Patello-Femoral Syndrome Question

U

Unregistered

I finally went to the doc today for knee pain over the past year. It was finally getting to the point to were it was annoying. Anyway the doc diagnosed me with Patello-femoral Syndrome and gave me a referral for PT over six weeks. He said I was predisposed to have this because of a major leg fracture and cutting my leg open over my knee in elementary school. Anyway I need to get an updated medical soon before my CFI checkride. So can I go ahead a get my new 1st class now or do I have to wait until my PCP signs me off on my knee?

You need to document the visit, but it would not be DQ.

You need to document the visit, but it would not be DQ.

Ok. Either you or Bruce.. Do I need a letter from both my PCP and the PT doc or just my PCP? My PCP said he will be happy to but only after treatment which I completely understand.

IF the AME can see you essentialy put power to the knee in a deep knee bend position and arise from a 90 degree bend on the power of that affected, knee you unequivocally only have an impediment, not an impairment, and you are airworthy.

"Patellofemoral femoral pain with no impairment of power or range of motion" does it for this condition. If it's too painful to demonstrate that, then you have an aeromedical problem.

The doc said that I have range of movement and that it appears to only be atrophy of my thigh muscle. So basically I need to at least wait until after my first PT session.

If you can meet the criteria for the DX, you do not need to wait for the PT eval. You can demonstrate the physical ability to your AME and that's all you should need. Why make it more complicated than necessary? As an orthopaedic surgeon, I would judge this by your ability to squat and then arise without excessive difficulty.

I can do that with ease. This all stems from my leg being cut open to the bone right above my knee in 4th grade. All they did was stitch me up and didn't check my tendons or anything.

If you can meet the criteria for the DX, you do not need to wait for the PT eval. You can demonstrate the physical ability to your AME and that's all you should need. Why make it more complicated than necessary? As an orthopaedic surgeon, I would judge this by your ability to squat and then arise without excessive difficulty.
Amen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back