Pilot gets Medal of Honor 41 years later

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
It is a little late but I'm glad they didn't wait until he died to present it. I have a very strong feeling for guys that laid their lives on the line. Those that didn't have to go to war owe a lot to those that did. We enjoy all the freedoms that they do, They picked up the tab. Thanks to all of you who picked up the tab. Bob

Wow, the med evac unit refused to fly! And then he and his group flew over 70 soldiers out in 3 days! Not too shabby.

Wow, the med evac unit refused to fly! And then he and his group flew over 70 soldiers out in 3 days! Not too shabby.
Yep! First I would give him the smartest salute I could manage, then I would buy him a drink! I am very glad the Medal got to him while he is alive.

-Skip

I saw this on Fox News at
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254279,00.html

41 years later! Battle of I Drang Valley; He was with the 229th in the First Cav. I had the distinction of briefly serving there (while on the way to another assignment in 1972). Supported them on a couple missions!

Quite a distinction! Hand Salute!!

Best,

Dave

While I do understand the selectiveness and careful review required for a MoH, it does seem like the military HATES to give them out for people living.

Probably has to do with the fact that the generals have to salute the MoH holder first if he is wearing it! LOL

That's an awesome story of courage and honor others could aspire to. Be it late, I'm glad he received this much-deserved award while still alive.

It makes you wonder how many others out there who never received deserved recognition. Too many men have died, having been cast aside in the years after this war. At least Major Crandall wasn't one of them.

It does bother me they didn't capitalize his rank. Perhaps it was out of ignorance. An O-4 isn't just handed out. He earned it.

Back