Pilot Insurance

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
Well, I got a job flying for a construction company and I figured it was time to look for insurance.

The airplane and I would be covered, but to what extent? I'm sure that's in the fine print on the policy, but I really want to know whether or not I should supplement myself with my own insurance.. Or is that just called life insurance? I know there's rental insurance but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

I probably didn't add enough detail to make this thread useful, but is looking for my own thing a bad idea?

What items (or perils as the insurance jargon goes) do you feel you need to insure against?

Harm to someone's person?
Harm to someone's property (permanent and portable)?
Harm to your person (workers comp style and short/long term disability?
What else could we add here....?

Whose airplane is it? Whose policy is it? What type of policy coverage is it (I'm guessing it's Industrial Aid)? Are you an employee of the aircraft owner or just an independent contractor?

If you are an employee of the aircraft owner hired as the company pilot, and the company holds an Industrial Aid policy, you probably do not need any additional aviation insurance for either hull or liability. But unless there is some sort of other company life insurance program which meets your family's financial needs should you die, you will still probably need your own life insurance with no aviation exclusion.

What items (or perils as the insurance jargon goes) do you feel you need to insure against?

Harm to someone's person?
Harm to someone's property (permanent and portable)?
Harm to your person (workers comp style and short/long term disability?
What else could we add here....?
I don't know. This won't be an easy road, should I choose to go down it.

Whose airplane is it? Whose policy is it? What type of policy coverage is it (I'm guessing it's Industrial Aid)? Are you an employee of the aircraft owner or just an independent contractor?

If you are an employee of the aircraft owner hired as the company pilot, and the company holds an Industrial Aid policy, you probably do not need any additional aviation insurance for either hull or liability. But unless there is some sort of other company life insurance program which meets your family's financial needs should you die, you will still probably need your own life insurance with no aviation exclusion.
Got it. Thanks.

As Ron suggested, I would obtain a copy of the current insurance policy, the go visit a independent insurance agent who handles all lines of insurance. Ask them to review the policy, ask you about your needs, and the have a discussion on what is needed to fill the gaps and plug the holes.

As Ron suggested, I would obtain a copy of the current insurance policy, the go visit a independent insurance agent who handles all lines of insurance. Ask them to review the policy, ask you about your needs, and the have a discussion on what is needed to fill the gaps and plug the holes.

I'll do exactly that. Thanks a lot.

Back