Passenger Prop Strike

and ever since, you could scare the crap out him by sneaking up behind with a vacuum cleaner...
I'd imagine you could sneak up behind him with a full brass band for a while.

Nauga,
who doesn't want to be that close to the sound of freedom

Pauls, as to doing a preflight, there is no reason to stick your head or body in the prop arc. If you want to see prop nicks, just look at them or if you insist run a finger over the edge. And you check a landing light by turning it on, not by kneeling at the lens. As for belts, I don't have any belted planes, but if I did I would likely open the cowling, STANDING BEHIND THE PROP ARC, AND LOOK AT THE BELT. If you want to check a tire on your car do you crawl under it while its on jacks or just check the tire by sight?
But for some reason you seem to want to find exception rather than understanding what I am saying. When pilots pose for photos leaning on a prop or standing in the arc, often with kids or a spouse, there is no maintenance need and its just careless and foolish. I have a Cub which we hand prop, no starter, but you can bet we don't stand in the prop path when we are doing that.
What if you need to service a plane by adding oil or coolant to the engine, just like I did for 36 years. Fine, I walk around behind the prop arc keep my hand on the front of the wing and do whatever is needed. I don't take a shortcut through the prop path.

Pauls, as to doing a preflight, there is no reason to stick your head or body in the prop arc. If you want to see prop nicks, just look at them or if you insist run a finger over the edge. And you check a landing light by turning it on, not by kneeling at the lens. As for belts, I don't have any belted planes, but if I did I would likely open the cowling, STANDING BEHIND THE PROP ARC, AND LOOK AT THE BELT. If you want to check a tire on your car do you crawl under it while its on jacks or just check the tire by sight?
But for some reason you seem to want to find exception rather than understanding what I am saying. When pilots pose for photos leaning on a prop or standing in the arc, often with kids or a spouse, there is no maintenance need and its just careless and foolish. I have a Cub which we hand prop, no starter, but you can bet we don't stand in the prop path when we are doing that.
What if you need to service a plane by adding oil or coolant to the engine, just like I did for 36 years. Fine, I walk around behind the prop arc keep my hand on the front of the wing and do whatever is needed. I don't take a shortcut through the prop path.
You have some good ideas, but I will point out that it’s nearly impossible to thoroughly inspect the air filter on many single engine airplanes without ducking down and looking at it, which naturally places yourself very close, if not within the prop arc.

Im not discounting the fact that the prop arc is a dangerous place, but the odds of the engine just firing out of complete random without any physical contact with the prop is second to none.

Paul you miss my point or maybe dont want to hear it. Its a bad habit to stick your body and double so that of a spouse or kid in a prop arc. If you do it casually while its not running one day you may do it when it is running.
If you honestly believe there is likely to be something wrong with a Cessna air filter that requires putting your neck in the prop arc, then frankly you dont know where the real dangers of flying are.

I saw it clearly and it seems so improbable that even now I cant really believe it. There was a very clear video of a crewman sucked into a jet intake on the side of the plane, could have been an A-6, not sure. It happened in a second and there was a flash of light and HE CAME OUT THE BACK OF THE ENGINE AND WAS ALIVE AND IN ONE PIECE !!

It is true. Same thing happened to me in flight school. I walked too close to a Bell 206 and got sucked up into the intake. Fortunately I never made it into the engine and the particle separator spit me out the side. Lucky to be alive.

You have some good ideas, but I will point out that it’s nearly impossible to thoroughly inspect the air filter on many single engine airplanes without ducking down and looking at it, which naturally places yourself very close, if not within the prop arc.

Im not discounting the fact that the prop arc is a dangerous place, but the odds of the engine just firing out of complete random without any physical contact with the prop is second to none.

Can’t remove/replace cowl fasteners on my airplane without reaching hands/tools/arms right through the prop arc. I guess that Cessna company is a bunch of idiots. ;)

I always wipe bugs off after I land, and that includes the cowl and prop. Only danger I’ve ever been in was having my beer get knocked over or warm while I’m happily wiping down my airplane. :D

As for as removing cowl fasteners on a Cessna, are you doing that out on the line as part of a preflight and postflight? If you are actually removing the cowls as part of pre and post, where are you getting that from? I have never seen that on any factory Cessna checklist in the dozen or so Cessnas that I have flown. So except for maintenance, usually in a shop, I don't see the need to remove a cowl on the line. A 150 has a door in the cowl to check oil etc. I don't have a Cessna manual in front of me, perhaps you can quote that part of yours?
And of course if you did get hit by a 150 prop its small and might not be fatal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back