Pattern Work

cpilotw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cpilotw
This was years ago but a story I will never forget...

I was flying around KNEW (New Orleans Lakefront) with my CFI in the pattern performing touch and goes in right-closed traffic for 36R in a Cessna (either 152 or 172). Due to the length the runways, 36R/18L was mainly used for smaller aircraft - pattern work specifically and 36L/18R was used for larger aircraft; 9/27 was used mainly when winds favored that runway but I remember it to be used mainly for GA as well. It can get pretty busy at KNEW...

I was already cleared for the option for 36R. Another aircraft in the pattern, a GA aircraft (can't remember the type but a low-wing for sure) was cleared for 36R , number 2 to FOLLOW. I suppose this pilot never did well in "follow the leader" because as I was on short-final for the runway, low and behold the "follower" flew right past us, coming from above our left wing...I swear I could make out the screws on that airplane.

At that moment, our decision was either to land and wait to see whether the "follower" was going to land, go around, or depart from the vicinity of the airport, or to do a touch and go and depart to another airport. The decision was made for us when Tower issued this instruction to us, "Cessna XXXX, runway 36R cleared for the option....correction runway 36R, CLEARED TO LAND".

We landed as the "follower" went for a go-around. I cannot remember whether we taxied back to the runway or called it a day. However, someone else's mistake caused us to immediately figure out the best course of action. For this situation, we agreed with what Tower had instructed us to do. IMO, the "follower" or "attempt-to-follow" lost sight during a possible steep base-to-final turn, losing sight of us as he was a low-wing aircraft. We couldn't seem him because we were a high-wing aircraft. I'm sure speed could've been an issue as well.

Not sure what the outcome was for the #2 pilot but all I know is you are never safe in either a controlled or an uncontrolled environment.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back