Password Utility

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
In my previous thread about using drop box Mike suggested a password utility called LastPass. Since I just got my replacement DroidX and I didn't have too much in the password utility I used called Pocket I did a bit of research ( as much as an Untechie can do) and checked out LastPass. I have to say it sure seems impressive. Not only stores your passwords but unlike the pocket utility it generates a different secure password for what ever you need and remembers them for you plus you can access it from anywhere, laptop, mobile , FBO computer etc.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch to Lastpass. Cool stuff and like pocket data is encrypted. PLUS if I need a new phone again it makes it much easier to put the data back on the mobile.

Just make sure you have a secondary way to access any password data if you drop your phone and shatter it...

You want something that stores the data somewhere else other than a fragile mobile device where you can get at it if you need it.

And you want *that* datastore encrypted and a way to authenticate (usually password) that allows you to unencrypt and still get to your passwords.

For the ultra-paranoid, you also want a very simple mechanism to destroy both the local and remote copies of your password file.

Reason: Your elected and appointed Judges in many jurisdictions have made it clear that your government can "compel" you to cough up any password they please with very weak probable cause.

Crossing the U.S. border is considered enough reason to do so by at least one Judge so far. No crime alleged or any probable cause. Just "we want to see what's on your laptop".

Other methods exist to create hidden encrypted files that give so-called "plausible deniability" that they even exist, but destroying them and not knowing the passwords is certainly quite effective.

You can always go through the password recovery process with a human or whatever's needed, on each system you need access to, later.

So far no Judge has gone so far as to require someone do that... yet.

Just some thoughts on desirable features. Everyone can utilize the different levels of insanity per their own individual paranoia level... ;)

I love LastPass. I put my medicine list in a secure note so I can give it to new doctors.

Just be aware that the mobile apps aren't free. The nerve of these guys expecting to be paid. :rolleyes:

Just make sure you have a secondary way to access any password data if you drop your phone and shatter it...
LastPass stores a local copy (encrypted, of course) on each device you install it on, so that you have access to those data if the Web is unavailable. Changes are synced to the cloud at the earliest opportunity, thence out to all other devices (similar to how Dropbox works).

Passwords can also be accessed via any web-connected device without any software installation (by logging in to the LastPass website).

I love LastPass. I put my medicine list in a secure note so I can give it to new doctors.

Just be aware that the mobile apps aren't free. The nerve of these guys expecting to be paid. :rolleyes:

App store says it is free for the droid

Back