Piper Pa28 switch panel

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Does anyone have any experience in changing out the switches in the center panel of Piper PA 28 (ie. master, fuel pump etc)? I want to install a split switch for strobes. I can get to the top of the assembly, but all looks very...closed up.

I found this description on a newsgroup:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.aviation.owning/pCJTr8j-rQk
First you need to disconnect the battery. You will be working with the one and only hot wire going to the instrument panel for the main switch.

You next need to free the switch assembly from the panel. The 4 screws in the face are the easy ones. There are also 3 (or 4?) ABOVE the switch assembly. Generally, you need to remove the bottom radio (or whatever occupies that space). Once the bottom unit is removed, you either can access the screws with a stubby Phillips or a 90 degree phillips through an opening in the tray, or you need to take the screws put of the front tray mount and try to push it backwards to get access.

After it is free, you then need to push it back and then work under the panel (upside down) to get the dimmer/switch wiring undone. I believe the mounting screws are in the front but I cannot remember. The rocker switch screws are in the front.

Just curious, where did you find the switch you're going to install? I'm considering adding strobes also.

Back