Peanuts Was a Wonderful Friend -- N/A & Long

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
When I was growing up in Cushing we had the usual farm residents: three floors of laying hens; cows, pigs, large vegetable gardens. There was "Chummie," the wild crow we caught, split his tounge, and who could say quite a few sentences. The dog and the barn cats were ever-present, but the great and lasting memory are of the horses, never more than one team of two. Grampa Frank had lived there since he was 5 years old(1892) until 1970, and could point to every corner of the various fields and name which oxen or horses had been laid to rest over the decades. I don't forget much, but the horses are a particularly fond memory; the teams I drove(under supervision) while cutting the tall grass, raking same, pulling the hay rack, and bareback-riding "Peanuts" as he pulled the rope to lift the loaded hay fork into the hay mow. A wonderful animal who knew, without command, that when the rope was tugged and the load released he was to turn a 180 and walk back to the barn for another load.

One day a long-time neighbor stopped by as Grampy was carding Peanuts. He asked if he could come back and paint the horse. Grampy said, "You can do anything you want, as long as you don't get any on him." In anticipation of the return visit, Grampy polished the brass on Peanut's collar. The painting completed, Grampy was given the preparatory sketch which had on it a friendly note from the neighbor.

There was a young lady in Philadelphia who wanted, desperately, to have a horse. It was not to be, but her parents bought the picture of Peanuts and said to her, "There's your horse; enjoy it." That was in the mid 1950s.
Well, many years have passed and the lady has suffered through a messy divorce. Her "horse" was recently sold, reason that she could use the money to "support the estate."

Bring up the following Link and look down to the 25th illustration. There you'll see my old friend, Peanuts, in the name of South Cushing.

The hill on which Peanuts was standing, when sketched, is in my aerial shots of April 29, 2001, though I'll have to come back an qualify when I see the image posted. I have a print of South Cushing, personally signed by the "neighbor."
((The now-tall trees just to the right of the red farm house were planted in the late 1950s, but that was where Peanuts was "modeling" for his picture. The large barn/hen house was in the U of driveways, but has been gone for about 15 years.)) My cousin owns the farm house, today.

http://www.thecityreview.com/s06samp.html

HR

Attachments

• Crute Farm 1 April 29 2001.jpg
    Crute Farm 1 April 29 2001.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Crute Farm 2 April 29 2001.jpg
    Crute Farm 2 April 29 2001.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 29
woodstock said:
HOLY HELL. how well known was he in the 50s??

Who? Andy? Well, he had his first one-man exhibit somewhere around the early 1940s and it was instant recognition of what was to come. And did it ever come. Just a super family, and we learned as kids back home, Nobody needs to know how to get to their house at the end of the Point.

HR

EDITED: Here's a photo of my print of South Cushing. It's not a good image because the flash washed out the color. In the upper right corner you can see the additional signing Andy did for me.

Attachments

• Peanuts - South Cushing.jpg
    Peanuts - South Cushing.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
That is a neat story.

My dad grew up on a farm in Chadds Ford PA, where the Wyeths had a home. Some of his friends, and many of his local haunts, ended up in Wyeth paintings. None of his horses did, though.

flyersfan31 said:
That is a neat story.

My dad grew up on a farm in Chadds Ford PA, where the Wyeths had a home. Some of his friends, and many of his local haunts, ended up in Wyeth paintings. None of his horses did, though.
I grew up in Kennett Square, just down the road from Chadds Ford. I remember seeing Andrew and Jamie Wyeth several times at the Chadds Ford Inn when we would go there for dinner.

Very nice people.

I love the emotional aspects of this story, but at $4.3 million, that gift of a "horse" by the girls parents was a doosey financially.

flyersfan31 said:
That is a neat story.

"Had" is "has;" Andy and Betsy, in not too many weeks, will be back in Chadds Ford for the winter and Spring '07. They usually arrive back in Maine around the early part of June. One of my uncles now owns the prep. sketch for South Cushing. One can only imagine what the recent sale of the painting did to the value of the prep. sketch.

Considering that Her Room, a painting done of their Cushing living room was purchased in approximately 1964(by The Farnsworth Museum - Rockland, ME)for the sum of $65,000.00 -- at that point, the most money ever paid for a painting by a living American artist -- it would be interesting to know for how much less than that figure was South Cushing sold in 1956. Certainly, a rather good investment for the original owner. Yikes!

HR

Chadds Ford, not far from our house and always a great day of driving and antique shopping with the Bride. I rode horses all through Chadds and the DuPont estate along the Brandywine, in my younger days.

Great story Harley and nice local ties to the history, thanks for sharing.

FYI - If anyone is in Chadds ford or Longwood gardens don't miss breakfast at Hanks, good eats!

Mary's dad worked with another excellent local artist Paul Scarborugh. We have a wall full of his prints in our living room. Another neat history story of how this guy started out and how the family knows him, but thats for another posting. http://www.awyethgallery.com/paul/

Last edited:
NC Pilot said:
I grew up in Kennett Square, just down the road from Chadds Ford.

I grew up in Media, just down the road from Kennet Square. :D

After being dragged to Longwood Gardens by my parents and grand parents on Sundays, Kennet Square became more than the "Mushroom Capital of the World". However, living in Chester County for many years, I got to get to the Brandywine River Museum where a lot of Wyeths hang. (Just the paintings, not the artists)

GMascelli said:
FYI - If anyone is in Chadds ford or Longwood gardens don't miss breakfast at Hanks, good eats!

Had to mention Longwood Gardens, didn't ya? And bring back those boyhood psychological scars of spending YET ANOTHER FREAKIN SUNDAY looking at plants! :hairraise:

So Anthony - wanna check out the Denver Botanical Gardens this weekend? :)

gkainz said:
So Anthony - wanna check out the Denver Botanical Gardens this weekend? :)

Does it have plants and/or flowers? If so.......NO! ;)

Lawreston said:
Aw, heck; why spend the gas money to get there? Just ring up

http://www.carolynblish.com/flowers.html and enjoy almost limitless petals.

HR:rolleyes:
This one I know personally. Her husand (Stan Blish) worked with my father at DuPont and flew a very nice Baron. I have several of her signed prints with personnal notes to my mother and father.

Carolyn was also the model photographed on the front of the Yuban coffee can in the mid 60's. Blew many a hole in those cans using them as makeshift skeet.

Last edited:
Media -- Everyone's Hometown!!!

I'm guessing you're a Penncrest grad, then?

Those were long Sundays indeed at Longwood.

I dragged one of my daughters out to Longwood for the Xmas light show last year. It's not all outside like it once was, I guess so they can charge admission now. What a clusterfrank that trip was. Ended up going to Rose Tree Park instead.

But watching the Christmas model trains at the Brandywine, that was more fun. As a kid, I couldn't have cared less about all the Wyeths on the walls. Loved the trains though. My oldest daughter did enjoy that trip last year. Didn't look at the Wyeths, though.

NC Pilot said:
This one I know personally. Her husand (Stan Blish) worked with my father at DuPont and flew a very nice Baron. I have several of her signed prints with personnal notes to my mother and father.

Carolyn was also the model photographed on the front of the Yuban coffee can in the mid 60's. Blew many a hole in those cans using them as makeshift skeet.

I have admired her work for ages. Meticulous in detail, I've wondered if she took some influence from Andy Wyeth. And re Dupont, I'm sure you're aware that Andy's brother, Nathaniel, while at DuPont, pioneered/perfected the technology which allowed many beverages to escape the only-in-glass-bottles packaging, and be "bottled" in plastic. Because that was such a universal benefit to the world-over, Andy at one time felt as though he was the failure of the family.

HR

Back