Photoshop THIS

gibbons said:
I suspected it was Photoshopped. They won't be calling me as an expert witness.

As did most of us. That is a fantastic video.

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:
Did you manage to find a videa of those guys water skiing their T-6's? Can't watch the wmv file at work.
Frank,
Yes. I'd email it to you but it's big.

Watching the birds fly past the camera as those guys are doing that made me think...can you imagine what would happen if they had a bird strike as they were skiing on the water like that? :hairraise:

gibbons said:
Frank,
Yes. I'd email it to you but it's big.

Thanks Chip. I can watch it when I get home. I'll probably copy it to CD and bring it to work. They put Windows Media Player on my mac here and they don't seem to mind people bringing in videos, but not over the net. ;)

gibbons said:
Remember the thread with the T6's (OK, Harvards) appearing to be skiing?
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5873

I suspected it was Photoshopped. They won't be calling me as an expert witness.

http://www.flightzone.co.za/media/harvards.wmv

Chip

After they practice & get good, it should be gear up and water ski the tailwheels in slow flight.

What they're doing now isn't as scary as single aircraft step turns to me. Those things always give me the willies!

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
After they practice & get good, it should be gear up and water ski the tailwheels in slow flight.

What they're doing now isn't as scary as single aircraft step turns to me. Those things always give me the willies!
What are single aircraft step turns?

(worried now that I should know this already and don't...)

etsisk said:
What are single aircraft step turns?

(worried now that I should know this already and don't...)

I am trying to say a single aircraft as opposed to the formation of them in the original posting. Now formation step turns -THAT would be difficult AND scary.

Ok, let me break it down even more, then! :D

What's a step turn? Of any variety? Is this something that is related to the whole seaplane thing? I remember seeing the term step-taxi or something similar . . .

etsisk said:
Ok, let me break it down even more, then! :D

What's a step turn? Of any variety? Is this something that is related to the whole seaplane thing? I remember seeing the term step-taxi or something similar . . .

Step taxis aren't bad, just straight and fast with little if any turning. Up on the step turns, which I found myself doing in private training, consisted of wild bouncing and turning just as sharply as the Stinson float plane's high CG and the nerves of the operators will allow at speeds just under takeoff.
I asked,
"What is this good for?"

CFI:
"If you're down on a small pond and the water gets glassy, you can do these in figure 8s and roughen up the water enough to takeoff!"

"Ah yes, of course!"

They were very scary. The reason they were very scary is because they're dangerous. One doesn't want those bouncing, banking wingtips onto the water. I've never done them again to that degree of sharpness and bouncing and hope I don't ever feel the need to make that many waves on a small piece of water.

Last edited:
Back