Pella, Iowa (PEA) Brunch Today (Sunday)

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
A few of us from Iowa City's airport advocacy group, Friends of Iowa City Airport, are heading to Pella for Mother's Day brunch today. (At this point we've got three aircraft "for sure".) The plan is to enjoy the sights of Tulip Festival (Pella is a Dutch settlement, and they plant MILLIONS of tulips -- this weekend is/was their annual Tulip Festival, and it's usually a sight to behold, indeed) and partake in brunch at a restaurant called "Smoky Row".

Smoky Row is not a fancy place, but they are reknowned for their "cheeseburger chowder" (served in a fresh-baked bread-bowl) and hand-dipped strawberry malts. Feel your cholesterol jump off the scale!?

Anyone looking for a place to fly for Mother's Day, feel free to join us. We'll be there around 1:30 PM...

Jay i'd love to come, but it's a little to far to fly for lunch.
Dave G

Jay i'd love to come, but it's a little to far to fly for lunch.
Dave G

Wimp. :goofy:

We had a great time. 14 people showed up -- quite a surprise, given how many folks said they couldn't make it due to Mothers Day!

Pics will come in a day or two...

Wimp. :goofy:

We had a great time. 14 people showed up -- quite a surprise, given how many folks said they couldn't make it due to Mothers Day!

Pics will come in a day or two...
Wish I'd seen the invitation before spending the day at the airport...

Wish I'd seen the invitation before spending the day at the airport...

Yeah, sorry. It was really a local FOICA (Friends of Iowa City Airport) fly-out -- I didn't think to post it here till the last minute.

Jay, I missed you at Lake Lawn. If I'd had a smidge more notice, both myself and my student would have been there..... :)

Pix from Pella, Iowa (KPEA) Brunch FlyOut last Sunday

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/foica_fly-out_to_pella.htm

As you can see, Tulip Time in Pella is GORGEOUS!

sPella-TulipsOrange%205-09.jpg

very cool Jay. That must be Gary Lust's Maule? I've never seen it, have seen his PA-18A and of course the Travel Air. Looks like you folks had a lot of fun.

very cool Jay. That must be Gary Lust's Maule? I've never seen it, have seen his PA-18A and of course the Travel Air. Looks like you folks had a lot of fun.

Yep, that's Gary's Maule. A few months ago (at our fly-out to Muscatine) he flew his awesome Howard DGA, Mr. Mulligan.

I snagged a little right-seat time in it. What a cool plane!

:smile:

Yep, that's Gary's Maule. A few months ago (at our fly-out to Muscatine) he flew his awesome Howard DGA, Mr. Mulligan.

I snagged a little right-seat time in it. What a cool plane!

:smile:

Looks like you guys had a great time.... On another note I wondered where Gary and Sharon moved on to.. They are a super couple. If I had a dime for every time Gary and I met in passing at 10,000 feet while I was burning off testing hours on my beast someone could buy a few gallons of av gas. I really miss his cheerful voice on the radio. Please say hello for me....

Ben.

Last edited:
Back