PIC After a LONG Break - Hire Me!

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
It was just 8 months ago that I posted on Facebook...asking my friends, "Should return to aviation after a 41 year break?" Their answer, "Yes!"

Now, I'm in trouble. Given a choice, I'd be up every day. In 1972, I got my PPL at 60 hours and then stopped. Now, in 8 months, I'm at 170 hours and climbing fast. I'm current and checked out in Cherokee, Saratoga, 172, 182, SR20, and SR22.

If anyone told me a year ago I'd be here today, I would have told them they were nuts!

Right around the corner are IFR and Multi.

So what's the dilemma? I'm always happiest when I follow my passions. But I'm wondering...are there ANY career options for a fast-learning, passionate 59 year old pilot?

Seriously. CFI? Ground School (used to be a teacher)? Tour Operator? FBO Owner (have an MBA)?

I don't care much about money, as I've done well over the years.

Any advice out there? (I'm assuming airlines are out, given my age?). Thanks, all!

(For those who are interested, here's an Internet Radio interview with my story - http://www.planeviz.com/flying-again-after-a-40-year-break-bob-eicholz/ )

My CFI is over 70 and a great guy. He flies almost every day… usually several times a day.

Agree with the CFI gig.

Plus with your passion, once you get your CPL, you might uncover various worthwhile opportunities, including ferry flights, photography surveys, and others. Check in with DavidWhite about what's possible. He shares the same passion as you and was able to get into a good flying gig doing some sort of survey work.

CFI is almost mandatory :p

You could try starting a flight school or club which will simultaneously give you more options for flying, more of a hand in aviation, and give you a opportunity to get and use your CFI rating.

Seems like doing CFI is a no brainer if you enjoy that sort of thing. And I'm not far away from your exact story so I want to know the out come.. Keep us posted =)

Something one of the guys at my local FBO was chatting about was starting a flight school that specializes in a specific plane.. (I over heard this, wasn't part of the conversation so might have misunderstood..)

I think he was talking about being a Cirrus specific flight school so that he could take students from zero hours to trained in an SR20. (He said "in a Cirrus" but I think he owns the SR20 at the field..)

Another guy at the field thought it was a terrible idea implying that the Cirrus isn't a good choice for new pilots but thought a Cessna or Diamond would be a better choice. Either way, maybe that sort of specialized start to finish school could do well?

I would think that buying a Cirrus just to train in might be quite the hit in the wallet, but if money is no object why not?!

Maybe look around your area and see what plane specific training is unavailable and fill that need?

CFI and other doors will open. Be careful you don't turn flying into a job. Works for some people, ruins hobbies for others.

Definitely pursue the CFI. There's still a need for those of us who teach out of a passion for flying and teaching rather than hour-building. You'll love it!

-Loren

CFI and other doors will open. Be careful you don't turn flying into a job. Works for some people, ruins hobbies for others.

Turning your hobby into your career was best/worst thing I ever did. And as greg says, it has ruined my hobby.. hah Now it's a job.. bleh.

If money is not an issue, why not just buy yourself a nice traveling airplane and do just that? Keep pursuing your IFR, com., and CFI along with whatever else you would like to have, and start airport hopping and see where it takes you?

At your age, you might just stumble on something to do in aviation that you truly love doing just by bumming around different airports and FBOs, and meeting a load of nice people along the way.

-John

If money is not an issue, why not just buy yourself a nice traveling airplane and do just that? Keep pursuing your IFR, com., and CFI along with whatever else you would like to have, and start airport hopping and see where it takes you?

At your age, you might just stumble on something to do in aviation that you truly love doing just by bumming around different airports and FBOs, and meeting a load of nice people along the way.

-John

Agree

So what's the dilemma? I'm always happiest when I follow my passions. But I'm wondering...are there ANY career options for a fast-learning, passionate 59 year old pilot?
[...]
I don't care much about money, as I've done well over the years.

If you don't care about the money then I don't see why there should be a dilemma. Continue flying for fun. If you want your flying to have some meaning beyond fun, consider signing up for something like Angel Flight or some other air care group; many listed here:

http://www.aircareall.org/listings.htm

If money is something you don't want to admit is causing a dilemma, consider some oddball commercial gigs; one website that covers such things:

http://oddballpilot.com/

Competitive soaring and/or aerobatics will fill your days quite nicely. Soaring won't beat up your geezer body quite as much.

Bob, about all that's going to work for you is part 91 CFI. And it's a blast. BTDT now getting to 20 years now..... :) :)

Definitely do the CFI. Such an amazing, rewarding experience.

Back