Piper down at SSI (St. Simons Island)

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
At least it appears to be a piper.

From a friend (who knows aviation)

"Hey Look!!! Someone decided to drop in on one of my neighbors this morning at 11:00! No one hurt, except for the pilot's ego. It was coming in (that would've been RWY 22 considering the location of her house), sounded low and slow, and then thump."

Registration indicates it's a 'PA28 out of Bessimer, AL

Attachments

• IMG951262.jpg
    IMG951262.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 886
I went to an AYA (Grumman Type Club) fly in at SSI. Nice airport with long runways (for obvious reasons).

Okay, I'll do my Dr. Bruce impersonation...

No fire, must not have been a cirrus! :)

At least it appears to be a piper.

From a friend (who knows aviation)

"Hey Look!!! Someone decided to drop in on one of my neighbors this morning at 11:00! No one hurt, except for the pilot's ego. It was coming in (that would've been RWY 22 considering the location of her house), sounded low and slow, and then thump."

Registration indicates it's a 'PA28 out of Bessimer, AL

Yikes - I have the same paint job on mine - makes it a little too real.

The slope must have helped with the rooftop short-field landing.

Man, this guy really has his short field landing down pat. Glad they were both okay.

My brother saw it on the news and called me today to make sure it wasn't me. I fly in and out of KSSI a good bit. Neither of my brothers fly and they worry about something happening to me. I always tell them I worry more about the drive to and from the airport way more than my flights. If I ever get into an emergency situation like they had, I hope I can manage to do as well.

SSI is a great little airport,with long easy runways,must have been Santa ,who made a hard landing. Glad all involved are OK.

SSI = Soul Food BBQ !

It's Southern Soul and Its not that good. Just because it was on Triple D, it gets a lot of play. Their pulled pork is good, but they just fail to make the mark on everything else. Their side just suck. Taste like they are out of a can or Reese's plastic tub.

I've eaten Southern Soul more times than I can count. It's very good, but I don't think it's the "bee's knees."

I don't care what anyone says..... I'll take B&Js in Darian all day, every day, twice on Sunday. I'm in love with that place. I strayed once to Mudcat Charlie's ....I felt dirty like I had cheated on B&Js.

On the Island, I'll walk right past SSB over to Fancy Qs every time. But I'm spoiled here in AR. I've been all over the country and go out of my way to find new BBQ spots. We are spoiled here. They figured it out. Now if I could just convince a spot to do Santa Maria BBQ out here I'd never leave.

It's Southern Soul and Its not that good. Their side just suck. Taste like they are out of a can or Reese's plastic tub.

I don't care what anyone says..... I'll take B&Js in Darian all day, every day, twice on Sunday. I'm in love with that place.

Sitting here now (B&J's). Just finished up. It sucked! You diss southern soul's sides but think the slop that B&J's serve is good?

On the Island, I'll walk right past SSB over to Fancy Qs every time.

Now THAT ONE we can agree on! Fancy Q's is probably one of the top ten sushi places I've ever been in...and I've been in more than my share. And cheap too.

Last edited:
Sitting here now. Just finished up. It sucked! You diss southern soul's sides but think the slop that B&J's serve is good?

I had lunch there a few hours ago. I couldn't find parking but the line was short. I've been hooked on the turkey for a few weeks.

Southern Soul or B&J's?

I'm laying in bed not 1/2 a block from Southern Soul as I type.

Yea....SS sucks. Wanna be BBQ. Their claim to fame is Diners Drive ins and Dives. That's all they have going for them. But, they are really the only game in town so when in Rome......

Don't tell me you had a steak at B&Js....... The seafood is outstanding.

The seafood was just okay at B&J's. The sides were out of a can. The price was outrageous for what it was. I'll take Barbara Jeans, Crab Daddy's, Georgia Sea Grill or The Crab Shack any day over B&J's but, hey, it was a new experience...I'm all about new experiences.

I'd rather they be good ones though. :)

I haven't been there for about a year, but nothing was from a can when I was there. But, I always go on a Sat night for the seafood buffet. Never ordered off the menu.

Too bad you didn't have a good experience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back