Piper Archer vs. Grumman Tiger

The Tiger is what I'm looking at for eventually owning (unless I get a two-seater first, aa1 or c150, to build time for a couple years). There are some nice looking Tigers out there right now, makes me sad that I can't afford one at the moment.

The Tiger is what I'm looking at for eventually owning (unless I get a two-seater first, aa1 or c150, to build time for a couple years). There are some nice looking Tigers out there right now, makes me sad that I can't afford one at the moment.

Try to find a partner or two and a good Tiger. You will not regret it. Its a great and simple to fly aircraft.

Try to find a partner or two and a good Tiger. You will not regret it. Its a great and simple to fly aircraft.

I second that, even if it's not a Tiger you end up with. Rather than flying around a beaten-up 150 that you can afford on your own, partnering on a nice little 172, Tiger, Archer, or whatever is a really good option for a lot of folks.

I know it's not easy to find a good partnership, but there's got to be at least one other person at your airport who wants to buy, but can't afford it on their own. Makes no sense for an airport to have multiple independently-owned 150s sitting out on the ramp in the beating sun instead of a better-equipped plane that the owners can now afford to hangar and maybe fly more often.

I second that, even if it's not a Tiger you end up with. Rather than flying around a beaten-up 150 that you can afford on your own, partnering on a nice little 172, Tiger, Archer, or whatever is a really good option for a lot of folks.

I know it's not easy to find a good partnership, but there's got to be at least one other person at your airport who wants to buy, but can't afford it on their own. Makes no sense for an airport to have multiple independently-owned 150s sitting out on the ramp in the beating sun instead of a better-equipped plane that the owners can now afford to hangar and maybe fly more often.

Makes sense, I'll definitely keep it in mind when the time comes. Unfortunately that may be a little while, apparently paying for a wedding trumps buying a plane.:dunno:

Not so good in the rain to get in or out.:(

This is true. I experienced this once while on a trip with a Traveler. You have to stop and think about how you're going to get in and get the lid shut in the fastest time possible. All the other non rainy days of the year, the Grumman sliding canopy absolutely rules!! I wish the Mooney had one.

You can definitely do that in a J model. Not so sure about an older short body. Maybe one with all the speed mods could pull that off.

Yes. A fully 201 modded E will do that pretty easily. A stock one, or one with just a few mods, no way. A,B,C,D... no way, no how.

Passengers should not close doors.

Point well made. I've actually never flown a passenger that wasn't a pilot. Anybody I flew in the Arrow with was another pilot (safety pilot) and usually a CFI.

Door reach over was always a task in any case.

How can I find a grumman savvy mechanic in south east Florida? Thank you
Sam

I have no idea about the mechanic, but this thread just made me fall in love with Grumman Tigers...
heart.gif

I wanna fly one!

I have no idea about the mechanic, but this thread just made me fall in love with Grumman Tigers...
heart.gif

I wanna fly one!
Since you're in NC, fly whatever you've got to this event:

Date: 11 October 2014

Shenandoah, VA (KSHD)

Time: 11:00
What: Lunch at airport - Fly Away Cafe

HOST

Mr. Daniel Schmitz
(978)239-9670
ne@aya.org

...or see http://www.aya.org/AYA-events.php for other Grumman fly-ins. If you don't have a ride contact Dan to see if you can snag a ride with someone else coming from your area.

I was just at Johnson County Airport in Kansas City and saw that their local flying club has a Tiger. Rents for $50 an hour dry. If you are in the KC area this would be your opportunity to own part of a Tiger without all the other expenses. Just saying…

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
Its got a pretty good avionics package too

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Nice looking plane!

How does the cabin size and roominess feel compare between a Tiger and an Archer? How about the cargo area? I sat in a Tiger and it definitely felt narrow and tight and the control wheel bumped my knees. Just wondering how it compares?

How does the cabin size and roominess feel compare between a Tiger and an Archer?
Archer is an inch or two wider at the elbow. But because of the "bug-eye" shape of the canopy and the huge windows, Tiger has more "face room" and spaciousness at eye level.
How about the cargo area?
Advantage Tiger. Archer's outside baggage door is bit bigger, but interior access to cargo is easier in the Tiger. And Tiger's rear seat easily folds down flat like a station wagon's, creating a huge, unobstructed cargo area.
the control wheel bumped my knees.
Yes, the Tiger's control wheels and instrument panel seem quite low compared to most other airplanes -- opening up fantastic visibility and a feeling of spaciousness forward as well as to the sides.

Don't just sit in the Tiger. Fly it. That's where comparison with everything else in its class ends.

Advantage Tiger. Archer's outside baggage door is bit bigger, but interior access to cargo is easier in the Tiger. And Tiger's rear seat easily folds down flat like a station wagon's, creating a huge, unobstructed cargo area.

What about the overall space for the cargo area of the Archer vs Tiger with 4 people in the plane? That seemed like one of the only drawbacks to the Tiger but I have not put my eyes on the Archer yet to compare.

What about the overall space for the cargo area of the Archer vs Tiger with 4 people in the plane? That seemed like one of the only drawbacks to the Tiger but I have not put my eyes on the Archer yet to compare.
I think the baggage areas are about the same volume, but it's easier to get objects larger than fit through the baggage door into the Tiger's baggage area through the canopy than it is to get them through the Archer's door. If necessary, you can even fold down the back seat to put the object in the back, then flip the seat back up. You can't do that in an Archer without tools.

My husband I bought a '79 Tiger as our first plane, and we've been really happy with it. Ours is IFR capable, it's responsive on the controls and like many have pointed out, the visibility is unequaled.

We've flown in the utility mode a few times (back seats folded down for cargo,) and the only thing you need to be aware of is a slight difference in the CG.

After flying a 172, the Tiger feels and handles like a Maserati... way cool and a great x-c option.

ZgXabiW.jpg

Since you're in NC, fly whatever you've got to this event:

Date: 11 October 2014

Shenandoah, VA (KSHD)

Time: 11:00
What: Lunch at airport - Fly Away Cafe

HOST
Mr. Daniel Schmitz
(978)239-9670
ne@aya.org

...or see http://www.aya.org/AYA-events.php for other Grumman fly-ins. If you don't have a ride contact Dan to see if you can snag a ride with someone else coming from your area.
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:
I have an event planned that day
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I think I've been trying to fly a Tiger for about 3 years now...

And I've been thinking about pulling that trigger too.

I'll let you know what kind of shenanigans I come up with.

Back