Pilots of Canada?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
I know this is the Pilots of America board. However, this American is very likely to be spending an extended time in Canada, possibly for the rest of the year or longer. While I can probably manage some flying when I'm here at home from time to time, I'd like to take advantage of being in such a beautiful part of the world to expand my flying skill a little.

So - assuming I wanted to do any of the following, what is needed for an American private pilot to fly in Canada?

1) Just fly around with an instructor to stay current every once in a while
2) take IFR training and is there any reason that training wouldn't meet the requirements of 61.65.
3) Fly solo or with passengers in VFR conditions.

One thing you might want to look at is the reciprocal agreement between the US and Canada for licenses.

You can get your TC (Transport Canada) license by writing just the written exam in Canada (no check-ride). That's a full license, not a ICAO "issued on the basis of..." that you get temporarily.

If you can find an "N" plane, you can fly it in Canada on the basis of your FAA license. If you want to fly a "C" plane, you will need a temporary "issued on the basis of" or using the special agreement, full TC license.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-usconversion-480.htm

Oh...one thing.

If you convert your FAA license to a TC license, then take your Instrument in Canada, you can then convert your IR back to an FAA instrument rating by the same process.

If you own an N-registered aircraft, just bring it with you and fly it. If you need to rent, then get your certificate transferred and rent accordingly.

I've done a few hundred hours of flying in Canada - probably 300-500 hours worth. It's some of my favorite flying - tons of fun, and there are some beautiful places to explore. Just remember that 100LL is expensive and many airports don't have fuel once you get out of the populated areas.

Yes, that's a good page. If I'm reading it correctly, then the answers to my questions are:

1) Nothing, just like in the US. You're flying under the instructor's ticket.
2) If there's an instructor in the airplane, then training qualifies as X hours flown in simulated or actual IFR conditions. I don't think it there are instructor "present" requirement for IFR like there are for PP...I'll have to re-read that. To fly PIC gets into #3.
3) This is where it gets a little tricky
a) have to get a Canadian medical
b) Have to take a knowledge and radio test on Canadian rules. There is no practical test.
- then have to get the conversion
c) cannot fly at night without an additional endorsement - requires 10 hours night / 5 hours solo to get.

It sounds like a little bit of work.

Yes, that's a good page. If I'm reading it correctly, then the answers to my questions are:

1) Nothing, just like in the US. You're flying under the instructor's ticket.
2) If there's an instructor in the airplane, then training qualifies as X hours flown in simulated or actual IFR conditions. I don't think it there are instructor "present" requirement for IFR like there are for PP...I'll have to re-read that. To fly PIC gets into #3.
3) This is where it gets a little tricky
a) have to get a Canadian medical
b) Have to take a knowledge and radio test on Canadian rules. There is no practical test.
- then have to get the conversion
c) cannot fly at night without an additional endorsement - requires 10 hours night / 5 hours solo to get.

It sounds like a little bit of work.

If you have the 10h night when you convert, that endorsement will be automatic.

If you don't want to fully convert your certificate, you can do a "foreign license validation" and get a TC license "Issued on the basis of", and I think they'll accept your US 3rd class and all that.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...vices-referencecentre-acs-400-400-003-122.htm

Back