Penalty for flying without certificate?

You can't smoke in your own building? Where?

That's how my boss met Anthony Bourdain; swanky dinner at his restaurant and my boss was outside smoking. Anthony walked out and they spent an hour talking about how he couldn't smoke in the office (closed off room separate from the rest of the restaurant/kitchen) of his own restaurant. Good times.

That's how my boss met Anthony Bourdain; swanky dinner at his restaurant and my boss was outside smoking. Anthony walked out and they spent an hour talking about how he couldn't smoke in the office (closed off room separate from the rest of the restaurant/kitchen) of his own restaurant. Good times.

No one is stoping him from smoking in the building. Just stoping him from doing it while he runs a restaurant out of it.

That's interesting. Talk about anti-authority. Something my instructor said long ago when I was still training with him just popped up in my head, "anybody can fly the airplane. That's not what makes a good pilot."

please tell us what your instructor thinks makes a good pilot.:yes:

That's not in a building she owns.

You asked a question and I answered.

BTW we have a state law that prevents smoking in any public buildings. For the purposes of the law, that's any building that isn't a residence. Including apartment common areas.

BTW we have a state law that prevents smoking in any public buildings. For the purposes of the law, that's any building that isn't a residence. Including apartment common areas.

IIRC there was some stink about OTR truck drivers not being allowed to smoke in trucks in Ohio due to the ban on smoking in the workplace. Not sure what happened with that.

What if....

The airstrip were on a very large ranch in Texas, that the pilot flew around and over the ranch but never left it's lateral boundaries?

:stirpot:

There are ranches big enough that a 150 cannot carry enough fuel to fly the length...

THe question was:

"You can't smoke in your own building?"

and you answered it with a story about a woman who can't smoke in someone else's building.

So no, you didn't answer the question :p

We're not talking about smoking. Please keep this on topic and stop the petty arguing. This thread has already been trashed (and resuscitated) once.

We're not talking about smoking. Please keep this on topic and stop the petty arguing. This thread has already been trashed (and resuscitated) once.

I think this thread has lost its usefulness a page back.

No objections to locking the thread again - I think everything useful to be said happened in the first 50 posts or so.

please tell us what your instructor thinks makes a good pilot.:yes:

There's not really any one "thing" that makes a pilot "good." Anyway, it isn't my words and I don't necessarily agree, but I think what he's trying to say is that anyone can learn the material, do a few maneuvers, and get a certificate. It just confuses me because if this guy is so "experienced" then why didn't he take his written, meet up with an instructor, do three hours of review, and take his checkride? It can't be that hard for him if he's so "experienced."

The on-topic stuff in this thread has been good. I thought it was interesting that there are actually criminal penalties possible, even if the FAA seldom (or never?) pursues them.

First, your boss should stop smoking right away. Stupidest thing anyone can do with their money. Anyone found smoking in the Steinholme is assumed to be on fire and treated accordingly.

Second, I can't imagine eating something prepared by a chef who smokes. It destroys your sense of taste and smell. And all the chefs I know smoke.

I'm just trying to figure out what smoking in a warehouse has to do with the FAA penalties for flying without a license.

I'm just trying to figure out what smoking in a warehouse has to do with the FAA penalties for flying without a license.

A pilot who smokes extensively in a warehouse could potentially become ineligeable for a medical due to smoking related diseases. That pilot could have his certificate revoked if he is caught flying without a medical, creating additional legal exposure if he is caught flying without a certificate or medical.

So there.

Very loosely, the over-reach and over-regulation of current government.

But agree that it's generally way too far afield to be part of this thread.

Second, I can't imagine eating something prepared by a chef who smokes. It destroys your sense of taste and smell. And all the chefs I know smoke.

WoW!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...you must be new here. Welcome to PoA!

Guys,

FYI, Two years ago a student pilot was busted carrying passengers during a ramp check (at TJIG). FAA supended his student certificate for a year..

News story from jan 2010 re. A recidivist unlicensed pilot. He was once jailed 4.5 months for it. He did it again and got probation.

Maybe that info will help Jeanne.

========================================

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - A Sheridan man who had his pilot's license revoked more than a quarter-century ago has been placed on probation and fined $2,000 after admitting to a federal judge that he flew a single-engine plane from Eugene to Independence.

Teddy Mayfield, 74, has a long history of defying federal aviation rules.

Court records show Mayfield was sentenced in 1994 to 4½ months in federal prison for repeatedly flying without a license. In 1995, he was sentenced to five months in state prison for criminally negligent homicide in the deaths of two customers of his former skydiving school.

Mayfield rebounded from those lows to become a Sheridan city councilman and Chamber of Commerce Citizen of the Year.

But he caught the Federal Aviation Administration's attention on June 13, 2008, when he departed from the Eugene Airport without communicating with or getting clearance from air traffic controllers.

He initially told investigators another pilot with him was flying the plane, according to a sentencing memo from Assistant U.S. Attorney William "Bud" Fitzgerald. The FAA, however, discovered the other pilot had been in Corvallis.

Mayfield, in a recent letter to U.S. District Judge Michael Hogan, said he took full responsibility for the illegal flight: "I knew better and I should not have done it."

Fitzgerald and defense attorney Steven Myers agreed Tuesday that probation, not prison, was a sufficient penalty. Myers noted the gap between the 2008 flight and Mayfield's previous aviation-related conviction. He added his client complied with terms of his pretrial release, and has a 35-year history of community service in Sheridan.

Mayfield first had his license to fly revoked while still a student pilot in 1967, for illegally carrying a passenger during a flight. He obtained a commercial pilot's license in 1972 and opened Pacific Parachute Center in Sheridan.

The FAA revoked Mayfield's license in 1982 for violations that included failing to disclose his criminal history on a prerequisite medical certificate application. Though his license was never reinstated, Mayfield continued to fly despite court orders not to do so, leading to his 1994 federal prison sentence.

That same year, the FAA revoked Mayfield's parachute rigger certificate after the agency faulted his failure to properly pack and maintain two parachutes involved in skydiving fatalities. In 1995, he pleaded guilty in Yamhill County Circuit Court to criminally negligent homicide in the deaths of Charles Schaefer, 33, and Lee Perry Sr., 85.

They were among 13 people who died in Pacific Parachute Center jumps. An FAA spokeswoman said in 1994 that most of the deaths occurred after parachutes malfunctioned.

But he caught the Federal Aviation Administration's attention on June 13, 2008, when he departed from the Eugene Airport without communicating with or getting clearance from air traffic controllers.

....and had he adhered to procedures, the FAA would have had no reason to talk to him and he could have continued on unimpeded.

Searching the site for the inspector general of the DOT turns up several cases. Here are some that mention jail sentences. Note that the pilots typically had done more than just fly without a certificate.

=====================

On Aug 5, Kenneth Wayne Leaming (a/k/a Keny Wayne), of Spanaway, WA, was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Tacoma, WA to 31 days jail time served and fined $1,000 for flying an airplane without a valid airman certificate. Leaming, who pled guilty to the charge in March 2005, has never held a pilot’s license, but operated his privately owned and unregistered Cessna aircraft on multiple occasions between 2002 and 2004 - a threat to aviation safety. The case was investigated with assistance from the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office, and the FAA.

Cornie Gene Lowe was ordered by a U.S District Court judge in Del Rio, TX, to pay a $5,000 fine and spend 6 months in jail for piloting a plane without a pilot’s license and lying to the FAA. Lowe flew as pilot-in-command from Del Rio to Ruidoso, NM, even though FAA revoked his pilot's license in December 2001. He also made false entries in airman logbooks as though he were a certified flight instructor and signed off biennial flight reviews of other pilots when he was not authorized to do so. Lowe co-owns Fontera Aviation, Inc, an aircraft fuel business at Del Rio International Airport in Texas. OIG conducted the investigation with assistance from FAA.

Donald Wilson was sentenced to a 15-month prison term by a U.S. District Court judge in Fort Lauderdale, FL, for piloting a plane without a legitimate airman certificate and flying a plane with an unapproved modification to its fuel system. Wilson used various fraudulent identities in order to obtain FAA licenses and falsely register an aircraft. He also modified a plane by installing fuel-tank systems without making the change according to FAA maintenance regulations.

On January 27, 2012, Colton Harris-Moore, 20, of Camano Island, Washington, was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Seattle, Washington. In June 2011, Harris-Moore pleaded guilty to bank burglary, interstate transportation of a stolen aircraft, interstate and foreign transportation of a stolen firearm, being a fugitive in possession of a firearm, piloting an aircraft without a valid airman's certificate, and interstate transportation of a stolen vessel. Mr. Harris-Moore's lengthy crime spree began in the Pacific Northwest and across the United States to Indiana, ending with a crash landing in the Bahamas. As a result, Mr. Harris-Moore was sentenced to 78 months in prison and three years of supervised release.

On February 24, 2012, Andrew Ryan Johnson of Virginia Beach, Virginia, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court, Norfolk, Virginia, to one count of knowingly operating an aircraft subsequent to his Commercial Pilot Certificate having been revoked by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Mr. Johnson was sentenced to twenty days in jail, assessed a $100 fine, and placed on probation for one year. While on probation, Mr. Johnson is not allowed to pilot an aircraft or conduct flight instruction.

Our investigation revealed that in 2009, Mr. Johnson's Commercial Pilot Certificate was suspended for 120 days for giving flight instruction in an aircraft that he knew was not airworthy. While under the 120 day suspension, Mr. Johnson flew as pilot-in-command on nine occasions. Because of these acts, in June 2011, the FAA revoked Johnson's pilot certificate. While Mr. Johnson's Commercial Pilot Certificate was revoked and his Flight Instructor Certificate was expired, he flew as the pilot-in-command and as a flight instructor on September 23 and September 27, 2011. While Mr. Johnson was giving flight instruction to the pilot during the September 27 flight, the aircraft's propeller struck the runway.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20001205X00487&ntsbno=LAX99FA150&akey=1

Pilot without a certificate or medical. Gave false N-number to ATC. Would not land at Lindbergh probably because he did nit want to risk getting caught. Read the wx conditions.
Read the "Personnel Information" section.
A review of the records revealed that the pilot's medical certificate was administratively denied in July 1994 by the FAA's Aeromedical Certification Division. An Airman Stop Order, dated June 19, 1995, was located on the top page of the airman file. It noted that the Assistant Chief Counsel of the FAA Western Pacific Region revoked the pilot's private pilot certificate and airman medical certificate held by the pilot on an emergency basis. The reasons given for the emergency revocation were that the pilot had completed an application for an airman medical certificate dated July 1, 1994. In that application, the pilot marked the answer "no" to question No. 18 referencing a history of mental disorders and any suicide attempts. Additionally, the revocation letter stated that on December 27, 1993, in the Superior Court of Arizona in and for Maricopa County, the pilot was detained for an evaluation based on a finding by the court that the pilot was mentally disordered and in need of care, supervision, treatment, or restraint.
The passenger was my aunt. Widowed at thew time. Her husband a retired brown shoe Navy guy. If this guy had told her that the Wright
Brothers taught him to fly she would have believed him.
As far as I'm concerned, it was murder. Too bad he could not be punished in this life.
This stuff matters. Maybe a nanny pilot could have prevented this. :dunno: There was no estate to seek damages from.

Back