Pimp my panel?

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
So, I found out recently from my local avionics shop website that Garmin is offering a $2,000 trade-in rebate towards a 430W/530W for old Apollo GX-series GPSs because they are no longer repairable. :frown3: I like my little GX-60; it's been a pretty good unit, but the rebate has me thinking. $2k will pay for a GI-106A which I would need, too. And just putting in a 430W plus GI-106A would probably be the minimum $$ and hassle -- most of the work would be right there in the panel in existing holes.

Then Kent mentioned this about the 530...
I've got a lot of time behind a 430 and I didn't think the 530 was much more than a bigger screen and auto-ID of VOR's (it listens to the morse for you, and after decoding it, displays the identifier on screen by the frequency). But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's got quite a bit more, including a MUCH nicer default nav page.

...so I figured, what the heck, I'll throw open my panel to the peanut gallery, knowing full well these types of requests ultimately end up at a $50k avionics install! :yikes:

What other equipment do you guys have that you really like? I've always been intrigued by the Sandel e-HSI, and have noticed them coming out of planes at reasonable prices as Aspens go in. But that (and an Aspen) both mean more wiring and installing extra boxes under the floor, or in the tail or wing and even more $$$. Remember, I've got a '74 Commander 112A.

Scott, what were you thinking of doing in your panel with a 430?

And Kent, what were those extra 530 features you thought were worth the price?

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
So, I found out recently from my local avionics shop website that Garmin is offering a $2,000 trade-in rebate towards a 430W/530W for old Apollo GX-series GPSs because they are no longer repairable. :frown3:

Hmmmmmm.... Now you've got me thinking too. We've got a GX55 in one of the Archers...

What other equipment do you guys have that you really like? I've always been intrigued by the Sandel e-HSI, and have noticed them coming out of planes at reasonable prices as Aspens go in. But that (and an Aspen) both mean more wiring and installing extra boxes under the floor, or in the tail or wing and even more $$$. Remember, I've got a '74 Commander 112A.

The Aspen only has two boxes besides the main unit that slides into the panel, IIRC: The Remote Sensor Module, which mounts on top of the plane, and the Analog Converter Unit (only required for the Pro and ATP versions) that handles communication between the Aspen stuff and your existing equipment.

http://www.aspenavionics.com/pdfs/AC0608_AspenEvolution_reprint0708.pdf

And Kent, what were those extra 530 features you thought were worth the price?

Well, I didn't get nearly enough time to play with it, but here's a few things you can read:

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182453-1.html
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GNS530W_PilotsGuideandReference.pdf

Here's the default nav pages I was talking about:
430:
attachment.php

530:
attachment.php

530 again:
attachment.php

Notice how the ID of the VOR shows up just under the frequencies? Plus the radial and distance. And you have the big pretty map AND all the data.

Someone who has both a 430 and a 530 can probably give you a better idea of what all the differences are between them.

Attachments

• Picture 20.png
    Picture 20.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 21.png
    Picture 21.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Picture 22.png
    Picture 22.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 205
Rich, it all comes down to $$$. What are you trying to acomplish? What do you wish you had? Planning on keeping the Airplane?

I was fortunate to find my Arrow w/ a Garmin suite coupled to a STEC 55X. It works very well and really reduces SPIFR workload. I did the upgrade to WAAS at the $1500 price. Glad I did! I also was made an offer on a used Sandel 3308 that I could not refuse. Glad I did that also! The Aspen stuff was not available but I might have gone the Apen route if I was doing it today.

I have to side w/ Kent on the 530W. The larger screen is great for my aging eyes!

FWIW,

Andy

530, SL-30 & 2 G-600s and that nifty digital engine cluster thingie.

The Auracle? Or are you talking about the JPI and/or (whatever that other more-mainstream brand is that I can't think of right now)

Scott, what were you thinking of doing in your panel with a 430?
I have a really nice panel already, all King, all very new. The GPS is an older model the KLN90B. As a GPS it does everything I like but it would be nice to have more situation awareness and the ability to update it without dragging the laptop to the plane.

I have been toying with the idea to get a 430W. My panel already has all the hardware including the nice Garmin CDI so all I should need is the 430 itself and then the labor to get it installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 41
Someone who has both a 430 and a 530 can probably give you a better idea of what all the differences are between them.

Actually you summed it up pretty well. There aren't too many other differences. The larger map and nav page options are really nice features exclusive to the 530. My grandfather has a 530W in his Bonanza and I fly an Archer with dual 430's. To be honest, I prefer the 530W for the auto-identification of navaids (definitely reducing workload) and the larger map.

I fly the dual 430's with the top unit on the map, the bottom unit on FPL. With the 530W, I usually leave the map on and toggle FPL whenever I need to see it.

A 530W or 430W, HSI (EHSI or traditional), and a JPI will get that panel rockin' again.

The Auracle? Or are you talking about the JPI and/or (whatever that other more-mainstream brand is that I can't think of right now)
So long as it's approved to replace the required instruments, I haven't been sold on any one over another yet. Has to be qualified as primary for all engine gauges. Fuel computer tied to GPS for MPG and range to empty are definite requirements as well.

So long as it's approved to replace the required instruments, I haven't been sold on any one over another yet. Has to be qualified as primary for all engine gauges. Fuel computer tied to GPS for MPG and range to empty are definite requirements as well.

FWIW, I like the Auracle because it's got a design that should theoretically make the install quite a bit easier than the others - Sensors aren't wired all the way from the engine. They're wired from the engine to a box on the firewall, and then that box is connected via Ethernet to the box in the panel.

To be honest, I prefer the 530W for the auto-identification of navaids (definitely reducing workload) and the larger map.
I can see the larger map being nice, but I can ID a navaid as fast as the 530 can. I don't need no steenkin chart to do it, either. I've been copying Morse code in my head for 38 years now.

For those who aren't long-time hams, it might be useful, though.

Hmmmmmm.... Now you've got me thinking too. We've got a GX55 in one of the Archers...

Well Kent, you can only get $1000 rebate for a GX55.

Rich, it all comes down to $$$. What are you trying to acomplish? What do you wish you had? Planning on keeping the Airplane?
True enough about the $ Andy. I am not sure about anything; I like my little GX60, but only considered a change now that Garmin offers the rebate for it. That's about it. One can certainly equip a plane with so many screens, they'll easily outstrip the ability of the aluminum around them. That would be true in my case. I don't fly any heavy IFR; never have to be somewhere where I couldn't wait a day or two for the weather to ease up. The realist in me says a GNS430W and CDI is a capable investment in my plane for how I fly, and in its overall value. For once, I could cross-check two VOR receivers anywhere! Since I need to spend $ on a new CDI anyway, I'd only consider a Sandel at a reasonable price, since that would be a minimal adder over a CDI. Anything above that is want, not need. Aspen is way overkill, and I don't know about their reliability yet.

Thanks Henning. I knew I could count on you to bust the bank! And hey, Garmin is offering a $5,000 rebate on a new G-600 now! I do agree with you on those all-in-one, primary replacement engine gauge systems. Me likey.

Well Kent, you can only get $1000 rebate for a GX55.

Yeah, well, it's something. We've been talking about our plans for the future for a while, and one thing we've kind of settled on is Garmin stuff in all the planes so it's easier to move back and forth. If we do it, though, it'll be toward the end of the year.

Since I need to spend $ on a new CDI anyway, I'd only consider a Sandel at a reasonable price, since that would be a minimal adder over a CDI. Anything above that is want, not need. Aspen is way overkill, and I don't know about their reliability yet.
The last time I looked, Sandels were more expensive than Aspens. Are you seeing something different?

The last time I looked, Sandels were more expensive than Aspens. Are you seeing something different?
Jay, I was referring to Sandels and gyro systems coming out of planes (as Aspens go in) and sold used. There's no way I'd buy a new one.

I'd look at 430W and the Aspen. Combine the rebate and money saved from the 530, and put it towards the Aspen. You now have a really nice WAAS unit with great capability, an HSI, and keeping your current AI you now have attitude redundancy. Two simple units that bring a bunch of stuff to the table.

Back