Personal Aircraft Rental? IL / PA / FL

aerokeny

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AeroKeny
Hello all. This is my first post here, so hopefully it complies with the rules. Wondering if anyone has ever "rented" a plane from an individual and if they have any tips on soliciting/finding an aircraft... Especially when you're a military pilot stationed overseas like I am right now. Specifically, I'm returning to the states at the end of this month for vacation and need to visit Chicago, Orlando, Philadelphia (and everywhere in between), so I'd really like the flexibility to fly my family of six around instead of having to screw with the TSA. Obviously, I'd pay for gas and a generous user/Mx fee, but it is hard to find a C-210, A36, or Piper Lance/Saratoga for rent. ANY help is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

- Keny Ruffin
F-16 pilot / King Air 350 Type / ATP / MEI / ~ 2500 TT

The way I do it when traveling is just ask around locally. Usually there's a way to go flying, six seat rentals though are getting scarce, I can't think of one in South Florida, I think there are a couple in the Orlando area.

Last edited:
Kenny, thanks for your service. In the Philly area I can't think of any individual owners with planes that would fit your mission, and none that are interested in renting to someone they are not already close with.

The good news however is that there is an option a very good option actually to rent from an FBO. Hortman Aviation at Philly Northeast Airport (KPNE) has two saratogas for rent and one Seneca. Call in advance schedule a check out which should not take long and you can rent. One of the great things about Hortman is that you can rent for a multiple day trip with no daily minimum. Hortmanaviaton.com

Welcome to POA.

Thanks Adam. I actually have been in intermittent contact with Hortman and hadn't heard back from them in several days, so I was trying to formulate plan B. I'll be sure to try again though since you recommend them. Blue skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Adam. I actually have been in intermittent contact with Hortman and hadn't heard back from them in several days, so I was trying to formulate plan B. I'll be sure to try again though since you recommend them. Blue skies.

Aerokeny, Call Hortman and ask for a check out with Kurt Zitner. Great CFI. They will put you on his schedule and you won't have to worry about the back and forth with the phone.

Back