Pilatus P-3 trainer ride

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
A friend who owns an extensively worked over P-3 owed me a ride for a helo ride I had given him a while back. We went up this morning, and I have to say that it was a really fun ride. He started out with aileron rolls and then moved into stuff that I don't even know the names of!

All that was followed by a low pass at 40N -- when he pulled up on the stick he had the VSI pegged. He finished up with a really beautiful landing in a crosswind gusting to 18 kt.

Cool ride!

Then we went over to my hangar to see the R44, and the helicopter CFI who keeps an R22 in the next hangar suckered me into ride along with a commercial student of his, and my Pilatus friend. This was the first time I had flown the 44 with 4 people aboard (I just passed the minimum hours required by our insurance the other day for taking PAX in the back seats). In spite of the warm day (I had a little over 1/2 fuel) I still got amost 1000 fpm without using maximum MP!

RotaryWingBob said:
A friend who owns an extensively worked over P-3 owed me a ride for a helo ride I had given him a while back. We went up this morning, and I have to say that it was a really fun ride. He started out with aileron rolls and then moved into stuff that I don't even know the names of!

All that was followed by a low pass at 40N -- when he pulled up on the stick he had the VSI pegged. He finished up with a really beautiful landing in a crosswind gusting to 18 kt.

Cool ride!

Then we went over to my hangar to see the R44, and the helicopter CFI who keeps an R22 in the next hangar suckered me into ride along with a commercial student of his, and my Pilatus friend. This was the first time I had flown the 44 with 4 people aboard (I just passed the minimum hours required by our insurance the other day for taking PAX in the back seats). In spite of the warm day (I had a little over 1/2 fuel) I still got amost 1000 fpm without using maximum MP!

Cool, so what's your usefull load and distribution envelope in the 44?

Henning said:
Cool, so what's your usefull load and distribution envelope in the 44?
I attached both CG envelopes FYI. At half fuel, you can carry 800 lbs of meat in the ship. With full tanks, about 650 lbs.

Attachments

• r44envelope.jpg
    r44envelope.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
RotaryWingBob said:
I attached both CG envelopes FYI. At half fuel, you can carry 800 lbs of meat in the ship. With full tanks, about 650 lbs.

Where is the datum on the R44?

Back