Picking up the Minnesota Missile

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
On Friday 6/22 we're flying to KBDH Willmar Municipal, about 60 nm west of Minneapolis to spend a couple days while my buddy gets checked out in his 89' Mooney.

Any recomendations for the area or POA members near by and up for a visit?

Considering KCWI in Clinton, Iowa for the antique fly in on Saturday.

Gary Gembala

On Friday 6/22 we're flying to KBDH Willmar Municipal, about 60 nm west of Minneapolis to spend a couple days while my buddy gets checked out in his 89' Mooney.

Gary Gembala

Clinton usually has the cheapest AVGas in eastern IA area.

Gary Gembala

Lance Fisher and I are in the Minneapolis area. How many days are you going to be there?

I am busy on Saturday and Sunday but would have time on Friday to meet up. Although now that I think about it my flying budget is $0 until Oshkosh.. So, unless you want to stop somewhere in Minneapolis on Friday, I'll have to catch you another time.

Gary Gembala

Chances are that I'll be at the Hutchinson airport most of Friday AM putting new propellers on my airplane. That's about 30 nm from Willmar so c'mon over!

Our approach from the south east takes us just about over KCHD. We'll be in the Trinidad over your airspace approx 20Z. Flight physical that morning.

Our approach from the south east takes us just about over KCHD. We'll be in the Trinidad over your airspace approx 20Z. Flight physical that morning.

Assuming you're talking about tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, hopefully, I'll be on my way to Ada OK by then, but that's assuming things go well. My cellphone # is (612) 867-4102. Call me when you land if you want in case I'm still there. OTOH if you meant this afternoon, I expect to show up at HCD around 4 or 4:30 and will be there for a while.

Plans changed to 10Z Saturday departure, thanks for the offer.

Great Trip to Willmar Municipal. Better have a current database, KBDH replaced the previous identifier, "KILL" when they moved the airport about 6 miles.

Took the route through Michigan and over the lake as the southern route through Indana and around Chicage had foul weather. Still found some low ceilings, 800 ft around Minneapolis, and had to divert to Owatonna, MN where we met Roy Redman from "Rare Aircraft"

Roy and his team specialize in rebuilding Waco Aircraft. Had a great tour of the work shop, where they are currently working on a Waco, Great Lakes Trainer, Waco Cabin Class, and a Stinson. Great bunch of aviation enthusiasts.

Finally arrived at Willmar and there she was, a true beauty. The team at Willmar Air Service did the inspection and repairs and now she's ready to come home to Ohio. I flew to nearby Marshall (KMML) to pick up the CFI to sign off Tom for insurances.

Tom and I depart, a flight of two, for Ohio at 21 Z (approx 700nm). Back to Green Bay, across the lake, down through Michigan to my favorite 1G1, 4.9 hrs and a night landing.

Total flight time 11.5 and a friend has his new airplane, what a great day!

Gary

Attachments

• mooney_0006a.jpg
    mooney_0006a.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
  • mooney_0014.jpg
    mooney_0014.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12
  • mooney_0027.jpg
    mooney_0027.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
  • mooney_0042.jpg
    mooney_0042.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 12
  • mooney_0051.jpg
    mooney_0051.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 10
  • mooney_0059.jpg
    mooney_0059.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 10
  • mooney_0052.jpg
    mooney_0052.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 6
  • mooney_0083.jpg
    mooney_0083.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
redman was the one who did the AOPA Waco. very cool stuff happening up there at Owatonna.

Back