Pie Cherries?

larrysb said:
Very non-aviation, but my wife has been looking for fresh or fresh-frozen pie cherries. For some reason, we cannot find them in the grocery stores around home. I happened to spot some in a grocery store in near Seattle, but lacking any means to get them home and keep them frozen, I didn't buy them.

Is there any place to order them on the net?

My wife makes great pies. I just want to help. :goofy: :D

Larry I cannot help with locating any cherries, perhaps your local grocier will order them for you.
I find it funny that there is a Federal Regulation about cherry pies (my fav!)
[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 2]
[Revised as of April 1, 2003]

[Page 458-460]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS

CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN
SERVICES (CONTINUED)

PART 152--FRUIT PIES--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Requirements for Specific Standardized Fruit Pies

Sec. 152.126 Cherry pie................................................................................

Let's have some fun.

CFR for Cherry Pies

(a)Unless authorized by the Administrator, no pie, or ingredients thereof, or that of the fruit filling, or substitution of ingredients, except that listed in (g) of this part, or (4)(iii), of the last part of the previous part, shall be placed on or near a mixing bowl;

unless,

Its a pretty cool airport kent, and the cherry and cranberry fields look really cool from the air,

and back on topic, I have no idea where to buy fresh cherries from if not available in grocery store.

larrysb said:
Very non-aviation, but my wife has been looking for fresh or fresh-frozen pie cherries. For some reason, we cannot find them in the grocery stores around home. I happened to spot some in a grocery store in near Seattle, but lacking any means to get them home and keep them frozen, I didn't buy them.

Is there any place to order them on the net?

My wife makes great pies. I just want to help. :goofy: :D

How much are you willing to invest? I could next day you some in dry ice.

Pop me a PM early next summer after I move to Oregon, and we can arrange to fly you over all the cherries you want. Or, come and pick your own. We used to drive deep in the orchard, stack a couple bales of hay in the back of the pickup, and from atop these precarious perches, heads in the branches, would pick and pick and pick...

If the fruit missed the bucket, it would be in the pickup bed.

It's a bit late in the season for fresh cherries about now, isn't it?

good luck locating them. You can try here: http://www.tree-mendus.com/customercenter.html

terry

Re: Canned Cherries

Mike Schneider said:
I have never eaten a cherry pie that wasn't made from canned cherries. Susan hasn't either.

Oh, I have. Much better....

NEVER had a pie made from fresh cherries? Oh, you poor, poor thing.

The Rainiers we grow aren't much good for pies, they're best eaten right off the tree. The Summits and Chelans we have would make an excellent pie. I sent about 20 lbs of them up to a friend, along with about 40 lbs of apricots and plums. She sent me back a dozen jars of jelly and a note telling me no more fruit until next year. The cobbler she made from the Summits was wonderful.

If you want REAL cherries, not that stuff from Michigan, get a hold of Stemilt Growers here in Wenatchee. We sell our fruit to them. They will probably have cherries, they keep for about 5-6 weeks in cold storage. Ours came off the trees in mid-July.

http://www.stemilt.com/RetailStore/cherries.php

DeeG said:
...If you want REAL cherries, not that stuff from Michigan, get a hold of Stemilt Growers here in Wenatchee. We sell our fruit to them. They will probably have cherries, they keep for about 5-6 weeks in cold storage. Ours came off the trees in mid-July.

http://www.stemilt.com/RetailStore/cherries.php

OOOOH!! I think we have a regional cherry war a brewin'! :)

We can't have a cherry taste-off when one or the other has to travel halfway across the U.S. to compete.

Back