Pilots n Paws mission KTUS - KABQ 3/25/2016

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Up front, all I can say is thank God Piper decided to add the storm window to my Cherokee. Although it was just gas it was...wow, what did they feed that dog?

We were tossed around like a twig on a river for most of the flight and bounced our nuggets on the ceiling a couple of times. The dog was not in a crate and one of the times we hit some bumps the dog went from lying down sleeping to on it's feet and looking out the window in about 1/5 of a second.

I don't know how many of you participate in Pilots n Paws but it is a rewarding experience, even with all the bumps and smells.

If the dog isn't in a crate, I put a harness on the dog, attached to the seat belt in the back seat. Really helps in the bumps. Even with a crate, the crate is strapped down either in the baggage area or in the back seat to keep it from moving around too much. I've got a bunch of 6 foot webbing straps that I use for everything.

It was a Shar Pei and I had it's leash tied to the rear seatbelt anchor so it wouldn't end up in front with me. A crate turned out to be more trouble getting in and out of the plane than it was worth. Besides, the dog slept most of the time anyway.

We foster dogs and is always amazing to me how bad their farts and poo stinks the first few days. :confused:

I did a flight a couple of weeks ago with 2 in crates and 2 tethered. The one tethered in the far back slipped her collar early on and decided to come up front to join us. Thankfully she was calm and neither she nor the other dog paid any attention to each other. It ended up being a smelly flight as well, with houdini gassing us a bit, as well as releasing a couple small presents, and one of the dogs in the crates making a mess of things as well. So much for my perfect record for mess free flights! No big deal though, knowing they were all going to better homes made the cleanup worth it.

1622880_10208934723155486_4930394379431401494_n.jpg

10561811_10208934722155461_4178529269737437508_n.jpg

It's a lot harder to give them back when they are puppies.

It's a lot harder to give them back when they are puppies.

My experience is the opposite. We fostered 3 momma's and 28 puppies in the last year and I got really attached to all three mommas and couldn't wait to get rid of the non stop little poop machines. hah
Even adopted one of the mommas ourselves.

Have these two little cuties at home right now:

IMG_4314.jpg

I do remember the joys of owning a puppy, and the messes. When you only have em for a couple hours the cuteness is pretty irresistible though. Makes it easy to forget about the other stuff.

I do remember the joys of owning a puppy, and the messes. When you only have em for a couple hours the cuteness is pretty irresistible though. Makes it easy to forget about the other stuff.
OK, that is an excellent point. They're absolutely awesome for a few hours. haha
It's that morning mess after a night of them wrestling around in poo that erases those cuteness memories real fast. lol

The most I ever had in one flight was I think 7. Had room for way more, but that's the most they ever brought out

PNP is awesome to do. I have only ever had one accident in my plane thus far. It was an interesting one for sure. I have had 22 puppies in the plane one time and that was a fart session from hell...

Back