pdf plates.....

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
Has anyone ever come across this site before? It looks pretty cool and is FREE. :thumbsup: Information on their news page indicates they launched the site 6/21/09

www.pdfplates.com

Airnav does it too....but I like this site better. All in one. Very nice.

Nacomatic has been around longer...

My favorite is still the one Joe Areeda was working on at one time because it allowed more filters. For example, if you don't have an approach-certified GPS, not much reason to download the GPS approaches.

I really haven't seen anything else out there that does this.

My favorite is still the one Joe Areeda was working on at one time because it allowed more filters. For example, if you don't have an approach-certified GPS, not much reason to download the GPS approaches.

The problem there is figuring it out...

Let's say you don't have an ADF, then do you want the "NDB or GPS" approaches if you are /G?

How about VOR/DME?

And sometimes they have additional requirements that are not in the title...it's a very complex task to filter them, programatically speaking.

Thank you Mark!

Based on the usage log, a few people may have missed that this site is back on line and automatically updated. My friends here are more than welcome to it.

My big problem is that all we really have to go on is the approach name. I wish we could see "xxx required" in the plan view.

I have not given up on development and still have some good ideas from the original todo list. I'm trying to get the "all approaches within xxx miles of this route" feature to work.

I don't push it, it is free and I pay for it.

Joe

Thank you Mark!

Based on the usage log, a few people may have missed that this site is back on line and automatically updated. My friends here are more than welcome to it.

My big problem is that all we really have to go on is the approach name. I wish we could see "xxx required" in the plan view.

I have not given up on development and still have some good ideas from the original todo list. I'm trying to get the "all approaches within xxx miles of this route" feature to work.

I don't push it, it is free and I pay for it.

Joe

What is the link? I don't have that anymore.

Airnav does it too....but I like this site better. All in one. Very nice.
You are not an AOPA member currently?

The .pdf site for AOPA members will also let you download in a bundle. You can select what plates you want to be in that bundle. It is a nice little feature and a benefit of membership. With Phil gone, you might want to take a look again at joining. It seems as if the new guy is a little bit more concerned with helping GA instead of self promotion.

For example, if you don't have an approach-certified GPS, not much reason to download the GPS approaches. I really haven't seen anything else out there that does this.
I've been using a free tool called Aviator Trip Pack for several years. It lets you predefine any number of packs that contain whatever plates, stars, sids, minimums, AF/D pages or AOPA airport pages that you like. It will even log you on and include a current DUAT briefing in the pack. It then downloads everything you've specified and maintains current copies for you.

A pack can be as big as you like, including the whole country. But no need to download the UP if you're flying in southern Michigan. You can print a pack whenever you like. I print them as kneeboard size booklets using http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html.

ATP talks directly to the FAA, so once you have the software you have no dependence on someone's site or service staying in operation.

Typically, I maintain one pack called "Metro_Approaches" for practice flights, then make ad hoc packs for trips. My backup is to buy one region of IFR service from http://www.airchart.com/ and buy additional plate books as I need them. Their update service covers the whole country so there is no reason to buy more than the minimum number of books from them.

I have been beta testing a new version of ATP for the author and I don't know if he's ready for prime time yet or not. I have forwarded a link to this thread to him; we'll see if he has any news for us.

I've been using a free tool called Aviator Trip Pack for several years.
Interesting. If you google "aviator trip pack" you are referred to a site with all sorts of warnings about malicious software.

If you google "aviator trip pack" you are referred to a site with all sorts of warnings about malicious software.
Yes. That's why I didn't mention the site. Greg's server got hacked a while back and he is tearing his hair out trying to get the various watchdog sites to restore his clean bill of health. PITA. Also, the new version isn't up yet. He's working on the documentation.

Has anyone ever come across this site before? It looks pretty cool and is FREE. :thumbsup: Information on their news page indicates they launched the site 6/21/09

www.pdfplates.com

Flightaware.com has them too. When you click on the airport info/IFR Charts tab you'll get those,

For example...

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KPWK/procedures

You can download ala carte or in a batch.

I like that site as I will have done my flight planning, flight plan filling, and briefing form DUATS on it. So if I need the charts it is only one more click. Simplifies the gettign of all the info.

May I ask a question ?

Given the free NACO plates are so good, why do any US private pilots use Jeppesen plates? (maybe none do; I don't know)

I can see why commercial pilots might use them; for uniformity of data presentation while flying around the world.

rats
pdfplates not compatible with kindle 2

on amazon it does say something about converting the pdfs
not sure if I have time/inclination to mess w it.

rats
pdfplates not compatible with kindle 2

on amazon it does say something about converting the pdfs
not sure if I have time/inclination to mess w it.

Don't bother - they don't convert to anything remotely usable (text only, IIRC- I already tried it!).

May I ask a question ?

Given the free NACO plates are so good, why do any US private pilots use Jeppesen plates? (maybe none do; I don't know)

I can see why commercial pilots might use them; for uniformity of data presentation while flying around the world.

I'll take a shot.

Most people still use paper plates. Those that use electronic plates on board probably use Jepp. I think the G1000 has a NACO option now but I haven't seen it. If you use paper NACO isn't free, still significantly less than Jepps. If you use electronic Jepp you get the ability to print them.

NACO are catching up to Jepp but there are still many things I like about Jepps.

There's a lot of inertia. If you've been using one or the other for years it takes time and effort to become proficient in the other.

I teach instrument flying and have a plane with electronic Jepps so I use both regularly. If I could get NACO on our Avidyne, I'd probably drop the Jepp but would have problem with a couple of the partners.

Joe

Thanks for the interest from the folks on this forum. I just wanted to pop in and mention that we do plan to add Kindle 2 support. With the recent press there has been a lot of interest, and, while the DX will offer superior quality, we understand that you already have good money invested in this equipment.

Our goal is to support ALL platforms and we have lots of satisfied users on PC, Mac, Sony eBook, iPhone, and even the eFly book reader. There is no way I can afford to go out and buy all of these platforms as test subjects, so it is great to see the community pitch in and come up with ways to use PDFPlates that I never even thought of.

Please come on over and give them a try, and send me an email with suggestions. I always write back.

John
PDFPlates.com

I use Jepp because:

1.) NACO pdf's don't work in my MX20 at all.
2.) NACO's coverage of Canada is a bit thin.

IS there is an easy way to print the PDF plates 2 per page in a kneeboard size / format?

IS there is an easy way to print the PDF plates 2 per page in a kneeboard size / format?
I use Fineprint (http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html). It is a great little utility that I use for all of my printing. For plates, I have it set up to give me an 8.5 x 5.5" booklet that is page numbered and date stamped on each page with the printing date.

I also use it to print reference information and various custom forms that go on my kneeboard, which has a 7-ring binder. Franklin Covey sells a very nice punch at about 40% less cost than Sporty's or Jepp.

Back