Pilot Training Time?

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
Okay so I will be meeting with my new instructor at Redbird Skyport on Monday. I will be spending everyday except Sunday at the Skyport. Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8am-11:30am. Tuesday from 8am-2:30pm and Friday and Saturday basically all day. In reality, how long do you think it will take to get my PPL. Already have my medical and written. I also have 20 hours already just haven't flown in a while, So I need to recap on somethings.

Alot of it is up to the student, how hard you can hit it, how hard you study after the flight, how much you chair fly etc.

I used to train up career guys, we would fly 2 flight a day, 1.5 - 2hrs a flight and I would get them done in 1 - 1.5 months. This was OLD SCHOOL flight training mind you.

Redbird, I am on the redbird group and have used the FMX a ton. It's great for IFR stuff, however I really didnt use it much for PPL VFR ops, it just doesnt fly like a real airplane (partially because it's a fancy machine running Microsoft Flight Sim X). The redbird skyport instructors do seem very professional in the group though.

Okay so I will be meeting with my new instructor at Redbird Skyport on Monday. I will be spending everyday except Sunday at the Skyport. Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8am-11:30am. Tuesday from 8am-2:30pm and Friday and Saturday basically all day. In reality, how long do you think it will take to get my PPL. Already have my medical and written. I also have 20 hours already just haven't flown in a while, So I need to recap on somethings.

If you can keep that schedule, pretty quick. Don't burn yourself out, though.

Figure 10-12 hours of logged flying each week based on what you've mentioned. A lot of that scheduled time will be spent flight briefing and ground school. You'll also loose some time for weather, health, maintenance, etc.

Get your knowledge test out of the way as soon as possible so that doesn't hold you up at the end.

Good luck!

If you can keep that schedule, pretty quick. Don't burn yourself out, though.

Figure 10-12 hours of logged flying each week based on what you've mentioned. A lot of that scheduled time will be spent flight briefing and ground school. You'll also loose some time for weather, health, maintenance, etc.

Get your knowledge test out of the way as soon as possible so that doesn't hold you up at the end.

Good luck!

I already have my knowledge test out of the way! Thanks! I really hope I can finish up finally!

A lot of times it's like riding a bicycle. I took a couple years off before I got back into it. Biggest thing was the procedures and getting them down again. The airplane control came back really quickly. Give it a couple flights and you'll be back to where you were. Just hit it hard and you can get it done in a month.

Without having flown with you to evaluate your knowledge, skill level, and proficiency, there is no way to answer your question.

I already have my knowledge test out of the way! Thanks! I really hope I can finish up finally!
You stated that your first 20 hours were done some time ago and you're now rusty... which suggests the possibility that your knowledge test was possibly a while ago too? Keep in mind that the test is only valid for 24 months; if you don't complete your check ride successfully before then, you must retake the exam.

Also, studying does not stop once you've passed your exam. At a minimum you will be tested on random parts of it during the oral portion of your check ride (and if you start that off poorly, even if you scrape by, your successful completion will be made more difficult due to likely stronger DPE scrutiny).

You stated that your first 20 hours were done some time ago and you're now rusty... which suggests the possibility that your knowledge test was possibly a while ago too? Keep in mind that the test is only valid for 24 months; if you don't complete your check ride successfully before then, you must retake the exam.

Also, studying does not stop once you've passed your exam. At a minimum you will be tested on random parts of it during the oral portion of your check ride (and if you start that off poorly, even if you scrape by, your successful completion will be made more difficult due to likely stronger DPE scrutiny).

No, I stopped flying like 4 months ago but now I am serious about it and I got my written out of the way like 2 weeks ago so I can focus everything on flying!

Back