Pictures from Talkeetna

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing them. Love the fall colors.

We bought a flightseeing ride in one of Talkeetna Air Taxi's C-185's in August 2003. We lucked out with perfect weather and smooth air. Here are a couple of the photos ...

[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/665489/L[/font][/font][/font]

[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]http://www.airliners.net/open.file/845736/L/

-- Pilawt
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

Cool pictures, Kath!

Some years back I hiked in the Talkeetna area with a guide who worked for Billy Fitzgerald. It was a flight in Billy's Super Cub from a lake near his house to a lake near Bald Mountain which reawakened my interest in aviation (I wanted to fly as teenager, but never had money AND time at the same time).

As a result of that flight (and the return), a few weeks later, at age 58, I started working on my PP-ASEL, which I got at 59. Not being content to leave well enough alone, I took an intro helicopter lesson on my 60th birthday, later bought into the R22 and started (and finished) my PP-RH at 61.

So I have fond memories of Talkeetna (if expensive ones!).

As to the weird rain, I've never encountered anything nasty near virga, but remember reading somewhere that there can be strong downdrafts and turbulence below it. Maybe that's what is stirring up things there?

I spent about 25 hours in Talkeetna about 4 years ago, and in that time went on not one but two long flights around Denali. It was so gorgeous I had to do it twice. I went with McKinley Air Service, which unfortunately is out of business--it was a one-pilot operation and she crashed and died (surprised me, too, because she was very, very good and very careful). Landed on two different glaciers. Cost a mint, but was worth every penny.

Judy

Those are great Kath!

I really like Denali Peeking. It doesn't look like it's attached to the Earth.

That weird rain one looks like rain making it to the ground and/or virga falling into an area of high humidity and exceeding the dewpoint. Definitely sunlight hitting the lower portions and lighting it up really well.
A very few rare times I've seen virga falling followed by a couple thousand feet of clear air below it then after a few minutes, fog bordering on rain form within a thousand feet of the ground and progress down to the surface as the dewpoint is exceeded. Really really weird looking. Your picture reminds me of that.

P.S. Those kind of pictures keep pushing me more and more toward AK early instead of staying down here for the next couple years. It's only 3300 miles and my jeep can make that easy and I'm about to move elsewhere anyway...

Last edited:
Pilawt said:
We bought a flightseeing ride in one of Talkeetna Air Taxi's C-185's in August 2003. We lucked out with perfect weather and smooth air. Here are a couple of the photos ...[font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][font=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
Wow those are awesome! Someday I'll take pictures like that. For now, I'm still in stay-away-from-the-pointy-things, gosh-this-aint-New-England-anymore, not-sure-if-a-150-can-even-go-that-high mode. :D

--Kath

deafsound said:
Post the moose! Post the Moose!:yes:
Okay:
Took this one recently (from the ground):

OMG you got close. Those things can stomp you to death. You are brave. You have a bigger bean bag then I do, thats for sure.

I love the moose!:yes:
Wouldn't have gotten that close either!:no:
Now it's on my desktop!:yes:

Those are great, Kath. Since Alaska is really where I want to be right now, I have to admit to some fat green tears of envy!

Just gorgeous!

terry

Back