penalty for commercial flying without medical?

U

Unregistered

Wondering what the penalty is for flying commercial operations requiring a class II medical (part 91 and part 135) while not having a valid medical of any class. Think annual SI that expired and wasn't properly renewed.

Does it make a difference if the pilot in question can show that it wasn't intentional?

At best, lots of lawsuits without insurance coverage or indemnification should there be an incident or accident.

I think the FAA can levy civil penalties up to $10,000 per incident and they certainly can suspend/revoke any certificates the pilot does have.

You can almost surely count on the latter. The FAA believes in causing maximum harm. "Working" pilots get suspensions. Those of us who not flying would just be a loss of recreational convenience, will get fines.

Wondering what the penalty is for flying commercial operations requiring a class II medical (part 91 and part 135) while not having a valid medical of any class. Think annual SI that expired and wasn't properly renewed.

Does it make a difference if the pilot in question can show that it wasn't intentional?

It may hold sway in the civil proceeding, but after what they tried on Bob Hoover back in the 70's, I doubt it.

FAR 61.3(c) requires the holder of a medical certificate to have that certificate in his/her physical possession in order to act as a pilot in command or in any capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember. If you are found not to be in possession of a valid medical certificate, you could face some civil action, based upon the circumstance that prevented you from producing a medical. If you have a medical, but left it in your flight bag on the floor of your car and took off without realizing it wasn't with you, you might get away with as little as a letter of reprimand from the FAA. However, if you have been denied a medical certificate and are found to be flying without a medical, it's possible that your airman certificate will be suspended or revoked. Remember, too, that suspensions and revocation are maintained in your FAA airman record, and prospective airlines or corporate flight departments might find that blemish on your record to be enough of a liability to look elsewhere to fill open pilot positions.

Did the pilot in question get caught?

Yes, the pilot (not me) got caught.
I think it was unintentional so maybe that helps him somewhat?

Sounds like he's likely to get an involuntary break from flying. Is that actually going to cause problems with him getting hired with the airlines? Would they be likely to overlook that if they believe it was unintentional?

Wasn't commercial operation. FAA found tow pilot flying and towing with expired medical, by a few months. Pilot showed up at FSDO next day with fresh medical. He got a letter in his folder that disappeared in a few years.

Yes, the pilot (not me) got caught.
I think it was unintentional so maybe that helps him somewhat?

Sounds like he's likely to get an involuntary break from flying. Is that actually going to cause problems with him getting hired with the airlines? Would they be likely to overlook that if they believe it was unintentional?

No, not most airlines. I had a suspension several years ago and I get calls everytime I send out my resume. When I tell people that I had a violation while flying in Alaska, they usually laugh and ask me... "Just one.??? Did you not fly much..???"

I had a ramp check once. I had left my flight bag, with medical and certificate, in the car so I didn't have it with me during the flight. When the fed identified himself and told me his intentions, I asked him if we could step over to my truck since I had already put my flight bag away. He looked up and said, "That was really quick.." Then we walked over to my truck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back