Pattern Etiquette

There is also a Vertical Descent profile that you set up for your airplane. After that it starts suggesting when you should start down and at what rate to your destination.
I know that, but that isn't what we were talking about. He said "glideslope," and that mode doesn't drive the GS needle.

Last edited:
Beating a dead horse part 5

I made a simple, straightforward request for a definition of "final approach" (for the purposes of 91.113(g)). I wrote mine the last paragraph of post #67. What is the correct definition as far as the FAA is concerned?
I interpret the response as: look it up. So I did.
One last time -- the term "final approach fix" applies only to SIAP's, not right of way rules.
OK. At least the definition for FAF includes (sort of) a definition for final approach for IFR. I consider this to be indirect evidence in the absence of a formal definition of VFR final approach. I believe that the FAA would have a congruent concept of final approach for VFR and IFR.
Already did -- read Boardman, above.
I read Boardman and Fekete.
Fekete: Don't repeatedly fly like a complete idiot.
Boardman: Don't turn a 737 in the wrong pattern direction 1 to 2 miles from the threshold. If want to call an approach straight in, you must remain in a 30 degree cone unless you are more than 6 miles out, or something like that. Nothing in either of these defines final approach.
That may be your preference, but in this context, as stated in the regs, the AC's, the AIM, and the case law, it isn't the FAA's.
Then what is the FAAs? Thats my problem. I was hoping that somebody could provide me with a concise answer. So far no joy.
In any event, if someone is on final outside the FAF, someone on downwind about to turn base is hardly likely to need to extend behind the plane on final unless that someone on downwind is flying something very big, heavy, and fast, so the question of whetner "final" begins for 91.113(g) purposes at the FAF or farther just doesn't much matter (unless it takes you more than two minutes to get from turning base to clearing the runway, in which case you're probably flying too big a pattern).
Now I'm really confused. People are implying that I am FOS since my concept of final approach does not extend infinitely along the FAC and you are telling me that it does not matter. It might matter if I am flying IFR practice approaches in VFR conditions self vectoring for the FAF when somebody announces 12 mile final. I would probably break it off since I abhor conflict, at least while flying.

Now I'm really confused. People are implying that I am FOS since my concept of final approach does not extend infinitely along the FAC and you are telling me that it does not matter. It might matter if I am flying IFR practice approaches in VFR conditions self vectoring for the FAF when somebody announces 12 mile final. I would probably break it off since I abhor conflict, at least while flying.

Don't be confused -- flying is about judgment, but fortunately it ain't too complex:

At a non-towered field:
Is an SR-71 on 12 mile final?
Let it land.

A Cessna 172?
Do three touch and goes (you have time).

A Sturchenpuss 322?
I don't know what that is either -- wait and see or better yet ask, "Hey, Sturchenpuss landing at East Podunk -- what's your groundspeed?"

At a towered field: Listen to the voice on the radio.

You've got a 400W/500W-series GPS hooked to your VSI, and the VSI tells you if you're above or below the glide path? This I gotta see...including the 337 for the installation.

The military took away your sense of humor didn't it?

But if you want all you have to do is keep that page open on the 430 which indicates your descent rate to hit your altitude, and if your VSI is above or below that then you are above or below the "glide slope"

Last edited:
Back