Phantom ultralight

Acrodustertoo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Buford T. Justice
while I am building my Acroduster Too I am wanting something to play around with. I have been wanting to buy a phantom ul for a few years now. Anyone here have any experience with them? Any comments or suggestions?
For those of you with an urge to see what I am talking about, here you go:
http://phantomaero.com/
phantomV02.JPG

Looks extra sketchy

Not a fan of king posts, but I am a fan of ultralights. I've had my share of fun in them.

I would love to have an ultralight or LSA. I know I'm not answering your question but if you buy one you can keep it at my house. I'll make a grass strip. ;)

Not a fan of king posts, but I am a fan of ultralights. I've had my share of fun in them.
They make a strut braced version. Looks cleaner and you font lose any strength. They are very rare on the market.

How so? They are aerobatic, +6 -4 G's.
For an UL they are pretty well up there with the best.

Idk never flown in one of those things...they just look nuts to me lol...how do you even learn to fly one of those?

Idk never flown in one of those things...they just look nuts to me lol...how do you even learn to fly one of those?
They make two seat UL's, now called lsa.
I understand your apprehension. There are many that are pretty sketchy but the phantoms and their clone, the hurricane, are very well built and very strong.
I think they look like a blast and a wonderful flying experience.

They make two seat UL's, now called lsa.
I understand your apprehension. There are many that are pretty sketchy but the phantoms and their clone, the hurricane, are very well built and very strong.
I think they look like a blast and a wonderful flying experience.

Yea I am sure its fun...guess as long as your not flying on a real windy day it would be nice!

Two ways to learn:

Traditional method is to learn on the hills with an instructor, that's what I did. You start running down a small shallow hill, and fly for maybe 5 seconds at a time. Learn to launch, learn to land. Where I learned it was a 65ft hill. Then you move on to the big hill, 125ft tall, with a steeper face. Learn to turn, maneuver, and land. Then when ready you go to the mountain, about 1400ft tall. That one takes a big swallow and a bit of a leap of faith the first time.

Small hill:

lookout-mountain-hang.jpg

Big hill:

maxresdefault.jpg

Then off the mountain you go:

julie-launch-2.jpg

Second method is aerotow, fly tandem with an instructor on a larger glider with wheels. It is towed behind a Dragonfly, a specialized UL designed to tow gliders. After you're good enough, you solo. I recently got my aerotow rating and can now fly on days when the wind at launch isn't favorable.

hang-gliding-instruction.preview.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

It's a blast, very quiet and peaceful. Now I'm trying to learn to thermal to extend my flights.

https://www.ushpa.org/page/learn-to-fly-overview

Last edited:
Hey, I know where that is! (My sister lives on Signal Mountain, and my parents live in South Pittsburg). :)

Wow that is pretty cool...how much do those hang gliders cost? I suppose it is a wide range depending on what you get. Looks like fun. There are hang gliding ramps out at Seven Springs at the "radome" here in Arizona. Looks like a beautiful spot to hang glide (out towards Horseshoe Lake/Bartlett Lake).

Maybe I should start another hobby hehe

Looks like there is a good hang gliding club here in AZ...may have to check it out sometime.

Last edited:
..how much do those hang gliders cost?

Glider: $2k-$5k for a beginner wing depending on new or used.
Harness: $500-900 again depending on new or used
Helmet: Any good bike rated helmet will do to begin.

About lessons, all schools include equipment as part of the lessons package, IE, you fly school equipment during your training. You don't even begin to think about buying your own until you're very near the end of training.

Yea I am sure its fun...guess as long as your not flying on a real windy day it would be nice!
Yeah that is one concern. The UL part 103 is one of the greatest things about 'Murica. No license, no fees, no BS. If it weighs less that 258lbs then you are good to go.
You are limited to 5 gallons of fuel and a max cruise of 65 I believe. They are just for fun and poking holes in the sky. They are not meant to be transport machines or family fun haulers. Just so you can get up and putter around.

Yeah that is one concern. The UL part 103 is one of the greatest things about 'Murica. No license, no fees, no BS. If it weighs less that 258lbs then you are good to go.
You are limited to 5 gallons of fuel and a max cruise of 65 I believe. They are just for fun and poking holes in the sky. They are not meant to be transport machines or family fun haulers. Just so you can get up and putter around.

Do you buzz the local kids on the playground? Just kidding ;p

Do you buzz the local kids on the playground? Just kidding ;p
Are you nuts! Kids don't play outside anymore! Parents can be prosecuted for having their children out in the sunlight, fresh air and using their imagination! That is just inconceivable!

Are you nuts! Kids don't play outside anymore! Parents can be prosecuted for having their children out in the sunlight, fresh air and using their imagination! That is just inconceivable!

Hahaha they are probably in their safe zone!

Back