Past use of Paxil & 3rd Class

U

Unregistered

Apologies if this is a repeat, I tried reading past threads but got conflicting information.

I previously had a 3rd class regular-issuance medical that has since lapsed. I am looking to possibly renew it, but am wondering if I should risk it.

Items I am concerned about:

1) I had a stroke at birth due to physical phenomenon (overly fast birth). Somewhat reduced range of motion, fine motor on one side. At my last medical in 2007, I presented a whole bunch of documentation including a letter from my then doctor describing how I have overcome physical limitations, taken flight training, motorcycling, rock climbing, etc... without accommodation & the condition is inherently stable and stroke is non-repeatable. 3rd Class issued in office, no restrictions.

2) After getting the previous medical (and stopping flying for awhile) , I moved away from the area. In Nov/Dec 2012, I went to my new doctor for help with lifestyle disruptions (sleep, tiredness, anxiety) due to a rough patch at work. The doctor diagnosed it as general anxiety and prescribed the usual (working out, eating better, cutting back at work, actually taking vacation days); and also a 1-month prescription of Paxil to take the edge off while I dealt with a major short-term CF and deadline. Time passed, I made it through, work eased up, I stopped taking Paxil when the pills ran out. No abnormal indications since.

I'm now looking at returning to flying. My questions are:
1) Will this mess up my chances for a medical?
2) If I can get a medical, should I look for a Senior AME / HIMS AME; or is this cut-and-dried enough for a regular AME? Should I put it in MedXpress or explain it to the AME and let them write it up?
3) Any recommendations for an AME in the Ventura/Santa Barbara/LA area?

Thanks!

I should add that I would go to the AME who signed-off on my previous medical, but he has passed away since then.

Okay, so for an exposure that you CAN DOCUMENT is less than 6 months (medical records, pharmacy records etc) the AME is permitted to "MAKE THE CALL".

So make his life easy, go with all the documentation!!
I think you should use a HIMS AME, actually......we're the psych credentialed FAA guys.

Yes, AMEs have ratings too (it's FAA, remember?).
They are:

AME
Senior AME
Advanced AME
HIMS AME.

and so it goes.

Went to the HIMS AME for a consultative visit today and heard the magic words: "I can issue in-office"!

Just need to have my letter revised a bit, then go back for the actual medical exam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back