Pilot wings and other stuff

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey guys, looking for some answers here...

How many of y'all have pilot wings of some sort (I mean physical wings, like a pin or something). Is this one of those things that you don't buy yourself, and instead earn somehow? Or one of those things that out of pride, you buy and display?

Second, and this is even sillier than the first question....is there a second meaning to the "Mile High Club" that doesn't refer to sex? I see in Sporty's catalog that there is stuff about being in the "exclusive mile high club." I was thinking maybe landing at an airport that is more than 1 mile high in elevation, but I wasn't sure (I do that everytime I fly).

Thanks guys! (and gals)

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:

How many of y'all have pilot wings of some sort (I mean physical wings, like a pin or something). Is this one of those things that you don't buy yourself, and instead earn somehow? Or one of those things that out of pride, you buy and display?

I have wings that I got from the FSDO for participating in the FAA pilot proficiency program. I don't wear them though. On the rare occasion that I wear my CAP uniform I wear the CAP wings.

Second, and this is even sillier than the first question....is there a second meaning to the "Mile High Club" that doesn't refer to sex? I see in Sporty's catalog that there is stuff about being in the "exclusive mile high club." I was thinking maybe landing at an airport that is more than 1 mile high in elevation, but I wasn't sure (I do that everytime I fly).

Thanks guys! (and gals)

I never heard of any meaning other than the one with which you are already familiar.

NickDBrennan said:
How many of y'all have pilot wings of some sort

Nick,

I have the wings pin that AOPA sends out. Initially the wings are gold in color. They used to send out the pin annually to each member but they stopped that several years ago. When I was a member for 20 years they sent me a nice silver colored pin that has 20 years written on it under the wings. I wear those on the lapel of my sport coat or suit jacket (when I wear a sport coat or suit jacket that is).

Len

I decided to start collecting wings on my trip to Oz and NZ in January this year - I now have a set of Royal Flying Doctor Wings and the Royal New Zealand Air Force.

Gotta keep looking for new additions.

bstratt said:
I decided to start collecting wings on my trip to Oz and NZ in January this year - I now have a set of Royal Flying Doctor Wings and the Royal New Zealand Air Force.

Barry,

Your post reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years...

When I was in the Air Force and received my first promotion I had to go to the base store to buy stripes. When I get into the store I was very surprised to see pilot wings displayed for just anyone to buy. Surely they must 'card" people or make them show proof that they are worthy to buy a pair of holy pilot wings. I ask, incredulously, of the civilian store clerk behind the counter if anyone could just walk in and buy a set of wings. Her reply was "Sure" in a very 'why not" tone of voice and a sideways look that said 'what planet are you from?". So I bought a pair of Air Force Command Pilot wings and sent them to my 10 year old brother (who, at that time, I thought would be the pilot when he grew up and not me).

I wonder if my brother John still has those wings? Oh, pity, he never became a pilot and probably never will. He became an accountant and got married young, which was like death for him. :<(

Len

Nick:

I also participate in the FSDO Wings program and they send a set each year. I should wear them to club meetings and aviation events, and now that you mention it, I'll try harder. (Maybe I should put a set on my duck!!)

Have Army wings from active duty I don't wear but may put on the wall someday in my "ego" room.

Have a couple 'o hats with wings I try to wear when linking up with other fliers.

Don't know 'bout other meaning of the the mile high stuff.

Dave

I wore my Babes "Rose with Wings" pin daily for years. I took them off when I lost my medical. Hmmmm.... I should start wearing them again. They're symbolic for "Live each day to the fullest and with integrity."

He became an accountant and got married young, which was like death for him. :<(

Len[/QUOTE]

What was like death for him becomming an accountant or getting married young?:rolleyes:

AdamZ said:
What was like death for him becomming an accountant or getting married young?:rolleyes:

Adam,

I'm sure there are lots of accountants that are lots of fun. I know, I'm married to one.

I'm sure there are lots of people that married young and still enjoyed their youth. I've seen examples of that as well..

In my brother's case, the answer would be both.

Len

P.S. I just realized that the limited protection we had under the member access requirement for the AOPA website is gone here isn't it. A Google search might reveal the content of a post. Hmm. I gotta think more before I type.

Len Lanetti said:
P.S. I just realized that the limited protection we had under the member access requirement for the AOPA website is gone here isn't it. A Google search might reveal the content of a post. Hmm. I gotta think more before I type.
A Google search would reveal a post at AOPA as well. Guest access was allowed, which is all that a search engine needs.

Len Lanetti said:
Lessons Learned and Medical Matters both allow anonymous postings. You can either log out and post as an unregistered user, or check the Post Anonymously checkbox when posting in those forums to conceal your identity.

Under the former option, you can not go back later and change your post at all, because the board doesn't know who posted it.

Under the latter option, you can go back and edit your post because the forum software knows who you are, but outsiders do not.

Len Lanetti said:
Adam,

I'm sure there are lots of accountants that are lots of fun. I know, I'm married to one.

I'm sure there are lots of people that married young and still enjoyed their youth. I've seen examples of that as well..

In my brother's case, the answer would be both.

Len

You did not have any protection from a Google search on the AOPA webboard, nor was there any member access requirements. A person could google for specific member names on the webboard and get results, which you did not need to be a member to read. Even better, if you just googled "AOPA webboard" the first link was to the log in page, where you could create a member name and log in whether you were a member or not. Something that needed fixed, IMHO.

I've got my Naval Aircrew wings, AOPA wings, Angel Flight Wings and FAA Wings Program Wings Phase I and II (is "Wings Wings" redundant or bi-wing?) ...
Edit - just received my Colorado Pilots Association Wings in the mail. :)

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Barry,

Oh, pity, he never became a pilot and probably never will. He became an accountant and got married young, which was like death for him. :<(

Len

I've seen so many of these guys. I think they've been brainwashed into thinking that marriage means the end of life as they know it and following orders to the extreme from their wife. They buy a minivan, and become what Len is describing. Poor b*stards. Then when they talk to you about flying and their wife overhears the conversation you get chewed out too. Sigh.

Anthony said:
I've seen so many of these guys. I think they've been brainwashed into thinking that marriage means the end of life as they know it and following orders to the extreme from their wife. They buy a minivan, and become what Len is describing. Poor b*stards. Then when they talk to you about flying and their wife overhears the conversation you get chewed out too. Sigh.
Apparently you've met my first wife.

Wife #2 ain't even close to that. ;)

NickDBrennan said:

Thanks guys! (and gals)

I wear some small FAA Wings wings on my flight jacket along with SPA pin and had a ring cast in gold out of wings too. Also have a huge string theory painting on blue background with some clouds below it that has maybe three dozen sets of wings collected over the years pinned into it in stategic places... I knew it could be usful for something !

And yes there is another meaning to the MHC...

My favorite (and only) set of wings, was given to my wife and I from a former RAF pilot who received them as recognition of service during the Battle of Britan. Sterling silver with the crown & RAF symbol in red and gold enamel. Very striking, so much so I only wear it on special occasions since I might lose it or damage it.

Gary

Nick;

I got my "First Wings" from a flight engineer when I was on a TWA Super G Connie when I was 11. I got to go "up front" and what could a kid crazy about planes feel being in the cockpit of a Connie. I was very wide eyed. The second question I flew a underpowered 172 out of Jeffco Airport, CO. in the early 60's on a warm summer day. The take off was very long and the landing was long as well.

John

NickDBrennan said:

Thanks guys! (and gals)

One useful thing I've noticed when I wear wings on a flight:

More than ever, I'm then thinking to myself, "Yeah, it's fun to more or less brag and flaunt my status as a pilot by wearing these wings but, if I screw up bad I'll look like even more of an idiot !"

I have wings for my uniform. They were given to me by the company when you come on board. It's a CFR 121/135/91 company, so everyone wears a uniform unless it's a CFR91 trip.

If you would like to have some, there is a website you can buy them from. www.tallyhouniforms.com

Brent

Moxie wrote:

Moxie said:
I wore my Babes "Rose with Wings" pin daily for years. I took them off when I lost my medical. Hmmmm.... I should start wearing them again. They're symbolic for "Live each day to the fullest and with integrity."

Moxie - Wear them. It's a nice design, and you're still a pilot regardless of the medical situation.
- Richard

Hi folks. New here, quite active on some other forums.

I've got a military style leather name tag with gold embossed wings (plus my name and nick name...) that I didn't feel right wearing. Until that is, I finally got my ticket (about 3 weeks back.... Yeeee Hawww!!). I now proudly wear them on my CWU 45P and CWU 36P flight jackets. I'll probably tire of it after awhile, and look back thinking it was idiotic.....:D

Moxie, sorry to hear about your medical.... Sounds like a rough bit for you. Didn't catch any details, I'll just say here I hope for the best for you!

Yes, I agree you should be a pilot in order to obtain wings, however, they are readily available in the marketplace. In addition, most folks who purchase wings are indeed pilots.

Would be kinda silly for someone to be wearing wings and then a "fellow" pilot approaches them only for the wing bearer not to speak the language!

Nevertheless, you can purchase genuine private pilot wings from www.cfipilot.com I heard they will be expanding their line to include Instructor, Commercial, ATP, etc. wings.

:smilewinkgrin:

Wow! Old thread! To answer the question, though, I have a set of wings from AOPA and the flying club I'm in also gave me a set when I passed my private check ride. I'm sure somewhere I had the wings that they used to give kids on commercial flights (back when I was little and they also had things like metal silverware).

Boeing737NG, welcome!

I really like wings. I've got a set of AF wings a previous boss gave me for X-Mas, as well as small wings from the Wings program and from AOPA (5 year). Unfortunately, they all use the compression holders on the pins, which tend to come off. I think I saw that the CFI ones that Boeing737NG was talking about use screw-on posts.

I have my USCG Aux Wings, and my USAF non-rated crew wings.

Thanks guys! (and gals)
Nope, it means sex in an airplane.

I have the CG wings (Aircrew and Rescue Swimmer) that I wear on my vest when I volunteer at the Air and Space Museum.

Sometimes I'll put the pilot proficiency wings on a collar tab of my jacket, or on a lapel of my suit, along with my AOPA 10 year wings. The FAASTeam wings make a nifty tie tac.

One of the things that causes a lot of jaws to tighten is when someone obtains and wears military wings they did not earn. They're readily available, but those of us who've earned them don't care much for their wear by those who didn't. If you really want wings to wear, I say fine, go buy some of those "private pilot wings" from Sporty's or whomever and wear them or wings from AOPA or other pilot groups of which you are a member -- but don't wear wings that signify deeds you haven't accomplished.

I have wings that I got from the FSDO for participating in the FAA pilot proficiency program. I don't wear them though. On the rare occasion that I wear my CAP uniform I wear the CAP wings.

I never heard of any meaning other than the one with which you are already familiar.

So your story is that you presently own only two sets?:D

I have my US Airways Express wings and my Colgan Air wings - both, obviously, from work. I only ever wear them on my uniform coat. The Airways wings use the screw on type of fastener, which I still managed to lose. I found that one of those little black metal pinch-type paper clips works great, just pull the silver metal tabs off once it's clipped onto the post...no one will know the difference!

EDIT: Holy necro-post, Batman!

One of the things that causes a lot of jaws to tighten is when someone obtains and wears military wings they did not earn. They're readily available, but those of us who've earned them don't care much for their wear by those who didn't. If you really want wings to wear, I say fine, go buy some of those "private pilot wings" from Sporty's or whomever and wear them or wings from AOPA or other pilot groups of which you are a member -- but don't wear wings that signify deeds you haven't accomplished.

I'm not a veteran, but I agree with you completely. There are plenty of variations of wings and name badges out there that look nice but would certainly not be mistaken for authentic military. How do you feel about civilians wearing military flight jackets assuming they have civilian rather than actual squadron markings?

Hmmm...

Sorry, I never meant to offend. I presumed that, since I got them from a serving member, that they were considered "kosher" to wear. I've had a number of people make positive comments about them, and I would never purport to have served. :no: I figured that, since I'd earned my pilot certificate, that conferred permission to wear the wings.

I'm not a veteran, but I agree with you completely. There are plenty of variations of wings and name badges out there that look nice but would certainly not be mistaken for authentic military. How do you feel about civilians wearing military flight jackets assuming they have civilian rather than actual squadron markings?
Don't bother me none. They're good jackets with good survival characteristics -- shows good sense to wear them when flying, but not with patches they haven't earned.

One exception -- I don't mind folks wearing their dad's (or these days, I guess maybe their mom's) flight jacket in memorium.

I really like wings. I've got a set of AF wings a previous boss gave me for X-Mas, as well as small wings from the Wings program and from AOPA (5 year). Unfortunately, they all use the compression holders on the pins, which tend to come off. I think I saw that the CFI ones that Boeing737NG was talking about use screw-on posts.

Glad you mentioned the AOPA 5 year, I got a 10 year but no 5, so I'll ask for one next time I talk with them. Among other things, they're good tie tacks for starting conversations about flying.

Glad you mentioned the AOPA 5 year, I got a 10 year but no 5, so I'll ask for one next time I talk with them. Among other things, they're good tie tacks for starting conversations about flying.
For that use, I'd need to start wearing ties! :nono:

Necroposting for sure... I have a set of Royal Flying Doctors Service wings from flying my ex's dad around in Aus for a set of Bush Rounds (hes a GP/MD). There is only only reference for "Mile High".

Right after I passed my private pilot checkride, an old friend of mine who offered me the moral support I needed to finish when I thought about quitting, gave me a set of wings to mark the event. I do think that a set of wings for a civilian private pilot should be a received gift from someone else because buying a set of them for yourself just seems like a goofy and cheesy thing to do. I do not wear these wings in public, but instead keep them stored with my other sentimental items.

I also have my 10 year wings pin from the AOPA. It's real tiny, and I have affixed them to the AOPA ball cap they sent me from Osh2008, and sometimes I wear that cap in public, since the wings on it are tasteful and unobtrusive.

Last edited:
Back