PIC question.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Can a PP SEL w/o a high performance endorsement log PIC time flying with another PP who owns the plane? (C-182):dunno:

Dean said:
Can a PP SEL w/o a high performance endorsement log PIC time flying with another PP who owns the plane? (C-182):dunno:

Yes, as sole manipulator of the controls. 61.51(e). Provided the other PP is able to act as legal PIC.

But keep in mind, unless two crew members are required (ie: one under the hood, the other as safety pilot), only one pliot may log PIC. Which means, if you're logging as sole manipulator, even though the other pilot MUST act as PIC (you are forbidden to act as PIC without the endorsement) he does not get to log as PIC. Yet he is legally responsible for the flight.

Greg Bockelman said:
Yes, as sole manipulator of the controls. 61.51(e). Provided the other PP is able to act as legal PIC.

What is a logging PIC question if not a nit picking event? In that vein:

The conditional portion of the reply quoted above is irrelevant with respect to the question asked (logging PIC); the conditional portion is only relevant to legally acting as PIC. IOW, I may legally log PIC for time during which I was the sole manipulator of an aircraft for which I am rated, even if while during that period of time I was also apparently illegally acting as legal PIC. Double IOW, I could log PIC even if the other pilot was not present, much less present but unable to act as legal PIC. Might be a less than prudent idea to do so, but it would be a legal log entry.

I am also certain that Greg knew that and merely slipped a few connecting phrases.

Back