Personal Locator Beacon

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I'd like to make a survival kit and I think a quality PLB might be one of the most important items.

Any recommendations? I have heard mixed reviews about SPOT.

I'd like to make a survival kit and I think a quality PLB might be one of the most important items.

Any recommendations? I have heard mixed reviews about SPOT.
I like the ACR ResQLink, costs about $250. Sometimes ACR puts it onsale on its website.

I like the ACR ResQLink, costs about $250. Sometimes ACR puts it onsale on its website.

Yea that is the one I was just looking at - thanks

Been rocking a 406/121.5 GPS EPIRB for years, it's nice knowing its there. Not sure the make off the top of my head

I run a spot. It's tested every flight with an ok message. It also has the breadcrumb feature reporting my position every 10 minutes. Will make finding the bodies so much easier. People can track your flight if they want. Only down side is the annual subscription.

CAP has Spot in every airplane. Evac procedures in event of an unplanned landing someplace unexpected is that the right front seater grabs the Spot (on the glareshield in front), exits to the right and immediately turns it on.

I know people like the breadcrumbs of Spot but I don't like the annual subscription, so I have the ACR. Even when I'm flying as CAP.

Couldn't hurt. Always wondered what the repsonse/rescue time would be if both were used for the same event.

I run a spot. It's tested every flight with an ok message. It also has the breadcrumb feature reporting my position every 10 minutes. Will make finding the bodies so much easier. People can track your flight if they want. Only down side is the annual subscription.

We called it the popcorn trail....

I have an ACR product. I bought one for my hiking-addict mother before I got mine. I didn't want either of us to fall into the trap of not renewing the subscription and then needing to use the thing. My advice is that, if you have ever flown even VFR with an expired GPS database, you should get a non-subscription PLB. If you always check the GPS database and update it before taking off even to do pattern work, then you have enough discipline to benefit from the lower purchase price and additional features of the Spot products.

It's a complicated subject. In a limitless World you would have a SPOT, InReach, PLB, Sat-Phone, cell phone, handheld aviation radio, EPirb, and a 406 ELT. Each one has it pluses and minuses. You have to decide on the mission, costs and functionality. I personally carry a cell phone and SPOT and have a 406 ELT. I used to have a Sat-phone, too. I've gotten very close to switching to an InReach, especially since Garmin bought them out.

I prefer the active tracking of SPOT and InReach. It's something I can use and test EVERY DAY, flying, hiking, boating, or on a road trip. They have "the button" for the big rescue, but they are always passively protecting you with the trail. If something happens too quick to hit "the button", at least they'll know where the trail stops. The InReach goes one step farther, allowing you to TXT with rescuers, or maybe just a friend who needs to bring you a new tire. The InReach also uses the Iridium network, with has better coverage Worldwide.

The PLB do what they do very effectively at a good price. But you can't use it every day, or even test some of them at all. The cost of the battery is such that a lot of people just buy a new one every 5 years. Because it's a dedicated device, there is a very good chance it's going to going to get you rescued.

Ultimately, all of the devices will eventually end up generating a phone call to the local Sheriff, State troopers, SAR, or the military

Back