Personality traits

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
A thread started by Ron over on the red board about pilot personalities and how that influences their , er...ability to accept authority got me thinking.

Lately I have been reintroduced to personality traits testing in the form of Meyers Briggs as well as DISC. I'm curious if pilots tend to be grouped into certain M/B categories as compared to the general population.

For example, I am either a ENTJ or a ENTP depending on which test I take and when I take it. A "field marshal."

Here is a free Meyers Brigg Type Indicator analysis if you don't know what yours is.

And I came across this a couple of weeks ago - a new spin on describing what your indicator might mean :D

Of course the danger is this might just show what people who tend to post to web forums are like, instead of pilots :rolleyes:

Retracted so Kent can't get PO'd over an exchanged where Richard and I previously stated words of razzing in humor.

(Just joshin' ya!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kent - I appreciate it but you weren't aware of some good-natured joshing on another thread that spilled over here. Anyway, an interesting exercise in personality traits already!

So back to the regularly scheduled program...

One site suggest that ISTP's make the best pilots. Or really any **TP's.

Thanks Kent - I appreciate it but you weren't aware of some good-natured joshing on another thread that spilled over here.

Richard,

I'm glad to hear that anyway, but this isn't exactly the first time... I wouldn't have bothered if it were. (What thread? Musta been in Spin Zone.)

Anyway, an interesting exercise in personality traits already!

Dang, ya caught me. ;)

Richard,

I'm glad to hear that anyway, but this isn't exactly the first time... I wouldn't have bothered if it were. (What thread? Musta been in Spin Zone.)
Not the first time? Kent, I sent a private message. You didn't respond. Now, you state there were other times, issues, etc. Would you care to enumerate these events? I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but if you have issues with me, you need to state them TO ME.

As far as how I feel about a few things said on here, I've stated as much to those people in either the thread as applied or if it comes up in the chat room. I've about given up on the chat room. If you don't know why, you've not paid attention. Perhaps a few others can tell you. There's obviously more said than I'm aware of.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a dumb@$$ pilot trying to do the right thing and make it through a process in my area with rules established by the school I fly out of and deal with the expected practices of those reviewing my performance and determine whether I meet the PTS for a specific ticket. Now, if the issues I face out of a FSDO here don't match those faced in other areas of the country, take that up with the FAA. Not every region is the same, not every FSDO is the same. And, the DE with a PTS in his/her hand is not completely objective. They all have their pet peeves that are comparable to the special emphasis areas but something they've determined by their own observations. We already know it's different with different schools. Should I move to another area, I'll come across something different I'm sure.

But regardless, I'll stop arguing safety and you and others can stay off my rear. And, I'll stay away from Gaston's and other gatherings. Obviously, I won't fit in since I've not adopted the "whatever" mentality in regard to flying.

Good day.

Richard, my apologies for the hi-jack.

INFP / INFJ here, depending on what day I take the test. Either way I'm fairly rare. :/

ISTJ here

I'm coming up as a ISTJ... go figure!

No P! :)

http://www.xeromag.com/fun/personality.html ;)

[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ISTJ[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]: The Thought Police[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ISTJs are characterized by loyalty, duty, and civic responsibility. As an ISTJ, you have a natural understanding of the value of civil harmony and order, and a deep-seated dislike of non-conformity, anarchy, and chaos.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]For an ISTJ, work is very important to a sense of self-satisfaction. Happiness comes most easily for you when you have a job that allows you to express your ethic. Whether it's blasting traitorous rebel scum as a proud Imperial Stormtrooper or monitoring the population's cerebral implants searching for evidence of unauthorized thought patterns as one of the Thought Police, you're most satisfied when you are crushing the population beneath the iron boot heel of oppression on behalf of your masters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]RECREATION; ISTJs approach leisure with the same dedication they bring to spreading tyrrany and oppression. Common ISTJ pasttimes include cleaning their rifles, improving their marksmanship, betting on political dissidents in the Gladiator Arena, and macrame.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]COMPATIBILITY: ISTJs are capable of stong emotional connections, bonding closely with the other ISTJs in their unit, platoon, or sector.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Famous ISTJs include TK-421, Torquemada, and Yuri Andropov.[/FONT]

I'm ISFP but I think I'm partialy ISFJ too. What does that stand for anyways?

ENTP for me

Detailed profile for the ENTP

Credo
“No, let me explain…”
The ENTP is very closely attuned to their surroundings and constantly on the lookout for opportunities and possibilities which will feed their strong desire for something new. An ENTP will be like a breath of fresh air, infusing people and projects with a whole array of new ideas and creative ways of doing things. However, they can become bored, withdraw their energies as they go off in search of the next 'fix.'
ENTPs love telling conceptual stories. They will often go off at tangents, weaving apparently contrary pieces of information into a conceptual whole, bringing others in and teaching them in the process. Curious, communicative and challenging, the ENTP loves intellectual debate, is spontaneous, (at times shockingly so), and assertive.
These characteristics also mean the ENTP can be intellectually promiscuous, enjoying one new sensation after another, one new idea after another and constantly looking for bigger and better things. They are also better at the 'front end' of projects and may lose interest once the initial fascination has passed. The ENTP is expedient, will disregard rules, regulations and obligations and follow their own instincts and urges.
The upside of this is the ability to bring whole new perspectives and ways of looking at things. The downside is that they may leave loose ends, and lack follow-through. The ENTP's independent streak make them excellent at challenging the status quo, self-decedption and self-delusion, but this challenging can, at times, become critical or negative if the ENTP becomes bored or feels stultified or threatened.
An ENTP will be interested in most things, excellent at reading people and situations and possess a wide range of views, interests and knowledge. This may, of course, be at the expense of depth, in that the ENTP will want to quickly move on to new pursuits, often before 'completing the course.' They are unconventional, sporadic, work with amazing bursts of energy with an enthusiasm which can be almost tangible. Once they become bored, however, they will be ready to move on.
In a team situation the ENTP will have a radical perspective, looking at newer, better and more interesting ways of doing things. Not for the ENTP the routine of historical convention, but instead fresh new solutions, a healthy challenge to the status quo and risk-taking experimentation.
ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love the craic, to argue and engage in robust discussions often for its own sake, and to demonstrate their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humour as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of debate argument simply as a ‘sport.’
ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving and verbal gymnastics, as they are bored with the routine, the detail and the ‘this has been done before.’ Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of ‘toys,’ physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.
ENTPs are excitable and this excitement is very often contagious. They have ‘the gift of the gab,’ and are at ease in social situations, winning people over and can adapt to any level and any conversation - if it interests them. They are generally confident and possess the ability to look far beyond the present, the mundane, the facts (and the horizon!) However their very inferior sensing function, and dislike of closure, often means that their dream, aspirations and ideas may come to nothing as they lack the propensity for follow through and the attention to detail required to ‘complete.’
Another reason why ENTPs find it difficult to keep on track is that their boredom threshold is so low that before the project is up and running they are thinking about the next one. They also hate commitment and feeling ‘shut in,’ and so they look for easy escape routes and will take one if things become stultifying. For the ENTP the chase is the prize and they will be long gone before it gets too serious. Beside there’s another great idea looming just over there…!
Verbally quick and incisive the ENTP has a great gift for language, and is clever with words and is happy to demonstrate this an aspect of the ENTP character which can alienate them over time if they fail to follow through on their commitments - especially to those whom they have invited close. If the ENTP ‘flies too many kites,’ then others can begin to at best see them as dreamers and at worst mistrust them.
This does of course make the ENTP very flexible and they have the ability to change tack in a nano-second much to the consternation of those following, who ask ‘but I thought we were going in that direction?’ Rules are there to be (gently but firmly) bent; they like to get their own way and will happily rationalise, intellectualise and build a sophisticated and Cartesian argument to prove they were right. Of course next week they may change their minds because ‘right’ for the ENTP is about what is right for ‘now.’
The ENTP is often confused with the ENFP because of their people skills and ability to charm, cajole, persuade and get what they want from others. However in the cold light of day the ENTP displays the ‘T’ characteristic and will be pragmatic decision-makers using only empirical data, evidence and logic to decide, again maybe to the surprise of those who believe the ENTP to be basically a ‘people-person.’ Sure they are, but decisions are based on evidence not emotion.
Curious, child-like wonder characterises the ENTP, they are flexible, open-minded and love possibilities. They tend to see everything as a challenge, seeing opportunities even in the most difficult of circumstances. The desire to ‘keep the plates spinning,’ and explore as many options as possible means that the ENTP may be too slow to get to closure or make the call and this can work against them in actually getting things done. Being an ENTP they tend to be shrewd enough to realise their failings and they do have the ability to do something about it - but only if they choose!
ENTPs are basically optimists, and major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determination. But smaller, less significant issues can really get to them and see them becoming scratchy and impatient. ENTPs can at times display impatience with those whom they consider wrong or less intelligent, and will on occasions show little restraint in demonstrating this. However, there is an enjoining, charming quality to the ENTP, which is generally sustained even when life is providing them with more than enough ‘challenges.’
In terms of their relationships with others, ENTPs are capable of bonding very closely and quickly. ENTPs are also good at acquiring friends who are as clever and entertaining as they are. ENTPs are nothing if not unique. Making, discovering and developing connections between and among two or more of anything is virtually automatic. ENTPs are in the business of change, improvement, and radical experimentation.
The role of the Thinking function is to provide logic, focus and direction to intuition’s free spirit. Ultimately Thinking will eventually be overcome by the higher plane of intuition but it can and does provide some structure when necessary. Intuition is just soooo dominant that we can imagine it functioning intact during sleep, joining patterns and ideas.
Some Famous ENTPs:
  • John Cleese
  • Jamie Lee Curtis
  • John Candy
  • Bill Cosby
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Mozart
  • Bugs Bunny
Hey me and Bugs. Excellent company!!

bugs-bunny-framed.jpg

Last edited:
INTJ - Seems to be typical for the Engineers in my company. We are either introverted (INTJ) or extroverted (ENTJ), but all seem to be *NTJ.

[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ESTP[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]: The Conman[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]As an ESTP, you are driven to succeed and to win. Your personality is dominated by your drive to test yourself and to triumph over your fellow man.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]This generally expresses itself as an overwhelming urge to prove your self worth (and fatten your wallet) by taking advantage of the suckers, marks, and dupes who surround you--after all, isn't that what they're there for? It's not your fault that their stupidity and gullibility lets them believe you when you say that Hershey's Kissesses exposed to your patented psychic amplifier rays will let them fly! As your hero and fellow ESTP, P. T. Barnum, once said, "it is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money."[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]As an ESTP, your greatest fear is failure. Under no circumstances will you permit yourself that kind of weakness, which makes you ideally suited for a job at Enron, where your natural talents can be recognized and rewarded.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]RECREATION: ESTPs enjoy recreational activities such as card sharking, pool sharking, and conning little old women out of their lives' savings. They're often fond of polo as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Famous ESTPs include P. T. Barnum and DR. PETER OKOYE, SON OF THE LATE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA M. B. OKOYE, WHO REQUESTS YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE IN HELPING TO TRANSFER $150,000,000 (THE SUM OF ONE HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION USD) INTO YOUR U.S. BANK ACCOUNT SO THAT IT MAY BE DISTRIBUTED TO NEEDY CHILDREN, IN GOD'S CHARITY.[/FONT]

Yep, ISTJ. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. But, it's always good to see if I'm changing :dunno:
Unlike Scott who gets Bugs, I'm stuck with Eeyore.

Last edited:
INTJ - Seems to be typical for the Engineers in my company. We are either introverted (INTJ) or extroverted (ENTJ), but all seem to be *NTJ.

I thought an Extroverted engineer was one who looked at other peoples shoes.

ISTJ or ENTJ depending on test and mood. The TJ is always strong, though.

I took the test pretty quickly and came up as an ISFP

[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ISFP[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]: The Crackpot[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ISFP personalities are characterized by their impulsiveness, their defiance of conformity and orthodoxy, and their competitive natures. Taken together, these traits make up the ideal crackpot. While an ISFP's personality might seem flighty and their attention span short to an outsider, ISFPs live by the motto "Life is best approach--oh, look, potato chips!"[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]ISFPs are always on the cutting edge of new trends. Whether it's podcasting, taking up guitar, or running away to a far-off east African compound and joining a doomsday apocalyptic cult, ISFPs are always following their hearts and quickly embracing new ideas. However, they tend to be fleeting in their passions, which means they often may lack the dedication that marks a true cultist. While ISFPs often lack the dedication most people give to careers and family, they can still support themselves in more unorthodox ways, like by selling blood plasma, turning tricks, and mooching off their family.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]RECREATION: ISFPs enjoy activities that cater to their emotional passions, and often pursue many hobbies, such as music, painting, sculpting, and running off to Vegas to marry that cute waitress from Mack's Truck Stop over on Route 9. Whenever God speaks to someone, it's usually an ISFP.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]COMPATIBILITY: ISFPs do well in relationships with ISFJs and with anyone they meet in Las Vegas.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Famous ISFPs include Joan of Arc and--oh, look, potato chips!

Edit: that doesn't really describe me at all.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

I am an engineer and am ENTP. But them I am also in demand because I can talk to customers and business people. I wonder if that the 'P' is the reason I do that so well?

I am an engineer and am ENTP. But them I am also in demand because I can talk to customers and business people. I wonder if that the 'P' is the reason I do that so well?

I'm an engineer, ISTJ or ENTJ depending on test and mood, but I do well talking with customers. While I do well at it, it is extremely draining, and I need some quiet downtime afterwards to recharge.

I took the test pretty quickly and came up as an ISFP

[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]
Edit: that doesn't really describe me at all.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Try taking it and doing it slowly and thinking about the answers. When you rush and say what sounds good vs whats really you, you get bad results.

INFP / INFJ here, depending on what day I take the test. Either way I'm fairly rare. :/

Dare I posit that a "test" that produces different answers on different days is no "test" at all?

Today I am an ESTP

Last edited:
ESTJ

ESTJ's are practical, realistic, and matter-of-fact, with a natural head for business or mechanics. Though they are not interested in subjects they see no use for, they can apply themselves when necessary. They like to organize and run activities. ESTJ's make good administrators, especially if they remember to consider others' feelings and points of view, which they often miss.

Dare I posit that a "test" that produces different answers on different days is no "test" at all?

Today I am and ESTP
I might counter with the test perhaps reflects our personality and mood of the day, and perhaps repeating the test over time and averaging the results may indicate our true personality most accurately?

today "HellOfaNiceGuy" tomorrow "CrotchetyOldBa$tard"

..., but I do well talking with customers. While I do well at it, it is extremely draining, and I need some quiet downtime afterwards to recharge.
Bingo. I have a lot of customer contact and even though I am introverted I do have a lot of knowledge and credibility, but not always something I enjoy. Down time is very important.

I might counter with the test perhaps reflects our personality and mood of the day, and perhaps repeating the test over time and averaging the results may indicate our true personality most accurately?

today "HellOfaNiceGuy" tomorrow "CrotchetyOldBa$tard"

Good point! I'd try it, but we "P's" get bored quickly. ;)

I was an ISTJ when I took the test during Integrated Product Team training at work ten years ago. Probably still am.

But then, what do I know? I'm just a dumb@$$ pilot trying to do the right thing and make it through a process in my area with rules established by the school I fly out of and deal with the expected practices of those reviewing my performance and determine whether I meet the PTS for a specific ticket. Now, if the issues I face out of a FSDO here don't match those faced in other areas of the country, take that up with the FAA. Not every region is the same, not every FSDO is the same. And, the DE with a PTS in his/her hand is not completely objective. They all have their pet peeves that are comparable to the special emphasis areas but something they've determined by their own observations. We already know it's different with different schools. Should I move to another area, I'll come across something different I'm sure.

Wow, dude. Take a deep breath. Maybe a glass of water and a chill pill. :eek: Didn't have time to respond to your PM yet, as when you sent it last night we were coming into some pretty heavy snow and 22G32 winds, so I had to take over from my trainee. But, I don't know where the above tirade came from. :dunno:

So back to the regularly scheduled program...

One site suggest that ISTP's make the best pilots. Or really any **TP's.

I'm borderline INTP and ENTP (about 50/50 on the E/I thing), but I guess I got the good pilot genes for the TP part.

The Real Meyers... said:
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]RECREATION: ENTPs enjoy recreational activities which challenge them physically and intellectually, such as water skiing and porting Linux to their iPods. They are also fond of collecting gadgets like combination cellpone/PDAs and orbiting arsenals of brain lasers, which they may port Linux to as well.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] ...as ENTPs they are prone to behaving in inconveniently erratic ways, which ****es ESFJs off to no end; and because ENTPs simply do not know how to dress appropriately for formal occasions.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif][.quote]

Well that obviously fits pretty well.

[/FONT]
The Real Meyers... said:
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]The typical INTP is a logical, abstract thinker whose intellect is ideally suited to understanding pure mathematics, linguistics, formal logic theory, and other pursuits unsuited to making a real living.

I was going along with this one until:
[/FONT]
The Real Meyers... said:
[FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]cannot perform more concrete tasks such as dressing himself, operating a motor vehicle, or opening a door. An INTP may be able to tell you how to construct a nuclear reactor from a coconut and two pieces of string, but may be completely incapable of fixing a hole in a boat.

While I may be underqualified for self dressing (my wife would agree with that), I've managed to operate several kinds of motor vehicles, and I've fixed several holes in boats.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back