Pilot Watches

Lots of Citizen variants here. I have a hand-me-down Navihawk circa 1994. It needed a battery when i got it, and it worked great for a month or two i guess. Then the LCD screen would go all wacky, and lose any indication of the right time, but the analog hands would remain correct. Other functions displayed on the LCD would act up too, like the stopwatch and the date. I stopped wearing it because I couldn't trust it.

I reset it, and put it in a drawer a few days ago, and its still fine. It might be something that gets shaken loose while wearing it. I should mention that I replaced the battery myself.

JN0004-51E_MED.jpg

Lots of Citizen variants here. I have a hand-me-down Navihawk circa 1994. It needed a battery when i got it, and it worked great for a month or two i guess. Then the LCD screen would go all wacky, and lose any indication of the right time, but the analog hands would remain correct. Other functions displayed on the LCD would act up too, like the stopwatch and the date. I stopped wearing it because I couldn't trust it.

I reset it, and put it in a drawer a few days ago, and its still fine. It might be something that gets shaken loose while wearing it. I should mention that I replaced the battery myself.

JN0004-51E_MED.jpg

You probably know this already, but when replacing a watch battery, make SURE that you don't touch it or the contacts with your fingers. Use insulated tweezers if need be.

Nice watch!

Is there a second time zone for Zulu? That is the main thing I am looking for in a watch for flying.

I have just bought this Torgoen T5 watch, very good quality and with a dial that is not too busy with stuff you will never use, but does have Zulu time facility, available for around $250.00 from many watch outlets including Amazon.

TorgdenT5PilotWatch_zpsddea9794.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Torgoen (company owned by pilots) watches too. I have two that I really like. The T30 has a zulu hand and an alarm. Every so often the T2's E6B is handy as well.

tonyfdesign045.jpg

tonyfdesign046.jpg

Over your budget, but my wife just got me this for Christmas this year.

It is a Citizen Skyhawk and it very nice. I haven't worn a watch in years for the same reasons everyone else states. This is big, but looks nice (I think). Might swap out the metal band for something a little less heavy but certainly checks the "dorky pilot watch" box in a good way ;)

Jeff

Nothing dorky about a nice watch. Dorky is wearing an ugly watch to specifically avoid wearing a nice watch. Your wife has good taste!

I like the Torgeons as well but they are still a bit pricey. How well do they last?

I just remember the $200 Seiko that lasted two years. Still have that in mind anytime I see a watch that is north of $100. Would love to hear from some folks that have had one for 5 plus years with good results.

I just remember the $200 Seiko that lasted two years. Still have that in mind anytime I see a watch that is north of $100. Would love to hear from some folks that have had one for 5 plus years with good results.

Well, it's not an aviation watch, but this is my daily watch:

http://www.keepthetime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_2&products_id=210

The used one on that page is probably 20 years old. Mine is 15, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. The band is ceramic, so it never loses its shine.

Amazing watch.

I have had my Citizen Promaster Nighthawk for 5 years and it has never missed a beat. Citizen and Seiko are very closely matched watches.

My wife gave me my Citizen Eco-drive Skyhawk (Blue Angel version) for Christmas 4 years ago. It's still working great.

I have had my Citizen Promaster Nighthawk for 5 years and it has never missed a beat. Citizen and Seiko are very closely matched watches.

Given his initial comment about a Seiko that lasted two years... :D

You probably know this already, but when replacing a watch battery, make SURE that you don't touch it or the contacts with your fingers. Use insulated tweezers if need be.

Nice watch!
I did not know that. I guess I could remove the battery, and wipe the area with alcohol and insert a clean battery.

This is the latest addition to my collection of watches:

53645d1257687521-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-35302d1246897963t-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-casio1.jpg

It is a Casio Edifice 527-L. The picture is not mine, I took it from this post in a German watch forum.

The watch is also availabe in the US, Amazon.com is currently listing it for $102.90.

The built in E6B is however more a toy than an actual tool. Even though the bezel moves very smoothly, the numbers are so small that even sombody with really good eyes has difficulties reading them. Specifically, when it gets darker.

Besides of this, it is a very nice watch, that even looks way more expensive than it actually is... :wink2: :lol:

Okay, this little beauty arrived today. But I cannot for the life of me figure out this watch band?!! Off-wrist it's a cinch...just flip the little metal tab inward and it's easy to slide the band in place. But how do you manage it when it's on your wrist?? I must be missing something obvious! :(

Great looking watch....but if I ever get it on, will I be able to get it back off?! :dunno:

Okay, this little beauty arrived today. But I cannot for the life of me figure out this watch band?!! Off-wrist it's a cinch...just flip the little metal tab inward and it's easy to slide the band in place. But how do you manage it when it's on your wrist?? I must be missing something obvious! :(

Great looking watch....but if I ever get it on, will I be able to get it back off?! :dunno:

Well, duh. Figured it out. :idea: First leather wristband that I've seen that actually works like a metal band with the quick-release clasp. Good looking watch!

Boy, do I feel like a pilot now! :happydance:

I wear this Seiko Aerospace Flightmaster SND253P3, only because I miss the weight on my wrist if I don't. My HTC EVO has been my "watch" for almost two years. I'll probably use the Seiko more as I learn to fly since it's always out and visible.

Attachments

• SND253P3.jpg
    SND253P3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 42
I am a huge fan of Luminox watches. I've owned a few couple The first one made it through two rough tours in Iraq and held up remarkably. I shattered it (along with my wrist) in a pretty nasty mountain biking accident. The hands glow incredibly bright. The model I have (SEAL 3001 Dive) is a pretty sound investment at $200.

I just received my Skyhawk A-T back from the factory after having a Saphire crystal installed. Loving it!

I purchased a Seiko diving watch in 1989...it still works perfectly...

I guess they don't make that kind of quality these days...

I purchased a Seiko diving watch in 1989...it still works perfectly...

I guess they don't make that kind of quality these days...

I have gotten excellent service from Seikos; over 30 years, only one ever failed, bought in 1982, died somewhere around 1998.

Ymmv.

This is the latest addition to my collection of watches:

53645d1257687521-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-35302d1246897963t-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-casio1.jpg

It is a Casio Edifice 527-L. The picture is not mine, I took it from this post in a German watch forum.

The watch is also availabe in the US, Amazon.com is currently listing it for $102.90.

The built in E6B is however more a toy than an actual tool. Even though the bezel moves very smoothly, the numbers are so small that even sombody with really good eyes has difficulties reading them. Specifically, when it gets darker.

Besides of this, it is a very nice watch, that even looks way more expensive than it actually is... :wink2: :lol:

Cheers,

Oliver

I've had mine for about a year love it, wear it every day. I got mine with miles from United.

For the same reasons I like glass cockpits...I wear a $30 Timex Expedition.

Dove with a citizens aqualung watch for over 15 years before it finally died! Seems to be quite a few pilots wearing the citizens aviation watches.

Casio G Shock with world time (every time zone). $30ish. Got it while flying the 777. Too many time zones!

My wife got me this for my birthday a couple weeks back..

51urlnJgBpL._SY445_.jpg

She and I both realize the good humor with which a pilot's watch should be worn. The E6B/slide rule is cute, but not particularly functional.

I wear watches as functional fashion accessories, and this one qualifies quite high on my personal fashion scale. I'm a big fan of the analog chronograph, and this one works great for that.

My wife got me this for my birthday a couple weeks back..

51urlnJgBpL._SY445_.jpg

She and I both realize the good humor with which a pilot's watch should be worn. The E6B/slide rule is cute, but not particularly functional.

I wear watches as functional fashion accessories, and this one qualifies quite high on my personal fashion scale. I'm a big fan of the analog chronograph, and this one works great for that.

You'd be surprised. I use the multiplication/division all the time. Nice watch!

I have a Citizen Skyhawk I'm trying to sell with ecodrive. Things are harder to sell than day old pancakes outside the Pilot groups. I've had it 10 years and it's been in a drawer for 9.9 of those years. Looks and works like the day I got it. PM me for pics and more info if you are interested.

I have a Timex T49824 I really like.

T49824_8m.jpg

Got it for $60.

Back