phpMyAdmin

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Has anyone here installed it? I'm having configuration problems....

why didn't I go to law school like my mother told me to...?

not much...but a couple of times. it's always been pretty straight forward. What's it doing?

The install went fine. I opened the "index.php" file and got the login page - keeps telling me it's timed out talking to MySQL (error 2013). I'm convinced it's one of N configuration files, but I can't figure out which one - php, phpMyAdmin, or MySQL. I'm sure it's not the webserver (Apache). And MySQL works just fine from the command line, so I don't think that's the problem either. Somehow, phpMyAdmin is not finding something it needs. I just don't know what. Doing a search on 2013 shows that many, many people have had/currently have the same problem, but there's not a good explanation why it happens. And without the "why", I can't fix it.

that's actually a mysql error. It probably means that your mysql server is actually responding to phpmyadmin (which isn't a bad sign). What did you use for the host and the port in the phpmyadmin config? If you can create a login for me I can likely get it working. PM me if you're interested.

turns out it wasn't a mysql issue - phpMyAdmin (at least on my system) doesn't understand that 127.0.0.1 and localhost are equivalent, but obviously not identical....changed from the IP to the DNS and everything is fine.

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';

strange, really strange. Makes no sense but then, it's software, right?

Thanks for the offer, but the system is on a private network with no external access.

ok, too late for law school (and too expensive) but A&P school might be interesting.

turns out it wasn't a mysql issue - phpMyAdmin (at least on my system) doesn't understand that 127.0.0.1 and localhost are equivalent, but obviously not identical....changed from the IP to the DNS and everything is fine.

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';

strange, really strange. Makes no sense but then, it's software, right?

Thanks for the offer, but the system is on a private network with no external access.

ok, too late for law school (and too expensive) but A&P school might be interesting.

Actually that has nothing to do with phpmyadmin. To MySQL localhost and 127.0.0.1 are two entirely different things. If your user is setup in MySQL to allow connection from localhost (like it probably is) than 127.0.0.1 won't work and vice versa.

The MySQL Client / Server will use local unix sockets if you connect with localhost.

Actually that has nothing to do with phpmyadmin. To MySQL localhost and 127.0.0.1 are two entirely different things. If your user is setup in MySQL to allow connection from localhost (like it probably is) than 127.0.0.1 won't work and vice versa.

The MySQL Client / Server will use local unix sockets if you connect with localhost.

What Jesse said.

If you connect to mysql and issue the following three commands. You'll see what hosts are authorized to connect.

use mysql;
select host from user;
select host from db;

In most cases you'd be correct in that localhost and 127.0.0.1 would be synonymous. That's not the case with mysql.

learn somthing new everyday....what can I say? I'm a unix/oracle geek, and mysql at the command line. Using pma is entirely new to me.

an alternative to the sql statements:

select user, host from mysql.users;

works great.

Back