Perforated ear drum

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I had an ear infection I was unaware of (seriously, how is someone unaware of an ear infection? I figured I would know) which blocked my Eustecean tubes and, upon landing durnig a flight from BOS to CMH, perforated my ear drum.

This happened 12/3, the antibiotics just finished and I have "dulled" hearing, plus tinnitus, in that left ear. I was told it should take care of itself in the next few weeks.

Is flying in general verboten until it heals? The EM Doc said 3 days before I could fly, which has now passed.

Is there any concern on my next medical, or is it a straight "Perforated ear drum, healed xx/yy?

Cheers,

-Andrew

IF the infection is gone, and IF the Eardrum isn't scarred, it will heal. However, you REALLY need to go back and have him rexeamine you that this is so, as your entire inner ear is now open to infection.

You're on self certification between now and the next medical, but be smart!

Whatever you do don't get water in that ear!

It might be a good idea to have an ENT check it out under the microscope. Sometimes crud can build up on and around the eardrum while it's trying to heal leading to scarring and secondary infections. Making sure it's clean and kept clean will help promote good healing and ensure your hearing isn't dulled permanantly and avoid long term ringing.

Personally, I wouldn't fly until I knew it was healed. Having had similar ear trouble I'm a little paranoid.

Your report of being unaware of how serious the infection was reminds me of my experience. I think some people don't have the same pain response in the ear and things can get bad before you know it.

MM

I had an ear infection I was unaware of (seriously, how is someone unaware of an ear infection? I figured I would know) which blocked my Eustecean tubes and, upon landing durnig a flight from BOS to CMH, perforated my ear drum.

This happened 12/3, the antibiotics just finished and I have "dulled" hearing, plus tinnitus, in that left ear. I was told it should take care of itself in the next few weeks.

Is flying in general verboten until it heals? The EM Doc said 3 days before I could fly, which has now passed.

Is there any concern on my next medical, or is it a straight "Perforated ear drum, healed xx/yy?

Cheers,

-Andrew

IF the infection is gone, and IF the Eardrum isn't scarred, it will heal. However, you REALLY need to go back and have him rexeamine you that this is so, as your entire inner ear is now open to infection.

You're on self certification between now and the next medical, but be smart!

I went to the ENT today. Here is what I walked away with:

381.81, Eustacean tube dysfunction
381.10 Otitis Media, Chronic, Serous
388.40 Tinnitus, Unspecified

My hearing is normal although my left ear (one that perf'd) isn't hearing "as well" (but within standards for my age) as my right. There is negative pressure in my left ear, and inflamation and signs of trauma to the ear.

The doc was concerned about the ringing and wants me taken in for an ABR to asess nerve function and any other potential damage.

Now I'm worried abotu the next medical...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I went to the ENT today. Here is what I walked away with:

381.81, Eustacean tube dysfunction
381.10 Otitis Media, Chronic, Serous
388.40 Tinnitus, Unspecified

My hearing is normal although my left ear (one that perf'd) isn't hearing "as well" (but within standards for my age) as my right. There is negative pressure in my left ear, and inflamation and signs of trauma to the ear.

The doc was concerned about the ringing and wants me taken in for an ABR to asess nerve function and any other potential damage.

Now I'm worried abotu the next medical...

Cheers,

-Andrew
Andrew, has the hole closed?!!!!

Andrew, has the hole closed?!!!!

Yes, it's closed, but something isn't right with the ear beyond it, and the doc doesn't have a clue (nor what caused this in the first place, because a simple perforation and infection wouldn't do this sort of damage) what's actually going on in there...

Cheers,

-Andrew

So your tubes aren't draining?

The doc isn't sure. I don't need a drain and he couldn't sense any fluid in my ears. He's more worried that somehow this screwed up the nerve, which is beyond me how a dumb infection + pressure change would do that.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Go to an ENT. They will know way more than your primary Doc. Listen to Bruce on this one.

I grew up with chronic ear problems (multiple surgeries w/ canal reconstruction) and now have no issues getting 1st or 2nd class medicals.

My darn insurance requires seeing my primary physician, when I know darn well he can do anything with my ear than throw penicillin at it (that doesn't always work).

Rick

Y'all, he's BEEN to an ENT - just went, and has a return appt... but this is scary for him, I bet.

Good news is, if you're doing the THIRD class thing, you just have to be able to hear a normal speaking voice, six feet behind you in a quiet room! Shoot, even I could do that- and I've had tinnitus for years! (gunshots and scuba... dang. :(), And left sided hearing loss! :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back