Pictures from the great northwest

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
The Tulips are in full bloom on the Skagit Flats. The pics are of the Roosengarr farms about 200 ac. 3 miles west of Mount Vernon Wa.

The Geese are here too. abot 1 million in this flock

NC19143 said:
The Tulips are in full bloom on the Skagit Flats. The pics are of the Roosengarr farms about 200 ac. 3 miles west of Mount Vernon Wa.

Thank you Tom! One of my favorite memories was riding through the countryside north of Seattle with a friend during Tulip season. Someday, I'll get to fly over it....

Tulips a favorite....

Bruce, Can you imagine encountering that flock in flight?

2 days in that field and there will not be a blade of grass standing, and when they lift off to go to another field they all take a dump.

A couple years ago they took off across the freeway (I-5) and raised havoic with traffic, cause it rained goose poop for about 5 miles, every one had to stop and clean their windshields.

Last edited:
Nice pics, TD. The Tulip Pedal is this Saturday somewhere in Skagit County. We may have to load up the bikes. Next Sunday (17th) is the Daffodil Classic Ride in Orting. Another excuse to go pedal my arse around the countryside.

Dee
PS The cherries are blooming!! May get an early harvest this year, if we don't get a late frost.

DeeG said:
Nice pics, TD. The Tulip Pedal is this Saturday somewhere in Skagit County. We may have to load up the bikes. Next Sunday (17th) is the Daffodil Classic Ride in Orting. Another excuse to go pedal my arse around the countryside.

Dee
PS The cherries are blooming!! May get an early harvest this year, if we don't get a late frost.

well if you come over drop by..we we'll be home.

Beautiful shots! I'll have to get over there someday since it is in the neighborhood.

And here are the Skagit County tulip fields from the air, just a year ago.

For you trivia buffs: Skagit, Co. WA is the most productive grower and exporter of tulips and tulip bulbs in the world, more than the Netherlands. Anyway, that was the common wisdom a few years ago--I can't vouch for it. But it's big industry in these parts.

Regards-- Hunter

Last edited:
Handsfield said:

For you trivia buffs: Skagit, Co. WA is the most productive grower and exporter of tulips and tulip bulbs in the world, more than the Netherlands. Anyway, that was the common wisdom a few years ago--I can't vouch for it. But it's big industry in these parts.

Regards-- Hunter

When I first came to Whidbey Is almost every field on the delta was flowers. not so any more, bulb prices are way down from what they were, Now almost all of the delta is planted to berries and Potatoes.

The Roosen Gauard (sp) farms are the only fields this year.

Handsfield said:

But it's big industry in these parts.

Regards-- Hunter

Wow, Looks like a big industry. I had no idea. Thanks for the photo's Tom and Hunter.

Handsfield said:

Regards-- Hunter

Beautiful photos. The rows are so even and straight. The colors are vibrant.

DeeG said:
Another excuse to go pedal my arse around the countryside.
I think that's illegal everywhere except Clark County, Nevada... :p

gkainz said:
I think that's illegal everywhere except Clark County, Nevada... :p

I believe you mean "peddling" would be illegal. Pedaling would not unless there are some peculiar laws in place of which I am not aware. :)

What's a few homonyms among friends? :rofl: wish I could remember the whole joke - something about "sister mary arrested for pedaling her a$$ around town" in the middle of the joke...

Amazing. I was going to ask what they look like from the air. I thought areial views of corn mazes were neat but those photos are even better.:blueplane:

gkainz said:
What's a few homonyms among friends? :rofl: wish I could remember the whole joke - something about "sister mary arrested for pedaling her a$$ around town" in the middle of the joke...

HA! I didn't know it was a punchline.

Actually, the tulip fields can be disappointing from the air. The natural tendency is to fly directly overhead, but that view is primarily brown soil with stripes of color. You need a low angle and a perspective across the rows, not down the rows, which means being either fairly far away or quite low. Lighting angle also makes a difference. I think my posted photos were taken about a mile from the fields and 800-1000' AGL. Anyway, a fair number of pilots are disappointed by aerial tulip field flights if they don't take the time to linger in the area looking for the best perspectives.

Hunter

Back