Photo manipulation in Plane & Pilot mag

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
What a crock. Pick up a copy of Plane & Pilot, turn to page 34-35 and tell me I'm not seeing things. The new glass panel Symphony 160 is half focused, half out of focus? Hello? What kind of crap is this?

The PFD, MFD, AI and radio stack all appear to be nicely focused, ala marketing photos pasted on to a blown up photo of a panel. Did they actually think someone wasn't going to notice this?

On another note, a whole article devoted to saving fuel talks about 100LL and different techniques for reducing fuel costs. A valiant effort on their part. The only problem is that the open cowling shown on page 58 from a plane called "Don's Idea" is a modified Luscombe (I think or something similar) that is actually a turbine engine.

This magazine needs a better editor than one worried about whether or not he needs plastic surgery (in his column). Sheesh.

Iceman said:
Dave do you have a larger picture file of that mooney?

yikes, that is below the belt!!!

(what is the icon for 'feigned indignance'?)

Thanks joe...obiviously I've mistaken the above plane with one that would still be airworthy...jk

IM
here is where I got the picture. Tom is very generous and with permission will let you use almost anything in there I bet

www.bellancaviking.com

The pic is in Plainview Tx about the time when disco had just started and hippies were fading away, taken at the premier Viking dealer of the south I am told.

Brian Austin said:
What a crock. Pick up a copy of Plane & Pilot, turn to page 34-35 and tell me I'm not seeing things. The new glass panel Symphony 160 is half focused, half out of focus? Hello? What kind of crap is this?

The PFD, MFD, AI and radio stack all appear to be nicely focused, ala marketing photos pasted on to a blown up photo of a panel. Did they actually think someone wasn't going to notice this?

On another note, a whole article devoted to saving fuel talks about 100LL and different techniques for reducing fuel costs. A valiant effort on their part. The only problem is that the open cowling shown on page 58 from a plane called "Don's Idea" is a modified Luscombe (I think or something similar) that is actually a turbine engine.

This magazine needs a better editor than one worried about whether or not he needs plastic surgery (in his column). Sheesh.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I have noticed a lot of PS action in most of the photos used in the flying magazines. However, I really enjoy reading about aviation in all forms and can look past those discrepancies. I find similar problems with car manazines etc..

Let'sgoflying! said:
IM
here is where I got the picture. Tom is very generous and with permission will let you use almost anything in there I bet

www.bellancaviking.com

The pic is in Plainview Tx about the time when disco had just started and hippies were fading away, taken at the premier Viking dealer of the south I am told.

Thanks a lot for the link! I learn something new every day (wood wing viking)

:happydance:

1969 Bellanca Turbo Viking 17-31TC:

Engine: Lycoming TSIO-540; 290 hp
Empty weight........................2,010 lbs.
Useful load............................1,315 lbs.
Gross weight.........................3,325 lbs.
Power loading...................11.5 lbs./hp
Takeoff distance........................445 ft.
Rate of climb.......................1,950 fpm
Service ceiling......................25,000 ft.
Maximum speed.....................245 mph
Cruise speed (75%)...............235 mph
Range (at max cruise)...........1,150 sm
Stall speed (gear, flaps down)..65 mph
Landing distance.........................550 ft.

:eek:

Let's go, baby!!

"17-30
17-31
17-31turbo.....
General Aviation's Best Kept Secret!"

hey I am getting ideas for my new Avatar......

Iceman said:
I agree with a lot of what you said. I have noticed a lot of PS action in most of the photos used in the flying magazines. However, I really enjoy reading about aviation in all forms and can look past those discrepancies. I find similar problems with car manazines etc..
Well, who's to say the author even flew one?

If he's flown a Symphony 160 or has read a few articles on it and has flown an Avidyne equipped plane, he could make the entire thing up. There are no photos showing a pilot in front of a glass equipped Symphony panel. Aside from a blurb in the News section on Symphony's website, the whole "glass panel" thing isn't even mentioned, including both of their sales office sites. This is just weird.

A little more digging...

I cannot find a photo of the Avidyne system installed in a Symphony 160 anywhere on the web. Google "symphony 160 avidyne" and you'll get two pages of press releases in addition to P&P article. But nothing showing the actual panel or anything about certification completion.

Let'sgoflying! said:
IM
www.bellancaviking.com

Ooooh wood wings! Are they safe??? :rolleyes:

I'd sure like to fly one. Love the way they look.

larrysb said:
Ooooh wood wings! Are they safe???

The photo was actually taken in order to try to help bust that myth. (I saw your 'rolleyes'.)

:yes: "Wood Is Good" :yes:

:no: ever hear of Wood Fatigue? intergranular corrosion of wood? :no:
There are whole books out there on how metal can let you down.

Let'sgoflying! said:
:yes: "Wood Is Good" :yes:

:no: ever hear of Wood Fatigue? intergranular corrosion of wood? :no:
There are whole books out there on how metal can let you down.

Reminds me of some of the ladders used back on the farm.
Wood ladders would be solid forever or slightly longer, then eventually start to creak and groan and show signs of trouble, then eventually they'd fail if you didn't do something about it.
OTOH Aluminum ladders would look perfectly ok and the next thing you know, without warning, you're laying on your back on the ground unable to breathe.

From the site you posted:
The experts gave me 15 days to live. But this was hopeful for it gave me the impression they thought the machine could get off the ground. - GIUSEPPE BELLANCA

OMG!! Oh brave new world with such people in it...

Brian Austin said:
I cannot find a photo of the Avidyne system installed in a Symphony 160 anywhere on the web.
Such a photo could have been taken at Sun n Fun, however, as the airplane was there.

I won't even pick up a P&P. Utter crap, I don't want it polluting my mind.

Another is Air & Space. So many factual errors...ever notice how every issue has multiple letters explaining how the mag made yet another error in previous issues? And this is the Smithsonian!

Let'sgoflying! said:
ever hear of Wood Fatigue? intergranular corrosion of wood? there are whole books out there on how metal can let you down.

Next time you are flying over Albany (ALB ) stop in and take the van over to the Desmond Hotel. The roof of the courtyard at the Desmond is supported by enormous wood trusses. I was peripherally involved with the construction of that hotel, and it took about 8 months to get the building inspectors to issue a permit. They were concerned about the load carrying endurance of the wood in a fire. Finally they accepted the data that the wood would be far stronger far longer than metal girders in a disasterous fire. Wood is good!

-Skip

Back