PDA based GPS units...

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
Hi,

I recently purchased a bluetooth GPS for my PDA and decided to try the unit during my last flight.

The first big disappointment was the screen brightness. In daylight conditions, especially when the sun shines at your 6, it is almost impossible to see anything on the screen.

The second problem was the extreme difficulty I encountered while trying to use the PDA's buttons - as soon as there is a bit of thermals / turbulence - the task becomes virtually impossible.

The most important advantage I found is that I can scan my aeronautical charts, calibrate them and use them in the PDA for GPS navigation.
That's a big bonus when you fly in a country that has no VFR and you need to follow designated routes.

I had an idea the other day, maybe buying/building a specially designed wrap-around sun visor/hood could solve much of the problem ?
I saw that several combat aircraft used that kind of system for their radar screens back in the sixties...

If somebody came up with a better solution - I'd love to hear about it...

Armageddon Aviator said:
Hi,

I recently purchased a bluetooth GPS for my PDA and decided to try the unit during my last flight.

The first big disappointment was the screen brightness. In daylight conditions, especially when the sun shines at your 6, it is almost impossible to see anything on the screen.

The second problem was the extreme difficulty I encountered while trying to use the PDA's buttons - as soon as there is a bit of thermals / turbulence - the task becomes virtually impossible.

The most important advantage I found is that I can scan my aeronautical charts, calibrate them and use them in the PDA for GPS navigation.
That's a big bonus when you fly in a country that has no VFR and you need to follow designated routes.

I had an idea the other day, maybe buying/building a specially designed wrap-around sun visor/hood could solve much of the problem ?
I saw that several combat aircraft used that kind of system for their radar screens back in the sixties...

If somebody came up with a better solution - I'd love to hear about it...
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:a344CNneKtGjeM:www.avionix.com/images/GPS-196.jpg

I haven't ventured down the PDA/GPS route, as I have an old but serviceable handheld Garmin GPS-12 unit. However, I've experienced similar issues as you describe just trying to use the PDA in an airplane. I feel like they're just too hard to use to make them of any practical use in flight for me. However, I do use Copilot occasionally before flight, and could see other PDA apps as having some practicality. I just find it too darn hard to push the buttons in flight.

Treo 650, upgraded from a Palm VII, (with a m105 somewhere in the mix), upgraded from a Palm III

I wish there was an available sun shield/visor for the Ipaq's - that would make things 100% better as far as I'm concerned.

Board member Dave Taylor (Let'sgoflying) uses Anywhere Map in his Bellanca, and I think he is pretty pleased with the results. I also know that tere is a dramatic difference between PDAs and the relative brightness (or, more importantly, "transflectivity") of the screen, with many being (as you havedescribed) badly washed-out in bright light.

Welcome to POA; you can be our first official Holy Land correspondent!

Hi,

Many thanks for your warm welcome !

Since Israel is the #1 supplier of news worldwide (we should get royalties from CNN...), I guess I won't have much to tell...:)

As far as I know (but I might be wrong...) the IPAQ I use has one of the best available displays...

I compared it with a Garmin 296 - huge difference !

A makeshift (or even better a decent one...) sun shield could help.

Take care

Alon

What I'd like for my new Pocket PC phone is a finger-stylus. It comes with a tiny collapsible one that is just begging to be lost. That's why it came with a spare. Maybe a ring-stylus or a finger clot stylus. There has to be such a thing I just haven't got a round tuit for a Google seach yet. I've always wanted to attach a pen to my wrist in the plane the same way.

I need to get some kind of simple mount for it for the car and/or plane. I might add a second mounting bay to my FlexPed, provided I find a spot for it that doesn't get in the way, or try something like the Boxwave Mount

mikea said:
What I'd like for my new Pocket PC phone is a finger-stylus. It comes with a tiny collapsible one that is just begging to be lost. That's why it came with a spare. Maybe a ring-stylus or a finger clot stylus. There has to be such a thing I just haven't got a round tuit for a Google seach yet. I've always wanted to attach a pen to my wrist in the plane the same way.

Found one: http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=6
That'll work.

I'm amazed that Anywhere map is only $95 now. I guess they want to get you in the fold to get recurring revenue with updates.

Mike,

I remember seeing such a device in some place (ring-stylus) - will try to locate it...

Back