Piper Warrior - RPM Question

newbiepilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
newbiepilot
Hey guys,

Last week, I pre-flighted my piper fine and lined up for take off. I gently added full power. The RPM was set to 2500 and did not move above that. Airspeed was alive and at 60, I rotated. After few minutes at full throttle still, RPM moved to 2550.

In the past, all the time I have seen the needle to move to the max RPM (i think 2700).

Any ideas what could be wrong. Btw it was very hot that day (97 degrees).

TIA

Did you try leaning to see if it would rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I did not. Density Altitude was around 1900

Did everything check out during the runup? (Smooth mags and appropriate gauges in the green?)

If mags and everything checked out I would try leaning a bit next time. A lot of variables though, hot day, somewhat high DA, was it humid?

2500 STATIC RPM?

That's abnormally high for a Warrior.

If you were flying, it's airspeed that determines how high that goes.

As for what could cause poor power, a too tight or too loose friction lock could do that, as could leaving the carb heat on.

If mags and everything checked out I would try leaning a bit next time. A lot of variables though, hot day, somewhat high DA, was it humid
1900' is a pretty low DA and depending on the W&B, should not considerably affect performance.

1900' is a pretty low DA and depending on the W&B, should not considerably affect performance.

I'm too used to my 100' DA in the Midwest winters and 3000' during summers!

I've never seen a Warrior redline on takeoff. Even 2500 seems a little high. Edit. Just saw that you didn't give a model. I agree with the below poster

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Last week, I pre-flighted my piper fine and lined up for take off. I gently added full power. The RPM was set to 2500 and did not move above that. Airspeed was alive and at 60, I rotated. After few minutes at full throttle still, RPM moved to 2550.

In the past, all the time I have seen the needle to move to the max RPM (i think 2700).

Any ideas what could be wrong. Btw it was very hot that day (97 degrees).

TIA

Which Piper? If it's a constant speed prop maybe there is a governor issue.

Look at the manual or Type Certificate Data Sheet (here) to find the minimum and maximum static runup limits (i.e., airplane stopped on the ground, standard conditions, no wind) for your particular model and prop. For example, a PA-28-151 with a Sensenich M74DM6 has to be between 2275 and 2375 rpm static. For a PA-28-161 with Sensenich 74DM6-0-60, it's 2330-2430. As soon as you put some wind through the prop it will gradually increase, so 2500 on the takeoff roll sounds about right.

If it was ever turning 2700 rpm on the ground, something was really wrong.

Last edited:
Look at the manual or Type Certificate Data Sheet (here) to find the minimum and maximum static runup limits (i.e., airplane stopped on the ground, standard conditions, no wind) for your particular model and prop. For example, a PA-28-151 with a Sensenich M74DM6 has to be between 2275 and 2375 rpm static. For a PA-28-161 with Sensenich 74DM6-0-60, it's 2330-2430. As soon as you put some wind through the prop it will gradually increase, so 2500 on the takeoff roll sounds about right.

Your link point to -
Touring Reagan Library with President Reagan

Your link does not point to the TCDS site like you intended. Broken link?

That's what I fly.

It was probably the heat. On very hot and humid days, the RPM (in air) won't get above 2500 for me. On the ground, even lower, like 2300-2350 max.

One time, a few months ago (cold winter day), I aborted my takeoff because it would not go above 2100-2200. And that was on a very cold day. I would not worry about 2500.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/low-rpm.89123/#post-1985638

Back