Pilot Flying vs. Pilot in Command

S

SJP

I'm sure this has been answered 50 times already - but I'll ask it again.

On the return flight from an EAA pancake breakfast today, I was the sole manipulator of the controls (taxi-takeoff-cruise-approach-landing and final taxi to parking) from the right seat, with my buddy who owns the plane sat in the left seat. He flew the outbound leg of the trip. He is PP:AMEL + IFR + Commercial (+ B52s a while back!).

Plane is a older Mooney, so complex but not High Perf.

Can I log any time for that trip ? - I don't have a complex rating, but am PP:ASEL. We plan on doing this once or twice a week, so if I can book time, it would be a nice way to add to the logbook. :D

Oh, and pancakes were awesome :)

Rather than starting yet another long thread about logging flight time, I'll refer to you the updated section "Logbooks and Logging Time" on the AOPA Web site. If you're an AOPA member, you can read answers to common questions like yours, learn about interpretations of the rules, and decide for yourself if you want to log the time.

You may want to pay particular attention to:

Logging Pilot in Command (PIC) Time

and

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Logging high-performance, complex training time[/font]

BruceAir said:
Rather than starting yet another long thread about logging flight time, I'll refer to you the updated section "Logbooks and Logging Time" on the AOPA Web site. If you're an AOPA member, you can read answers to common questions like yours, learn about interpretations of the rules, and decide for yourself if you want to log the time.

And Steve, why don't you post your answer to your own question after reviewing this information so we can insure you understand it now.

Ok, As I read it, I can log PIC (flying) time as long as I am rated for the aircraft (ASEL), but I can only act as PIC (responsible) if I have the appropriate ratings for that aircraft (complex in this case).

So, in my scenario, I am sole-manipulator, and have someone who is willing to assume PIC (responsible) for the flight, I can log the time, but he cant log the same time in his logbook (unless we were sim-instrument etc).

SJP said:
Ok, As I read it, I can log PIC (flying) time as long as I am rated for the aircraft (ASEL), but I can only act as PIC (responsible) if I have the appropriate ratings for that aircraft (complex in this case).

I believe you have the correct idea, but here is somewhat of an important vocabulary note: Complex is an endorsement , not a rating. Ratings are things like Cessna 500 series. There is no rating for a Mooney. You must have all appropriate ratings to log the time, but you need not have all appropriate endorsements.

So, in my scenario, I am sole-manipulator, and have someone who is willing to assume PIC (responsible) for the flight, I can log the time, but he cant log the same time in his logbook (unless we were sim-instrument etc).

Correct. Your friend could also log the time simultaneously if he were a CFI providing you complex instruction (or any other instruction).

Interesting side note--even if you didn't have someone along to be legal PIC you could log the time. Of course, you would also be providing legal evidence for the FAA bust, but you could log the time.

Back