Pictures

I've noticed no one has actually uploaded their photos to the Gaston's Fly-In website. I would ask that you do so - it's the only place where the pictures will remain and it's the only place people looking to learn more about the fly-in will find them. I know it's not the most amazing interface but if you could upload a couple of your best it would really help.

First time in my life...ever...I've found a picture on my cell phone that I simply do not recall.

WTF was this all about?
wtf.jpg

Jesse-Can we caption it?

"someone ate a hot dog with ketchup and needs vomiting induced"

I'm uploading a boat load of them now to YouTube. Though many of them are about flying, this one is not, and is, I think, my favorite.

I call it "Dave S's un-birthday":

Great angle on that cherry toss TW! Maybe we should have an annual cherry tossing event <g>

Best,

Dave

I've noticed no one has actually uploaded their photos to the Gaston's Fly-In website. I would ask that you do so - it's the only place where the pictures will remain and it's the only place people looking to learn more about the fly-in will find them. I know it's not the most amazing interface but if you could upload a couple of your best it would really help.
OK, I finally figured it out. I'm not sure what the file size limit is but I was exceeding it at first so I had to downsize my pictures.

You do great vids, Troy!

Probably pretty difficult to follow from the back. What happened on our arrival is tower told us there was a B-17 behind us (he was bringing it behind us on a left base while we were straight in) and instructed us to maintain 'best forward speed'. There was a Cirrus about five miles ahead we didn't have in sight. Since we were descending from 3,000, best forward speed was about 200 knots indicated (can't do faster than that in the B--right <g> (although we were under the Class B shelf when under 3,000.).

Long story short, closer in we still didn't have the Cirrus in sight, so, we asked tower about our speed and the controller said to begin slowing. Well, when we finally got a visual on the Cirrus, it was too late, and had to do a go-around. Which was kinna fun because we got to see the B-17 come in behind us.

In retrospect, had tower given us a target speed it would have been much better for all. We've flown around B-17s enough to know we don't slow them down if we maintain 140 knots or so on the approach.

Best,

Dave

You do great vids, Troy!

Probably pretty difficult to follow from the back. What happened on our arrival is tower told us there was a B-17 behind us (he was bringing it behind us on a left base while we were straight in) and instructed us to maintain 'best forward speed'. There was a Cirrus about five miles ahead we didn't have in sight. Since we were descending from 3,000, best forward speed was about 200 knots indicated (can't do faster than that in the B--right <g> (although we were under the Class B shelf when under 3,000.).

Long story short, closer in we still didn't have the Cirrus in sight, so, we asked tower about our speed and the controller said to begin slowing. Well, when we finally got a visual on the Cirrus, it was too late, and had to do a go-around. Which was kinna fun because we got to see the B-17 come in behind us.

In retrospect, had tower given us a target speed it would have been much better for all. We've flown around B-17s enough to know we don't slow them down if we maintain 140 knots or so on the approach.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave, yeah, that was great fun. I see this morning that our departure video, with the Liberator in the runup area, failed to load. I'll reload it tonight when I get home.

Unfortunately, I really didn't take many pictures this year. I have one of Spike, but I think I'll hold off posting that! :)

So, how small do I have to make the pics to allow them to successfully upload to the Fly-In Gallery?

The size limitations on photo uploads on the gastons fly-in website should be fixed.

Very nice photos, Brooke! :) I LOVE the one of Nikki smiling for your camera!!

Dave,

After watching the video, I'm curious about the go-around. My primary CFI taught "Climb it, clean it, cool it, and call it" for go-arounds and that has served me well even getting into higher-performance airplanes. (You don't do much for "cool it" in a 172... ;)) It looks from the video like you did it flaps first, then gear, then power? Was that due to the excess speed you were carrying, or something specific to the airplane, or something else? It is kind of hard to follow what was going on when in the video otherwise since there's no intercom audio.

BTW, every time I "ride" in your airplane, even virtually, I get plane envy. Man, that's a nice bird, and you handle her well. :yes:

Back