Piper sport

That appears to be a link to an email message in your yahoo email account. It is not something that I can see unless you wish to share your login and password with me and everyone else.

But Piper already has an LSA. It was called a J-3.

But Piper already has an LSA. It was called a J-3.

There are some people who for inexplicable reasons prefer vehicles that do not appear to have been designed around the time of the outbreak of WWII.

There are some people who for inexplicable reasons prefer vehicles that do not appear to have been designed around the time of the outbreak of WWII.

Well in that case the J-3 is perfect since it's origins lie in the Taylor E-2 introduced in 1930, well before the outbreak of WWII :D

This, maybe?

Piper Aircraft kicked off the U.S. Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring, Fla., on Jan. 21 with an announcement that it is importing and rebranding the Czech Sport Aircraft Sport Cruiser as Piper’s entry into the light sport aircraft market.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2010/100121piper.html?WT.adv=adv1

Trapper John
Not much different than when Chevy imported the Suzuki Sidekick and called it a Chevy Tracker and jacked up the price. I wonder what the price difference will be between the Piper version and the Czech version?

Not much different than when Chevy imported the Suzuki Sidekick and called it a Chevy Tracker and jacked up the price. I wonder what the price difference will be between the Piper version and the Czech version?

Yeah, I thought it was interesting there was no mention at all about pricing.

I wonder what the story is with the now former distributor...

Trapper John

Trapper John

Used to be manufactured by CZAW (Czech Aircraft Works) and they went bankrupt. The new company Czech Sport Aircraft was formed about a year ago to pick up where CZAW left off.

As far as LSA's go the Sportcruiser is in the top five and has one of the best useful loads of the lot. When I started back training in 2008 my first 3 hours were in a Sportcruiser and I enjoyed it.

They should be able to sell these. It will be good competition to the 162.

http://www.newpiper.com/home/pages/PiperSport.cfm

Last edited:

There is no price difference from what I've seen. All Piper is doing is basically putting their name on the thing. If they market it well for a while, it has the potential to really hurt the Cessna Skycatcher. The recent delay in deliveries, coupled with the ability to get an LSA from one of the big companies now, might cause a big shift.

The big thing here is the potential to have a really big Rotax service network, care of Piper service centers. If that gets going, I think the Rotax will really catch on.

Wow, that's a direction in which I didn't see them going. Maybe they're trying to pick up the back end of the Matrix/Mirage/Meridian/Jet progression, when pilots lose their medical and have to go back to the basics. Interesting.

Also interesting that this is the same approach Cirrus adopted then dropped (rebranding an existing LSA).

... when Chevy imported the Suzuki Sidekick and called it a Chevy Tracker ...

I miss the little Chevy Luv truck I had in high school. Essentially the predecessor of the Isuzu P'up in a Chevy wrapper. But it could really take the hard beating a teenage driver put onto it and remain nearly bullet proof.

Trapper John

Pricing is displayed on Piper's website

$120k for the Piper Sport
$130k for the Piper Sport LT
$140k for the Piper Sport LTD

But nothing there (yet) to explain what the extra $10k or $20k gets ya.

For me, I really like the overall look of this craft. Especially the canopy. What a view from that office the pilot and passenger must have.

If they take some of the design cues from the Sport and apply it to new aircraft coming off of the assembly line, I definitely would be an interested party for future purchase.

Wow, that's a direction in which I didn't see them going. Maybe they're trying to pick up the back end of the Matrix/Mirage/Meridian/Jet progression, when pilots lose their medical and have to go back to the basics.

I think I saw something in the news blurbs about the Sport that Piper is trying the marketing angle of "get them into this aircraft, get them to like what Piper brings to the table, then we can have a Piper customer for life".

Get them into the Sport, then they want an Archer, then they want the Matrix/Mirage/Meridian.

Pricing is displayed on Piper's website

$120k for the Piper Sport
$130k for the Piper Sport LT
$140k for the Piper Sport LTD

But nothing there (yet) to explain what the extra $10k or $20k gets ya.

For me, I really like the overall look of this craft. Especially the canopy. What a view from that office the pilot and passenger must have.

If they take some of the design cues from the Sport and apply it to new aircraft coming off of the assembly line, I definitely would be an interested party for future purchase.

You'll find your answers here http://www.czechsportaircraft.com/sportcruiser.html

The differences are what goes in the panel. The basic Sport is a training airplane with steam gauges up to the LTD with glass.

It is a nice plane. I have three hours in a CZAW Sportcruiser and I enjoyed flying it.

I think I saw something in the news blurbs about the Sport that Piper is trying the marketing angle of "get them into this aircraft, get them to like what Piper brings to the table, then we can have a Piper customer for life".

Get them into the Sport, then they want an Archer, then they want the Matrix/Mirage/Meridian.

Nobody buys a new Archer if they aren't running a flight school. I'd buy a DA40 or S20 before an Archer.

I would love to get one of these for my rental operation if they do well....

Nobody buys a new Archer if they aren't running a flight school. I'd buy a DA40 or S20 before an Archer.

Me too. Thank goodness for Diamond and Cirrus. Without them we'd still be stuck with the same old cr*p.

Me too. Thank goodness for Diamond and Cirrus. Without them we'd still be stuck with the same old cr*p.

Sure, let's send the 25,000+ PA-28s to the crusher since they are crap. God forbid someone would want a simple, easy to repair and maintain aircraft. :rolleyes:

Trapper John

Sure, let's send the 25,000+ PA-28s to the crusher since they are crap. God forbid someone would want a simple, easy to repair and maintain aircraft. :rolleyes:

Trapper John

I'm flying a DA20 now and its great but I miss the Cherokee. I did my checkride in one, and if I was in a position to buy (just dreaming now) I'd probably start there.

Trapper John

Well, not that so much as why spend the same $$$ on 1950s technology when you can get 1990s technology? A new Archer just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, not that so much as why spend the same $$$ on 1950s technology when you can get 1990s technology? A new Archer just doesn't make sense to me.

New, not so much. But used? Sure. Will we see 50 year old Cirri flying? Time will tell, but my guess is no. Plus, you won't be able to get salvage yard Cirrus parts, since pretty much every Cirrus crash ends with a broom and dustpan recovery operation.

Trapper John

New, not so much. But used? Sure. Will we see 50 year old Cirri flying? Time will tell, but my guess is no. Plus, you won't be able to get salvage yard Cirrus parts, since pretty much every Cirrus crash ends with a broom and dustpan recovery operation.

Trapper John

Agreed...the company I fly for sold the sr-22 as we became convinced it was turning into a pile of white dust (total lemon) ..just had that low quality plastic/velcrow feeling...Beech /Piper etc..doesnt.

Last edited:
Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em. The market for 180hp 125kt cruisers ain't what it used to be.

Is it a stick, a side-stick, or a yoke?

Agreed...the company I fly for sold the sr-22 as we became convinced it was turning into a pile of white dust (total lemon) ..just had that low quality plastic/velcrow feeling...Beech /Piper etc..doesnt.

That does lead to an interesting question, specifically, what will I get when I dispose of the aircraft in question at some point in the future?

$600k Cirrus today will be worth what 20 years from now? Might be something, might be zero, might have to pay to have the composite structure disposed of at a recycling facility.

$600k Mooney today, well, at least you have some history to work with. Probably won't have to pay to have it hauled off 20 years from now.

Trapper John

I wonder if the same durability comments we are hearing about composite planes where heard about aluminum planes from the rag and tube guys back in the 30's/40's, or about rag and tube aircraft from the wood devotees before that.

I can't understand paying all that money for some of these LSA's. Are they
cute? Sometimes. But you can build an RV-12 for a little over 60k, a Sonex
for a little under 30k. Or you can buy one someone else built. In the LSA
arena they can only go so fast.

RT

RT

While I would love to build my own, I can think of a few reasons:

1) I don't know if I have the skills to build my own aircraft.

2) I don't have a place to build my own aircraft.

3) I don't have the time to build my own aircraft.

4) I don't know enough about experimentals to know if the aircraft
built by someone else is ok.

Separate sticks between the knees.

Thanks to those that answered. My own preference would be
for the stick between the knees - where it belongs :)

I've flown a side-stick and didn't like it. I much prefer to be
able to fly with either hand

RT

The first market I can think of is instruction/rental. SLSAs can be used for primary instruction and rental. Not so with experimentals.

The second market segment is the affluent, older pilot. This pilot is one who has a ton of money (or at least enough to buy a $100K+ SLSA) and is concerned about the medical. For that guy, he wouldn't buy an RV-12 ELSA for the same reason why he owned a Cirrus or Bonanza, instead of buying an RV-10. They want a factory built plane with factory support.

I agree with you Roger, experimental is the way to go, but some have a problem flying an airplane that's home built.

RT

Separate sticks between the knees.

Yeah, should have clarified on that. Fighter jet style should have been the "correct" term :D. I looked at the plane today and was pleasantly surprised. Looked really nice (not that it didn't prior to being a Piper) and I every time came by the Piper area, it seemed busy.

Yeah, should have clarified on that. Fighter jet style should have been the "correct" term :D. I looked at the plane today and was pleasantly surprised. Looked really nice (not that it didn't prior to being a Piper) and I every time came by the Piper area, it seemed busy.

Just as an aside if you go to the Czech Sport Aircraft website now you get redirected to Piper.

Back