Pink fuel in the tank?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I'm reviewing an aircraft checkout quiz for a Warrior and there's a question on here I don't have the first clue about. What should you do if you find pink fuel in the tanks. The Warrior is ok with 110LL (blue) or 100/130 avgas (green). JetA is clear/straw colored. But when I google it I get nothing about pink fuel.

I know that if you mix gas types, the dyes will change color, but I don't remember and cannot find anything online about it. So what gives with pink? Is it the blue and green combo? 110LL and JetA?

As is, I would not fly it and find a mechanic to ask, but that isn't really the firm answer

80 Octane Avgas is Red/Pink, but it's not common. Not entirely sure of the answer on that one.

Last edited:
I'm reviewing an aircraft checkout quiz for a Warrior and there's a question on here I don't have the first clue about. What should you do if you find pink fuel in the tanks. The Warrior is ok with 110LL (blue) or 100/130 avgas (green). JetA is clear/straw colored. But when I google it I get nothing about pink fuel.

I know that if you mix gas types, the dyes will change color, but I don't remember and cannot find anything online about it. So what gives with pink? Is it the blue and green combo? 110LL and JetA?

As is, I would not fly it and find a mechanic to ask, but that isn't really the firm answer
Is it multiple choice? If I were administering the test, I'd give full credit for "Get a mechanic to drain the tanks." It seems the important thing is to know that only blue or green are OK. Maybe they picked a random color that just wasn't blue or green?

Does the POH for the Warrior say that 80 octane is acceptable or must it be 100? That might be what the question was intended to test you on. When it was written 30 years ago.

Off-road diesel is red/pink, but not sure why you'd find that in your tanks.

It is multiple guess. Options are
Refuel with the same type.
Refuel with 110LL
Don't fly until tanks are drained
Fly, but closely monitor the engine temps

80 octane gas is not acceptable for the Warrior. The answer is have the tanks drained. That's what I would do, but my question was more about "what is pink gas" - which I think John might have nailed most closely. I saw the information about 80 octane being red, but didn't match that up to light red being pink.

If it were a 1974-76 model (PA-28-151 Cherokee Warrior, 150 hp Lyc. O-320-E2D), 80/87 octane (red) would be acceptable. The 1977 and later models (PA-28-161 Warrior II, 160 hp O-320-D), no bueno.

Back in the day you could taxi up to a fuel island at larger airports and find three, sometimes even four, grades of avgas: 80/87 octane (red), 91/96 (blue, IIRC), 100/130 (green); and for the warbirds and big radials, 115/145 (purple). Most GA airports offered at least the 80 and 100 octane choices.

Low-compression engines that could use 80 octane were desirable, because the gas was cheap. Those would include most all four-cylinder engines 150 hp and under, and 6-cylinder engines 235 hp and under, such as in the C-182, Cherokee 235 and Apache 235, and Beech Debonair.

Until 1967 Piper offered otherwise-identical Cherokees with 150 and 160 hp options (The PA-28-160 was actually the first Cherokee certified and put on the market, in 1961). The 160 had slightly better performance and an extra 35 pounds or so of useful load, and cost only $500 more, but it required the more expensive 91 octane fuel. The economics of the 150 hp model using cheaper fuel made it the more popular option until the 160 was dropped in 1967. The trainer version ("Cherokee 140") with the same 150 engine continued in production through 1977. Meanwhile, the Cessna Skyhawk, Beech Sport, Grumman-American Traveler and Cherokee Warrior all soldiered on with the 150 hp O-320-E into the mid 1970s.

In the petroleum industry upheaval following the 1973 OPEC crisis, avgas refiners settled on the new "100LL" fuel that supposedly would be a suitable "one-size-fits-all" for the GA piston fleet. 80 octane became scarce or unavailable altogether. Two results were immediate: (1) The economic advantage of operating an airplane compatible with 80 octane vanished; and (2) a lot of low-compression engines suffered fouled plugs and other maladies with the new fuel.

The manufacturers responded by trotting out new versions of existing models, with higher-compression engines purportedly more compatible with 100LL. These included the Cessna 172N (subtlely dubbed "Skyhawk/100" in some ads; 1977, Lyc. O-320-H2AD) and 172P (1981, O-320-D); Cessna 182Q (1977); and Piper Cherokee Warrior II (1977, Lyc. O-320-D). The 160 hp O-320-D, dumped by Piper in 1967, was making a comeback.

Also, the Cessna 152 (Lyc. O-235) replaced the Cessna 150 (Cont. O-200-A) for 1978; and the Piper Dakota replaced the Cherokee 235/Pathfinder in late 1978. These higher-compression engines, along with the C-182Q's new O-470-U, produced their rated horsepower at lower rpms, with noise reduction as a side benefit.

ok...I'm not a walking color palette, but if there was 100LL in the tank and you added some 80/87 would it appear pink?

Is 80 octane even made anymore?
Not that I'm aware of, but it can be made expensively on special order if you need it. I do know of a case where that was done by an engine modifier that didn't want to restrict the airplanes to 100LL.

Aviation fuel dyes are designed to yield a clear fluid when mixed. If they didn't, blue and red are purple, not pink. Purple was the highest octane fuel, so you can see why they designed to dyes to cancel out.

The answer is you have contaminated fuel and the system will need to be purged of all fuel.

My first plane was a 1964 Cherokee 140. I purchased that plane in 92 or 93, and I ran red fuel (80 octane Avgas) anytime I found it. I had to run some green fuel (100/130 Avgas) in the Bahamas once, because that was all they had. Most of the time I ran 100LL. IIRC, my plugs didn't foul as bad with the red fuel, but I eventually went with the REM37BY extended core plugs and they never fouled again.

I'm pretty sure 80 octane Avgas is no longer made.

80 Octane has very little lead. 100LL isn't really low except when compared to 100/130.
Yeah, you'll foul less on 80 or even autogas if you can legally run it.

Other than the guess about MMO, my guess would be some auto gas. Alas, Cherokees with the 160 engine require more than just a paperwork STC to run autofuel.

PA-28-161...80 octane not approved.

Off-road (Untaxed) gasoline is dyed red. Also Stabil will turn fuel red. I'm still going with autogas of some form.

I used to sell off road racing fuel. It was red, purple, blue, yellow and clear. Or any color I wanted it to be.

I screwed up adding dye to the red and it came out blood red. I had to mix it with un dyed fuel to get the color right.

Red was 100 octane, purple was 105 octane, blue was 110 octane, yellow was 130 and clear was a true 93 octane unleaded.

Nitro really added power to methanol...

And yes, I knew how to cheat and beat the specific gravity test...

Yeah, don't get me started about racing fuels. We used to test for all sorts of fun stuff when I was a NASCAR official.

Assuming this is a checkout for a rental, I'd say the correct answer is "contact owner, manager, or chief flight instructor for further direction."

Pink may indicate biological contamination.

Yeah, don't get me started about racing fuels. We used to test for all sorts of fun stuff when I was a NASCAR official.

You would have hated me.... We got away with using methanol in the gas only NASCAR regionals.

We had something different for the (popular company of the day) cup cars.....:lol::lol::lol:

My first plane was a 1964 Cherokee 140. I purchased that plane in 92 or 93, and I ran red fuel (80 octane Avgas) anytime I found it. I had to run some green fuel (100/130 Avgas) in the Bahamas once, because that was all they had. Most of the time I ran 100LL. IIRC, my plugs didn't foul as bad with the red fuel, but I eventually went with the REM37BY extended core plugs and they never fouled again.

I'm pretty sure 80 octane Avgas is no longer made.

80 octane was phased out decades ago.

I would treat this fuel as being contaminated. Ouch, that's going to hurt the bank balance.

Actually, we were able to continue to procure 80 for a good long time, it just ended up costing more than 100LL. Finally, the distance between where we could get the rail car delivered and transferred to a truck kept getting further away and it became prohibitive. You can't put either leaded fuel in the petroleum pipeline (you can put JET A in, a few years back they tapped into one of the major east coast petroleum pipelines that ran a few miles east of Dulles. They now get their JET A piped in rather than having truckload after truckload arrive at the RTE 28 fuel farm).

However, it's not bee universally available for a long time. So even if it's 80, it's old enough to be suspect.

Back