Piper Cherokee Six - First time at the controls.

My Flybaby runs about $14/hr in car gas and isn't much slower than a 150. Cost less than your car.

I know but I can't afford the tie down, insurance, annual (aka recurring fees).

In the end, I will spend less flying the way I fly now. $80 per hour is tough to beat.

I know but I can't afford the tie down, insurance, annual (aka recurring fees).

In the end, I will spend less flying the way I fly now. $80 per hour is tough to beat.
For most pilots owning is about convenience and other intangibles, not saving money. But if you fly enough owning can become the less expensive alternative. In Jesse's case if he can find a hangar for $100/month (plausible in his neck of the woods) his total annual fixed cost ought to be around $3500-$4500. If he pays $30/hr for fuel, operationally induced maintenance (e.g. oil, tires, brakes etc) plus engine reserves his break even point vs your $80 150 is 70-90 hrs per year. If he flies more than that he saves money (assuming there was a 150 for rent @$80/hr wet) but even if he flies a bit less, for a relatively small amount per month he gets to fly when he wants without scheduling and has the pride of ownership thing going as well.

Last edited:
FWIW - I pay $65/mo for my hangar...and there are plenty of them. I like the middle of the U.S.

Remind me one year from now and I'll post my cost per hour. I can probably throw the acquisition cost in and still be lower than a local 150 rental.

Warrior is $84/wet and the Cherokee Six is $145.00/wet (According to my calculator it is 57% more but it's faster and can hold more people. PM me if you want more info Chris.

More information about our club is located www.blue-horizons.org
Nice...I think the rental Cherokee 140's at ABQ rent for $140 and they're likely a bit more on the ratty side compared to your 6.

Last edited:
Got a chance to fly the Cherokee Six again. Seemed to go much better. Memorizing the numbers for the manifold pressure and RPM's for cruise flight and for the pattern. The point of doing the training has been fulfilled -feel confident on the flight to FL in a few weeks. CFI is going along (for the ride and to help with the little hills we call the Appalachian - I hear they are not mountains in comparison to the Rockies but they're higher then I've flown over before) At least now when he says "Reduce manifold pressure" I'll know what he's talking about or have already done it. :)

Back