

Nick,

What a great-looking dog! He's such a cutie I forgot to check out your plane in the pics. :D

Are you bringing him to Gaston's?

redcloud said:
Gee, Jason.

I was just tryin to help.
Hi Scott,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier (it's been a really long week). I truly apologize...I didn't mean to be so bold and direct about posting the link to the product. :redface: I wrote that post very quickly and didn't have time to include anything else, so that's probably why it seemed so direct.

Thanks for pointing out the product to Nick. Again, sorry if there was a miscommunication in the process. It's a pretty cool product and gives me a laugh every time I view the pictures on their site...:yes:

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited:
Awesome. My mother and I just spent the last 25 minutes looking at this thread going "Ohh...how cute!!"

Piper's all growed up now. Kind of sad.

Attachments

• IMAGE_003.jpg
    IMAGE_003.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Awesome. My mother and I just spent the last 25 minutes looking at this thread going "Ohh...how cute!!"

Piper's all growed up now. Kind of sad.

Not only cute, but obviously such a good, calm, well behaved puppy. Did he NEVER eat one of your shoes? :D

Back