Pilot Watches

Some of the newer Timex watches have an alarm that vibrates. That would be handy for use in a noisy plane.

I've had both of those Citizens. The bottom one my internal E6B broke though. Right now I've got a Citizen Black Eagle. I like it but I'm ready to step up to something else. Definitely need something with a light.

I wear the older one, on the left. The other is the newer model.

Attachments

• Airman 1.png
    Airman 1.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Glycine Airman 18.jpg
    Glycine Airman 18.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I have a standard Skyhawk A-T as well. I am wearing that one now I will grab a cockpit shot of it lol.

OK, fine pilot watches are jewelry, get over it. The entry level digital watches match or exceed the best that the mechanical movements can do...

Having said that, my wife was insistent that I store my Breitling (given to me by the former wife) and what watch would I like. I chose the Hanhardt Admiral, a replica of the Luftwaffe issued watch (except the Luftwaffe watch had a black face) because it had aviation history in spades, and it satisfied her high end need to beat the former wife's gift.

I proudly wear it. But it is just a watch.

Oh, by the way: The Breitling and the Hanhardt have the same movement under the case!...

-Skip

Attachments

• hanhardt.jpg
    hanhardt.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 85
It is a little weird how people react to fine watches. Why do some of you guys have a weird issue with expensive watches?

I have a Ventura V-Matic titanium that I wear a couple times a year. Cool watch but I would scratch it working on airplanes. Don

OH! That's a decimal (150.00), not a comma (15,000).

Isn't a Real Pilot Watch TM about $15k these days??

breitling-bentley-gmt-watch-red-gold-3-3.jpg

:rolleyes2:

You can get a Breitling Aerospace for around 3K....

Very stylish, very light, almost indestructible ( made of titanium ), very reliable...

It's the most functional aviation watch IMHO - and the choice of many Israeli pilots...

harrison-ford-sports-breitling-aerospace-replica

http://www.breitlingwings.com/2012/07/harrison-ford-sports-breitling-aerospace-replica/#

Last edited:
My guess is that about 25-30% of the pilots at my airline have a Citizens. For international travel, I used the time zone functions often.

My guess is that about 25-30% of the pilots at my airline have a Citizens. For international travel, I used the time zone functions often.

I use that function a lot. My wife says it was a key reason for choosing the watch when she surprised me with it for Christmas in 2008.

I have one of those. I used to wear it all the time, dialed exchange rates into the E6B so I would glace at it and covert rubles or shekels to Dollars and vice versa.
The white and red hands to do Zulu never worked for me. I never managed to get it right and use it to tell Zulu.

Frankly, the last four years I just can't read anything but the hands, the rest of it is just to small to use (even with my bifocals on).

This is the latest addition to my collection of watches:

53645d1257687521-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-35302d1246897963t-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-casio1.jpg

It is a Casio Edifice 527-L. The picture is not mine, I took it from this post in a German watch forum.

The watch is also availabe in the US, Amazon.com is currently listing it for $102.90.

The built in E6B is however more a toy than an actual tool. Even though the bezel moves very smoothly, the numbers are so small that even sombody with really good eyes has difficulties reading them. Specifically, when it gets darker.

Besides of this, it is a very nice watch, that even looks way more expensive than it actually is... :wink2: :lol:

Cheers,

Oliver

It is a Casio Edifice 527-L. The picture is not mine, I took it from this post in a German watch forum.

The watch is also availabe in the US, Amazon.com is currently listing it for $102.90.

The built in E6B is however more a toy than an actual tool. Even though the bezel moves very smoothly, the numbers are so small that even sombody with really good eyes has difficulties reading them. Specifically, when it gets darker.

Besides of this, it is a very nice watch, that even looks way more expensive than it actually is... :wink2: :lol:

Cheers,

Oliver

Item weight: 1 lb?!?!

53645d1257687521-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-35302d1246897963t-casio-edifice-ef-527l-1avef-casio1.jpg

Cheers,

Oliver

Nice looking watch! I had forgotten about Casio watches.

David

Is there a second time zone for Zulu? That is the main thing I am looking for in a watch for flying.

Is there a second time zone for Zulu? That is the main thing I am looking for in a watch for flying.

I haven't found a good solution for that other than digital, or analog with a digital window in the face.

Let me second the Casio G-Shock.
Mine is one of the less expensive versions, has been dropped waaay too many times, worn while running a hammer drill for many hours, goes on the tractors in the dust/heat/vibration of a working farm, goes into the shower with me, and has epoxy stuck to the band I can't get off (building row boats for the grandchildren), and in general been to heck and back and it just keeps on running.

I thought about a male enhancement device such as a Rolex, etc. but then decided that money would put a new paint job and interior for the plane, then thought THAT money would buy new electronic meters for the corn planter which would improve my net by enough to buy a Rolex so I spent it on the planter. Still haven't bought a Rolex, though.

Now, the 30 buck Timex looks like it will do the job nicely. Buy it and spend the difference on some 100LL.

I wear the older one, on the left. The other is the newer model.
Just got one of these for Christmas from my uncle. The original recipt was in the box (a nice finger jointed wood box), which was dated sometime in 1970. There was a small envelope in the box indicating that it had been serviced in 1984, and he says he hasnt worn it since. It started ticking as soon as i picked it up, and I've been wearing it without any problems since. I will probably have it serviced anyway soon.

Apparently people are willing to pay >$2000 for a restored Airman.

http://watchestobuy.com/GlycineAirman60s.htm

Last edited:
Just got one of these for Christmas from my uncle. The original recipt was in the box (a nice finger jointed wood box), which was dated sometime in 1970. There was a small envelope in the box indicating that it had been serviced in 1984, and he says he hasnt worn it since. It started ticking as soon as i picked it up, and I've been wearing it without any problems since. I will probably have it serviced anyway soon.
Got mine in 1979. They had started making quartz models by then and I was adamant I wanted an automatic model (Airman 1). Werner Siegrist, owner of the company and the premier Glycine service tech in the U.S., hand-built mine for me. There were newer automatic models available in Europe, but I don't think they were being imported here yet, but I could be mistaken. I had Werner do a complete service for me about five years ago (although it was running fine before). Glad I did, he retired last year or possibly 2011.

Got mine in 1979. They had started making quartz models by then and I was adamant I wanted an automatic model (Airman 1). Werner Siegrist, owner of the company and the premier Glycine service tech in the U.S., hand-built mine for me. There were newer automatic models available in Europe, but I don't think they were being imported here yet, but I could be mistaken. I had Werner do a complete service for me about five years ago (although it was running fine before). Glad I did, he retired last year or possibly 2011.
From what I understand, it's a pretty standard off-the-shelf movement. Should I be concerned about anything in particular when having it serviced? I know of one oddity: the hacking feature, in which a tiny hair-thin pin protrudes from the 12 o'clock position to stop the seconds hand when the crown is pulled out. I would hate for this to get damaged.

I would also like to have a display back put on, as well.

Pulsar Chronograph 100m.
You can get them for <$140.00 if you look in places like Kohls and Macys

Here is a link to a picture. It's NOT an endorsment for the jewelry store. I'm just too lazy to download, trim and upload a picture.

http://www.reeds.com/Men-s-Pulsar-C...tml?catargetid=1668656852&CAWELAID=1553289201

The only thing I don't like is the band. The little widgets that you tuck the end under keep slipping off, so you always have a piece of watch band sticking out.

Glenn

glycine-airman-22-.jpg

Airman 1.jpg
I haven't found a good solution for that other than digital, or analog with a digital window in the face.
See post #84 for a good, albeit expensive solution. There is also some new models that have three zones, all analog. Outer ring can be rotated to any time zone. Nice thing is that you can see any time in any two time zones simultaneously. Not just time in second zone at the present time, but at any time past or present. e.g., say it's 1300 local time, you can instantly read the Zulu time at any point during a 24 hour period.

Not sure my explanation was very clear. Just look at the photo in the post and imagine the outer bezel rotated to read the difference in hours between any two time zones. That way, you can compare the Z time and local at any time during the day.

The attached photos show two different time zones displayed.

Last edited:
From what I understand, it's a pretty standard off-the-shelf movement. Should I be concerned about anything in particular when having it serviced? I know of one oddity: the hacking feature, in which a tiny hair-thin pin protrudes from the 12 o'clock position to stop the seconds hand when the crown is pulled out. I would hate for this to get damaged.

I would also like to have a display back put on, as well.
You're correct, it's a fairly standard swiss movement, and I'm sure any competent watch repairman can service it. I'm not any kind of watch expert, just enjoy nice ones, but I think you're correct that special care needs to be taken to protect the hacking mechanism. I hope you enjoy yours.

I purchased mine new for about $150, and have seen them sold on collector sites for around $2000. Of course, it all depends on who wants it. I much prefer to keep mine. The money would be gone it short order, but I can enjoy the watch for many years, and pass it on to my son later. Never an investment for me.

I haven't worn a watch in 6-8 years, but this one is definitely a handsome unit.....have Amazon up now debating... hmmmm.... :confused: :nonod: :eek: :yesnod:

Edit: ordered it.

Last edited:
A couple cockpit shots of my Citizens:

4vp7hu.jpg

Man of good taste. I have a Nighthawk (though in carbon/black), and it has done well over the last 4 years or so. Never thought twice about wearing it flying, and it has somehow avoided the cuts and bruises that my hands normally get strapping in and/or preflighting....and no, I'm not a guy that wears gloves, so that isn't the reason :) Only damage it has had is getting some sand stuck in the dial that locked up the E6B style functionality. That all being said, I have yet to actually use it in the jet, but I don't need to take it off to fly at least. We had a squadron buy of custom Breitlings amongst the JO's, and I couldn't really justify $3200 for a watch, even if it was a discount from 5k, so I decided to keep the Nighthawk.

How do you like the Ball? I've had my eye on that one for quite sometime.

I like it. Mine is the 44mm version instead of the 46mm. Don't think they make the 44mm one anymore. As with all Ball watches, the lume is outstanding. I'm a watch buff, but I don't wear any of my nice watches while flying. To much stuff to bang them on in the cockpit. I fly with my trusty old G shock.

I was a watch enthusiast all my life until very recently. My IPhone is in my pocket constantly. My cars have great and accurate clocks. My plane has a dead on accurate quartz clock. My IPad has a clock and if I'm flying it's always on and my IPhone mounted on the yoke. There are two computers on my desk always displaying the time in the lower right corner.

I haven't strapped a watch on my arm or put one in my pocket in a LONG time. It's a shame too. I have about a dozen really top notch antique railroad grade pocket watches, a nice Rolex and several other top quality time pieces just taking up space in a drawer.

I don't need no stinking watch!

Over your budget, but my wife just got me this for Christmas this year.

It is a Citizen Skyhawk and it very nice. I haven't worn a watch in years for the same reasons everyone else states. This is big, but looks nice (I think). Might swap out the metal band for something a little less heavy but certainly checks the "dorky pilot watch" box in a good way ;)

Jeff

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 38
I don't need no stinking watch!

A buddy of mine retired a few years ago (and I mean, *retired*, as in no more work). The thing he enjoyed most was taking his watch off and putting it in a drawer.
He and his wife go to sleep when they're tired, get up when they're not, eat when they're hungry, and go where they want, when they want.

The only exception is when he has a doctor's appointment or something where he has to be somewhere at a specific time (rare).

That would be nice.

A buddy of mine retired a few years ago (and I mean, *retired*, as in no more work). The thing he enjoyed most was taking his watch off and putting it in a drawer.
He and his wife go to sleep when they're tired, get up when they're not, eat when they're hungry, and go where they want, when they want.

The only exception is when he has a doctor's appointment or something where he has to be somewhere at a specific time (rare).

That would be nice.

Why wait til you're old? Go on welfare!! (Although there's probably a program that provides watches!) :goofy:

Back