Pilot wings and other stuff

Wow. This thread is over 13 years old.

I don’t know that I’ve ever been a member of anything for 13 years...

Apologies for reviving a 3+ year old post, but as the question of military patches came up I'm curious about a certain case.

I'm a female pilot (ASEL, glider, ground instructor) and recently attended a very interesting talk on the Women's Airforce Service Pilots (of WWII). I've been aware of them for some time but it was only during this talk that I fell in love with the "Fifinella" insignia, which was drawn by Walt Disney. I was thinking of sewing the patch onto one of my jackets, which I thought would be a neat awareness-raising tribute to the WASPs. My feeling after reading previous posts is that in the world of military insignia this is a special case, but if even a single person would feel this to be inappropriate I wouldn't do it. Ideas?

Also, on the question of the original posting regarding pilots' wings: I was lucky enough to complete my primary training for free as part of a high school program, and at the end of senior year a very cool wings pin was given to those who earned it. It's unlike others I've seen for private pilots, with a black heart in the center, and I keep it in a special place. It would be neat to wear on a special occasion at an aviation-related event or something, but I've never done so.

~Justine
I'm kinda good with it, as a patch on your jacket kind of thing - given the age of the legit wearers, it'd be clear to those who recognize it that you aren't posing - unless you are that old! I'd look at it as you describe, as a tribute/awareness thing.

I have legit USAF aircrew wings, and on very rare occasion wear the minature as a tie tack - usually a social event that involves my son, who is a USMC pilot. I was a CAP mission pilot, but wouldn't wear those wings anywhere.

I didn’t read the whole thread (that’s my story), but when I was five and on a commercial flight, a stewardess (they were called that, then) gave me a wings pin.

For those interested in fun wings to give as gifts or have for their own, I was recently given a set of glider wings from a friend that comes from this website: http://taildraggerpilotwings.com/home.html
The wings are really nice, about 3 inches across and solid metal.
Might be an idea for the holidays....

Back